Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

New FDNY Spartan/Ferrara Collapse Unit Coming Soon

29 posts in this topic

Thats an interesting point that FDNY went with a Spartan Chassis on thier Ferrera Collapse Rig. The Spartan Chassis appears to be a very favorable Chassis these days. The Yonkers Fire Departments latest order with Smeal (2 Pumpers (New 309 & 313) , 1 Rescue/Pumper (New Squad 11), and 1 Rearmount Ladder (New Ladder 72) will all be mounted on Spartan Chassis (rather than HME's, to which all of the previously ordered Smeal Rigs by the Yonkers Fire Department were mounted on).

Looks like the beginnings of an FDNY rig. If you go down further you see a Silver Lake rig. Is this a different Dept from West Harrison or is there actuallly a dept called Silver Lake?

Maybe Siler Lake FD in Orange Co...

The New Spartan Gladiator looks really nice and it is actually my favorite chassis

PLEASE SAY IT AINT SO! SPARTANS IN NYC? WHAT NEXT...YELLOW GEAR??????????????????????????????????????

that's silver lake fd in orange county(middletown area)--100ft mm tl no pump or water replacing the current sutphen tl t-160

Which Collapse rig would this be replacing? I know 1, 2, 4 and 5 all have Macks, and 3's has the tractor-trailer. There are also the POD rigs, so will this be another extra piece or a replacement for something else?

No, this is not the first Spartan in the FDNY. There are currently 2 others, 1 is a Spartan/Aerialscope at TL53 and the other is a 1000/500 engine used as a funeral caisson.

Collpase 3 and Collapse 5 are being replaced, Silver Lake in OC is getting the TL replacing the Sutphen I shot a few weeks ago. The only other Spartans in FDNY are TL-53 and the Caisson.

They are replacing Collapse 3 with a smaller rig? Or are they getting another tractor-trailer?

Rescue 3 does not need the big truck anymore as you now have a Collapse rescue in every boro. For a long time they had the only unit in the city.

just my 2 cents.

Good point. Guess I didn't think of it that way.

I had heard and seen posts about the HME cabs they had for the 1990's version of the Rescue Companies and they were not liked at all, granted this was only from those who posted about them and worked on those rigs. Spartan is not a bad cab and chassis, far better from HME. Hope they have good luck with them, other big cities have.

How are the Ferrara engines working out, does anybody know firefighters that work off of them ? and how many do they have ?

How are the Ferrara engines working out, does anybody know firefighters that work off of them ? and how many do they have ?

There are only a handful, maybe 5. I worked in one once. 54 engine. It's very similar and a quick glance doesn't show much difference. From the cab back it's exactly the same as the Seagrave.

The inside felt a little smaller and they guys who are regularly assigned there said the same. They didn't seem to care for it one way or another.

One one level, a rigs a rig as long as it meets your specs. No one has made something so great that it can take several thousand runs a year over city streets/traffic.

The bottom line comes down to your spec. That's what the guys working the rig will care about. Do you have enough room in the back? How does it ride (is my spine compressed with every bump)? How do compartment doors hold up after being opened and closed a thousand times? How is the pump panel laid out? How fast and easy will you be able to move the aerial?

AND......how often do you have to unload 2700 ft of hose or 400 assorted hand tools and load them on the P.O.S. spare the shops sends you?

Reliable.....functional.....comfortable.........

That's all the guys seem to care about, not the name on the grill.

Edited by M' Ave

Collpase 3 and Collapse 5 are being replaced, Silver Lake in OC is getting the TL replacing the Sutphen I shot a few weeks ago. The only other Spartans in FDNY are TL-53 and the Caisson.

JBE, why are they replacing Collapse 5? Wasn't that built the same time as 1, 2, & 4?

Eddie

Collapse 5 is actually a 1982 american la france that was assigned to rescue 2 and was refurbed with a mack cab so it's been all over the place as far as going back to be rescue 2 after 9/11 and such

There are only a handful, maybe 5. I worked in one once. 54 engine. It's very similar and a quick glance doesn't show much difference. From the cab back it's exactly the same as the Seagrave.

The inside felt a little smaller and they guys who are regularly assigned there said the same. They didn't seem to care for it one way or another.

One one level, a rigs a rig as long as it meets your specs. No one has made something so great that it can take several thousand runs a year over city streets/traffic.

The bottom line comes down to your spec. That's what the guys working the rig will care about. Do you have enough room in the back? How does it ride (is my spine compressed with every bump)? How do compartment doors hold up after being opened and closed a thousand times? How is the pump panel laid out? How fast and easy will you be able to move the aerial?

AND......how often do you have to unload 2700 ft of hose or 400 assorted hand tools and load them on the P.O.S. spare the shops sends you?

Reliable.....functional.....comfortable.........

That's all the guys seem to care about, not the name on the grill.

Thats the answer that I was looking for thanks. Our truck commitee has experiance and this will be the 4th rig for me [ 1 rebuild 3 new ] .

Ferrara was also recently awarded the bid for the next batch of rear mount aerial ladders for the FDNY. No more Seagraves!

GMC was just awarded a bid for 80 GMC Sierra 2500HD's which will be used as Battalion, Division and EMS response vehicles. No more Ford Excursions.

Edited by mlfdco4

Ferrara was also recently awarded the bid for the next batch of rear mount aerial ladders for the FDNY. No more Seagraves!

Wow..............

I feel bad for the members. You would think the union would have more input on that stuff...

Well if we all remember the problems fairly recently FDNY had with Seagrave on repairs and other, it doesn't surprise me Ferrara got the contract. I wonder it they will use the UT-100 Smeal ladders on thier rigs, the ones Yonker's use.

No, this is not the first Spartan in the FDNY. There are currently 2 others, 1 is a Spartan/Aerialscope at TL53 and the other is a 1000/500 engine used as a funeral caisson.

But those were donated. and this was spec'd.....

But those were donated. and this was spec'd.....

I dont think TL 53 was a donation as the rig was in service before 9/11 as a demo then bought as a emergency replacement.

GMC was just awarded a bid for 80 GMC Sierra 2500HD's which will be used as Battalion, Division and EMS response vehicles. No more Ford Excursions.

THE FDNY HAS NOT released the bid on the rearmount ladders and the contract has NOT been awarded to Ferarra.

Im pretty sure 53 trucks rig was donated. I had the old 53 which is now at CTS which was an 02 I think. All I want is AC that works! Who cares what it looks like.

Edited by roofsopen

It would be interesting if FDNY, especially for some of their Bronx Ladder Companies, might consider the Smeal UT-100 Rearmount Ladder, spec'd exactly like the Yonkers FD Rigs (with a Spartan Cab)? It just might be that Fererra came in as the lowest bid and met the spec's that FDNY had. However, Yonkers has done a terrific job getting those UT-100 Smeals when they switched over from the Seagraves.