Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Peekskill NY. Main Fire Station Info

31 posts in this topic

Can Anyone Give Me More Info On Peekskill New Main Station. All I Know Is It Might Be Put Where Cross Road Shoping Ceter Is Now & It Might Look Like This

post-18279-1250542886.jpg

Can you give us some more info? What is the price? When will they be breaking ground? It looks large, will this be combing any houses? What will be stationed there? Thanks.

Is that every apparatus in town? Will there still be other stations staffed or will they all be closed?

How many do you think will be closing? I dont know much about Peekskills stations.

All The Engine Co. But 130 Tower Ladder 45 Rescue 134. & I Think One Of Two Fire Dept. Medic Car Utility 17 CO. Truck. Cost Is Estimated To Be $ 16-$ 17 Million. The Money From A F.E.M.A Fund.

Cost Is Estimated To Be $ 16-$ 17 Million. The Money From A F.E.M.A Fund.

Please explain F.E.M.A fund? Are you refering to the FEMA Assistance to Firefighters Fire Station Construction Grants?

The size of the station looks like a little over-kill to me.

Ya That What I Mean

I would think it would be a little premature to count on the FEMA Assistance to Firefighters Fire Station Construction Grants since they have not started to award them and the maximum they will give is $5 million.

I Know I Think Thay Rased The Rest.

Congratulations to my hometown fire department. I lived in Peekskill from 1972 until 1987.

The size of the station looks like a little over-kill to me.

I think I remember reading somewhere, where it is not just the FD moving into this building, maybe a new town hall or other village agencies/offices.

Surely this is a civic centre as well, I thought we had a big station !

Let's not put the cart before the horse folks. This is a proposed new building and has not been set in stone. The current administration would like to put it where the Crossroads Shopping Center now stands. The problem is the shopping center is privately owned and the City will need to either purchase the property or take control by other means. That being said, it is not feasible to think that they will break ground this fall. There are still quite a few details that need to be worked out before this building comes to be.

As far as cost, you are looking at over $15 million combining the actual construction costs and aquisition costs.

Just wondering can anyone tell me why Peekskill needs that big of a fire house Armonk as a big fire house but damn peekskill want to make their fire house 2x bigger then the county center i mean come on seriously get real people

Just wondering can anyone tell me why Peekskill needs that big of a fire house Armonk as a big fire house but damn peekskill want to make their fire house 2x bigger then the county center i mean come on seriously get real people

I was thinking the same thing, but the artist rendition makes it look like it's a lot more than just a firehouse; maybe they attached a new public library, or city hall as well?

Who said it was going to be twice the size of the county center? As PFD165 said this is very, VERY far from being final. As far as the size goes, it's going to be housing 3-4 engines, a rescue, a tower ladder, 1-2 paramedic flycars, and a utility vehicle. This station is also going to have to serve as the living quarters of the on duty career staff as well as the volunteers, meaning two separate "living" areas including lounge, sleeping quarters, etc. It will have a large meeting/training room, which will also be used for any public assemblies. For the most part just about every square foot has a purpose and it is being designed with the future in mind(more apparatus, increased staffing, etc). Yes it is a $15 million project, but it is going to be way more efficient than our current stations, which to bring up to "standard" would probably cost more than $15m. Six separate fuel eating, insect/rodent infested stations just don't make sense for the Peekskill FD anymore.

Yes it is a $15 million project, but it is going to be way more efficient than our current stations, which to bring up to "standard" would probably cost more than $15m. Six separate fuel eating, insect/rodent infested stations just don't make sense for the Peekskill FD anymore.

See, who says career and volunteer can't agree? Great point.

but seriously look at armonk's fire house thats even to big isthis coming out of the taxpayers money my personal opinion PFD does not need no where near that much space that is just way to big for any fire house what's wrong with the trucks you guys have yeah are mostly new

Clarifying my earlier point: This is the municipal equivalent of trading in your rusty 15 year old pick-up truck for a more economical car. After the initial sticker shock, you can end up saving quite a bit after factoring in fuel consumption and maintenance. Continuing that analogy, any possible savings is wiped off the board if you decide to purchase something like a Cadillac.

That architectural rendering is what happens when everyone with input into the project has a dream of what they'd like to see included. "It needs ten bays, and they should be drive through, and a 300 person hall, and a museum!"* Go to a firm with snippets like that, hand them a check, and they'll design it for you. It's not their job to sit a person down and bring them back down to Earth, they're basically salesmen to a point. Now it's up to the city to scale that design back to something a little more reasonable.

When I first saw this rendering, I felt as a lot of you on this board felt, that thing is ridiculous. Hell, I still feel that way. However, the need is definitely there. Just two of the five stations PFD currently operates out of each use around 1,000 gallons of fuel oil per month in the winter. They also burn through the equivalent in electricity for AC all year round. That's right, the houses have such inefficient systems that the heat runs constantly, roasting certain areas necessitating the use of AC. Factor in the exponential rise in the cost of energy since the beginning of the decade, which shows no signs of slowing, and abandoning these buildings for something with new technology and without catastrophic design flaws starts to look like a good idea. There's also the fact that the City doesn't even own all of the firehouses the FD operates out of. So the city is actually paying rent to house some of its equipment (in a firehouse that abuts the district line, no less).

You come to the point where you realize that dumping money into something just isn't yielding much of a return. Last year, a firehouse was shut down for health reasons, sustained thousands of dollars worth of damage, was repaired, and is now the same inefficient and unsanitary place it was before all that money went into it. The guys working there actually started a competition to see who could find the biggest roach and tape it to the wall. None of them were smaller then my thumb.

