Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ems-buff

Empress EMS in the old days.....

29 posts in this topic

I still loved the old skool Ram Chargers!

Never forget the first time I drove one - made the turn up the hill from Nep onto Ashburton and the rear hatch opooed open on me...littered gear all up Ashburton!

I remember hearing this story.... From some of the oldtimers..... Um any other story you want to share... Love hearing these stories..

I remember hearing this story.... From some of the oldtimers..... Um any other story you want to share... Love hearing these stories..

Ohhhh there are TONS of stories out there.....not sure the statue of limitations has expired on most of them....

One of my favorites was a winter day...working with one of my favorite partners (now a career FF) and we were sitting "Post 25" (SBP south of WMC) a perfect parking lot with a 3 inch coat of fresh snow...

I am the driver of course - I was one of theose who LIKED being an "ambulance driver"....

I decide to practice "inclement weather drinving, stopping, and turning techniques" and bust out a perfect donut...not happy with that - I wanted to leave a perfect figure 8 in the snow...started through it..all good...turned to go the other way and it bogged down, getting stuck...Now we could call for help, but the snow was all tore up and it was obvious what happened....

We tried to get it unstuck....rocked it, he pushed it...I pushed it...we BOTH pushed it (open rear doors, put in drive, feather gas, get tires spinning, get out run to the back and push - if it got traction one of us would simply hop in the back and into the driver seat...RIGGGHHHT!). We shoved crap under the rear tires...backboards, short boards...you name it...I spit a short board 60 feet across the lot!

Finally they call us to come back to the city.....no way...we are stuck!

We call for help...the send Bobby Martinez - God rest his soul - but by some stroke of luck - I tried one last time to get loose and it pulled out with ease....THANK GOODNESS!

No harm, no foul....no problem!

Nothing like EVOC coruse in the snow..... LMAO

Quick one before I go for the night....sitting on Post 1 - up at Dunwoodie Gold Course before they kicked us out of there (running a "private company from a county property").......nice afternoon...working with my favorite partner ever - Billy "The Hammer" Rothschild...

It is quite - he is napping and I am reading a magazine, enjoying a dip of Skoal....spitting into a bottle...

We get alerted for an E-Job, so I start off down the hill..Billy awakes and takes a drink from his bottle....except.....he actually picked up my swill bottle....and took a big gulp of my chewing tobacco spit...

Without skipping a beat - I pass him my full bottle of Gatorade, and he downs it.....not a word was spoken...

He kept lunch down....amazing!~

LOL. I remember hearing that story once or twice. :) I keep yelling at my tobacco chewing partners to not leave their nasty spit bottles around because of it. :)

Oh.I got to ask billy boy about that one, next time he works mamaroneck.... Danny what's with that picture of you and the snake on FB... Looks like your enjoying that right there.....

Oh.I got to ask billy boy about that one, next time he works mamaroneck.... Danny what's with that picture of you and the snake on FB... Looks like your enjoying that right there.....

The snake was a pet of one of our best ladies ever - Lisa...it snuck into her bag one day and she unknowingly brought it to work...it crawled out, caused quite a stir, but I managed to get the testicular fortitude to hold it.....I was freakin out!

My god it was differant back.... Mark-b with hair... Had more company morale... What I would of give to have work back then with great people that are now far better then they have ever been... Ya know I wish the county fair would come back to westchester and yonkers, just so I can experiance the stories jono told me.... Lol

Its funny hearing stories of the old Empress. I worked for Eastern Paramedics at the tail end of its hay day before they sold out. They were very similar companies. Even had the same kinda sups mobile.

Same circus, different clowns. Good times.

Tommy loved that Ram Charger before he got his Tahoe. I have a pic somehwere of it.......

I thought this Expedition was brand new....thanks for the info....weird how the Supervisors always seems to get the hand me downs, usually from Yorktown. With Yorktown due for a new car later this year, I'm sure the current Yorktown flycar will become a backup Yonkers supervisor car/backup Yorktown car.

Also, how's the Pelham Tahoe doing? Is that due for replacement soon?

Actually I was referring to the explorer - is that the old Harrison car?

Tommy loved that Ram Charger before he got his Tahoe. I have a pic somehwere of it.......

I

I was Tommy's chaueffer for a long time in Car 2....I own the same style Tahoe now and sometimes reminisce the good old days driving it! LOL...

As Tommy would say..."You have three simple jobs.....Get me there...set me up...and clean up my mess."

Dodge Ram Charger - Story

Unit # 06

Back in I guess... Early 1992/93? I was riding with the EMS Supervisor, Paul Hansen.

I was riding as an "Observer"

We were in Yonkers and called to Mount Vernon for a Shooting to back up MV unit.

While responding (Lights & Siren) we hit a bump in the road, All of the Lights, Siren, Radios went OFF.

Thankfully we still had Headlights being it was 2 AM.

As we continue down the road we hit another bump and all the the Lights, Siren, Radios come back ON.

