Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Keith00923

Talking on the radio

15 posts in this topic

Do you think that it is better to talk a lot on the radio but have a third of it be not necessary or have a company who doesn't talk enough but when they do it is important?

Less, to the point and important

And an early, descriptive size up.....let us know what is going on!

It's all about quality over quantity. I've worked with people who could, in a matter of just a few words, convey an entire story and I've worked with people who would talk for an hour and leave you more confused than when you started. I catch myself sometimes and remind myself that less is more!

Of course there are times that the situation dictates that you transmit a long message but we all have to remember that other people use the frequency and they may have something equally important to say (just 'cause you're the IC doesn't mean you're the only one with an important message!)

Get the message out, then shut up and LISTEN! Remember, to be truly effective communications is TWO WAY!

As a dispatcher for some time now.. I live by one Acronym- KISS- Keep It Simple Stupid- Unfortunately its not lived by many in Putnam

Is it necessary to give the ENTIRE story of a M.E. each time the tones are hit or would it be better (to save time) and just say--ABC VAC--you need a driver and an EMT for your call at 123 main st?

For me the first dispatch gets all the info, cross streets specific med prob, determinate level; any dispatch after, i say just the dept whats needed and exact address

Get it in, get it out. Get to the point.

Is it necessary to give the ENTIRE story of a M.E. each time the tones are hit or would it be better (to save time) and just say--ABC VAC--you need a driver and an EMT for your call at 123 main st?

This is a problem in my area. The dispatchers give too much info! I guess the opposite would be far worse but...Not that it's not nice to have extra info, but most of it is truly unnecessary. For example, when sent for chest pain, what more do you need? Almost no other information will change the response unless it turns into an arrest or the patient has left. The last two years medical history doesn't help, as the crew will ask it all over again anyway. Our dispatchers have little to no medical training so they aren't sure what's important and what isn't and given the amount of other information they must learn, it's understandable.

In general most companies in my area talk way to much on the radio. Most have received portable radios through a local comms grant, and now the members suddenly feel they need to talk. It's stupid hearing 6 portable go enroute to a grass fire in their POV's. They think they sound important, we think they sound like idiots.

I wish our dispatchers gave too much information. We usually need to ask for a cross street...

In my experience, turning out units should be very simple.

If you have designated alarm assignments/run cards announce them.

Location, Cross Streets, room number/floor number

Type of Emergency/Fire.

Example

17-2-3, 17-4-4, 17-6-1 Respond, 231 Towners Road near Crestwood Road, Fire reported in a private house.

31-7-2, Medic 4 Respond, R and D Music, Route 52(or is it referred to as Smadbeck Avenue over that way??) and Fair Street patient with chest pains and difficulty breathing.

Any additional information can be passed on while units are enroute, more calls, pertinent medical information such as a change in patients condition, etc.

I agree with the sentiment that when you are banging out tones for a driver/EMT/crew members. Just who you're paging, what you require and location is enough.

They think they sound important, we think they sound like idiots.

Important idiots... :P

One point to remember.

You are not on the phone...a lot of people hear your transmission.

Watch what you say and how you say it.

Use the radio so everybody can hear what you're up to, but only say what needs to be said and try not to sound like a chump.

Dispatchers, speak when spoken to..prompt the IC only when needed.