So yes, Peekskill is in desperate need of updated, centralized facilities. Yes, this rendering is a monolith that goes way too far with taxpayer money. Hopefully, that won't torpedo the cause in the upcoming political battle in Peekskill.

And no, nothing is wrong with our trucks, if that's what you meant to ask.

*Note that not all of those suggestions necessarily came from the Fire Dept

** Also note that I only speak for myself, not the department, union, or coworkers.

Edited by Raz

but seriously look at armonk's fire house thats even to big isthis coming out of the taxpayers money my personal opinion PFD does not need no where near that much space that is just way to big for any fire house what's wrong with the trucks you guys have yeah are mostly new

What does Armonk's firehouse have to do with this?

I don't think any rational person wants to work side-by-side with roaches in a place they have to work/sleep in and it appears to be obvious that most, if not all of the buildings are in terminal condition.

Based on what i've read here, it sounds like Peekskill is taking a proactive step in the right direction in considering long-term goals of the fire department.

I have to agree with Raz; and to add my personal opinion.

This one facility would replace 5 stations. There is consolidation of a lot of space and utility into a more cost effective package. Each station's 2 to 3 restrooms are not going to be carried over for 10 to 15 restrooms. Each company is not going to have its own hall. I think you get my point there.

Adding to Raz's analogy about cars: what is more efficient, Maintaining and Running 5 clunkers, (poorly in some cases) or 1 nicely equipped tour bus?

And, not to put the working conditions of the career staff aside; some of these facilities have fallen into a state which one could describe as, 'disrepair' and the need for major renovations would be without question if consolidation doesn't happen. Just because they are paid to be there; doesn't mean that they should have to lay their heads down in conditions that we wouldn't allow our family to. Some things are sometimes that simple.

There comes a time when running a handful of clunkers becomes penny wise and dollar foolish.

This plan may not have universal support but is supported by most volunteers, career staff and city officials because frankly; it makes sense.

Again, this is all my opinion and I speak for no one but me

Thanks Jimmy. Both career and volunteer are hurt by the current conditions. Some more examples that would need to be addressed:

-An ongoing drainage problem has led to the removal of all the Sheetrock and drop ceiling tiles in the gym at station 5. New materials were purchased, but never installed, because the drainage problem can't be fixed.

-In the same station, black mold was discovered to have formed in the floor of the career quarters (water seems to be a recurring issue at the place). Giving credit to the city, they immediately fixed the situation, but it's only a matter of time before the problem rears it's head again.

-Some of the restrooms (stations 3 & 5) could definitely use repair. I believe station 5 is down to one working toilet.

-None of the stations are equipped with a way to capture diesel particulates. I'm not sure if some of the stations could be so equipped, even if the money for the systems existed. This is especially problematic in stations 2 & 4, which have kitchens and living quarters located directly behind the apparatus bay, separated only by interior doors that aren't exactly airtight.

There's also all the odd jobs that don't quite fall into the "fixing up stations in disrepair" category. Things like adding sprinklers to station 1, or reflooring station 3. Jobs like that are going to add up over the next 30 years; or more likely end completely, thus accelerating the decline of the existing firehouses. After all, the city isn't going to be doing much preventative maintenance if they can't stay ahead of the curve with the dilapidated stuff.

Edited by Raz

Thats a hell of a sentence.

I just read two of your posts and can't understand either one !

Wow...I had no idea that you could become an expert in determining the square footage size needs of a municipal fire department in only 18 to 20 years of life and about 2 hours in the fire service. Apparantly it can develop much faster then phonetics and the understanding of the english language. You do realize that some of the people posting on here and the ones involved in the thought process of a new building in Peekskill have more time waiting for water then you have in the fire service. But by all means if you seem to think you have a grasp on what is needed, come on up with your drawings and plans and let them know. Maybe your used to a firehouse where the lights are off all night and more then likely many hours in the day..but that new station will be lived in 24/365 and when you invest taxpayer money, grants or no grants...you better damn make sure you get it right.

I'm not very knowledgable of Armonk's system, in regard to apparatus or even services provided, but I'm willing to bet its apples and oranges compared to Peekskill. First every square foot in any new building that will be built will be accounted for and based on all the needs that the FD needs and to the latest of industry standards and regulations. PFD provides fire suppression, prevention, EMS (both BLS and ALS), building inspections and training. Couple that with apparatus needs and if your going to be building a new central station you better sit down and take a look at where you are going to be in 5 years and where you think you may be in 10, 15, 20 and 25 years to boot because that building is going to be there longer then that.

Several posts have hit the nail on the head. New building will be more energy efficient, allow for true training facilities not present now, actually have storage space and office space for those who critically need it.

I have to agree with Tommy and Kevin on this as a member of a neighboring dept Peekskill needs it bad alot of there house are too far gone and would cost too much to repair. The trucks arent getting any smaller and like was said earlier you are putting 4 engines 1 Rescue 1 tower ladder 2 paramedic flycars plus you need areas for both career and volunteer plus bunk rooms training areas meeting space decon rooms offices for the officers equipment room. Alot of people think Peekskill is small because it's 4 square mile but it's spread out and they are really busy both fire and ems and they arent getting any smaller there is alot of developement going on. So to my friends in Peekskill good luck with the new house you do deserve it. It's well overdue.

Has there been any thought to reducing the number of front line engine companies to better staff the apparatus?

Just out of curiosity, how many square feet is the proposed building?