The look on people's faces as we would go thru and intersection Code 3 then "POOF" everything OFF

back ON back OFF.

This went on for several miles!

We called in OOS and continued in normal driving (until the next bump in the road) lol

:rolleyes:

I thought this Expedition was brand new....thanks for the info....weird how the Supervisors always seems to get the hand me downs, usually from Yorktown. With Yorktown due for a new car later this year, I'm sure the current Yorktown flycar will become a backup Yonkers supervisor car/backup Yorktown car.

Also, how's the Pelham Tahoe doing? Is that due for replacement soon?

Wow sound's like some of the 50 series we have now... Although I must say, Fleet service has gotten alot better....

Love those stories guys. And by the way, You guys do a Great Job out there. You very seldom get the Credit you deserve. Thanks ! !

Empress lot around the time I started with them in 1997:

(Sorry for the quality, this is a scanned photo)

Photo by me:

post-11-1249594990.jpg

And Truck 6, the Dodge Charger....

post-11-1249595501.jpg

The man responsible for "EmpressEMS.com" being on the first ambulance, as well as being half of the team that put the "Tac" in "Tac" (with the other half being EMT F. Califano)

post-11-1249595796.jpg

And Tommy's Truck 2:

post-11-1249595913.jpg

Quick one before I go for the night....sitting on Post 1 - up at Dunwoodie Gold Course before they kicked us out of there (running a "private company from a county property").......nice afternoon...working with my favorite partner ever - Billy "The Hammer" Rothschild...

It is quite - he is napping and I am reading a magazine, enjoying a dip of Skoal....spitting into a bottle...

We get alerted for an E-Job, so I start off down the hill..Billy awakes and takes a drink from his bottle....except.....he actually picked up my swill bottle....and took a big gulp of my chewing tobacco spit...

Without skipping a beat - I pass him my full bottle of Gatorade, and he downs it.....not a word was spoken...

I remember when he got back to post 7 he was pissed!!!!

Somewhere, in maze of dusty boxes reminiscent of the Indiana Jones warehouse for the lost ark, I have pictures of the Ram Charger fly cars when they were brand new with a couple of ambulances that were (at the time) almost new. If I get the courage to go rummaging I'll see if I can scan and post them.

Boy, aren't digital pictures GREAT! If you know where your computer is you know where your pictures are.

I also remember the old station in the garage opposite Yonkers General Hospital and a certain crew coming out for an early morning call only to find the ambulance cab completely filled with rubber glove balloons. Harmless fun but what a trail they left going down Nepperhan... :lol:

Speaking of Ashburton...back in the day, we could monitor YPD on the portables...

I was in a gas ambulance, Ambulance 29, on a Saturday 4 x 12......one of the last 3 gassers we had...

I was going up Ashburton, hammer down....now if you REALLY were hammering, put it in neutral, turned it off then back on REAL quick - it would backfire and blow a HUGE a** flame out of the tailpipe........but towards the end of it's life, if you merely let your foot off on 29, same thing...

So up Ashburton I go...everytime I let off ***BANG***!!!!!

I heard YPD put out shots fired Ashburton and Summit.............then ifo YGH..........Ashburton and Warburton.......LOL...they never realized it was little ole me in a beat up bus.....thank goodness!

Danny....What else can i say but.....I really miss those days.

Funny how after all these years we (129,307,911,700,701,x635...) have a strong yearning for a place, time, and system that in its own day disgusted us...

you are certainly one of the best 129...

Edited by X307

Old days??You are talking in the early 90's................Lets go back to the 80's when 14 was hit broadside @ Ashburton & Nepperhan & flipped....Tony was driving that day. How about when 10 Burst into flames? or when 2 of the OLD busses rear-ended each other on South Broadway comming back from the Racetrack............... How deep do you want to go....LOL

Billy was your FAVORITE PARTNER? I am now crushed!!

Old days??You are talking in the early 90's................Lets go back to the 80's when 14 was hit broadside @ Ashburton & Nepperhan & flipped....Tony was driving that day. How about when 10 Burst into flames? or when 2 of the OLD busses rear-ended each other on South Broadway comming back from the Racetrack............... How deep do you want to go....LOL

I remember when 10 burned up on the Sprain. I think it was 10 that got hit and flipped in Mt.Vernon with Sue driving also before it burned.

I remember back when Dum-Dum and I worked Thursday BLS shuck truck.....we would wear our cowboy hats....tape a homemade spitoon to the doghouse in the cab....run around crazy...we were the only unit to pick up Ms. T in the Bronx by ourselves...and she was a BIG ONE!

We did an e-job in Schroeder Street.....complete with cowboy hats....NO ONE would talk to us....they was scared of the tobbacy spitting rednecks in cowboy hats.

We did an e-job in Schroeder Street.....complete with cowboy hats....NO ONE would talk to us....they was scared of the tobbacy spitting rednecks in cowboy hats.

Gonna have to try that one.....

I will try that this thursday on TAC-4 lol