Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
billfitz

YFD - Mack CF out of mothballs

18 posts in this topic

Due to late delivery of 2 ALF pumpers - YFD has pulled the Mack CF (formerly E-306) currently E-298 out of Mothballs to use for upcoming training academy - the rig is currently at the shop getting a PM and a good once over. This rig will be used for training only and will not see front line service.

And, hopefully after delivery of the 2 new ALF's and Smeals, we'll see Engine 306 restored and go into a Yonkers FD musuem....or mothballed again until that can be accomplished!

Chief Fitz - What are the plans for the Mack CF (Engine 298) once the Probie Academy is completed? I had once heard that YFD was going to do a complete overhaul on that rig, since it was (as I had heard) the last Mack CF off of the assembly line. Also was going to dedicate it in memory of Chief Chris Kiernan and use it for parades (along with the 195x ALF Mid Mount that YFD reconditioned).

Can you let us know

Much thanks !!!

unfortunately there is only 1 left - I beleive the other went to Brookfield a few years ago

Due to late delivery of 2 ALF pumpers - YFD has pulled the Mack CF (formerly E-306) currently E-298 out of Mothballs to use for upcoming training academy - the rig is currently at the shop getting a PM and a good once over. This rig will be used for training only and will not see front line service.

Do you know which shop - the one near 470 Nep or the DPW one further up near the McDonalds? I'll try to stop by tomorrow and take a couple shots.

There's a guy in PA who has the last pure all-Mack CF (ex-Westbury, NY). Bet he'd like to have the last overall as a nice companion piece.

I'd like to have it, too, but a lack of money and a CDL would kind of put a damper on those hopes. I just hope something good comes of it. "Scrap" and "junk" are four letter words in this business, especially with a piece of history like that!

As mentioned earlier, it would be a great tribute to the late Chief Chris Kiernan, if this rig (E298, ex306) would be totally reconditioned, similiar in nature to what YFD did with that old ALF Mid Mount Aerial Ladder that they use for parades. It would be really sad if, after this Probie School, that YFD puts this rig out for auction. Again, maybe Chief Fitzpatrick can tell us what their plans are for this rig after the Probie School.

Here is a photo of the Former Engine 306 Mack CF as apost-80-1253277063.jpg Code 3 Collectible)

Edited by 61MACKBR1

That pic isn't the Mack he's referring to- That's the 1986 Mack /Ward (long gone), the last one built was 6's 1992 Mack CF/Interstate...................

Here's some info on the rig from Harvey Eckart's book.

post-182-1253282787.jpg

Edited by R1SmokeEater

Here are 2 more photos of the Former Engine 306 Mack CF (One Real and the other The Code 3 Collectible)

That is 306's 1986 engine not the the one that is 298 now. The one for this topic is a 1992 that went to 14 first then later to 306. So this pic is not the correct one.

Sorry

Chris

Correction made and noted - Thanks !!

PS - Where did the 2nd Mack CF that was delivered go to (the 1st was originally 314 but quickly ended up at 306)

ALSO - Maybe Chief Fitz or R1Smokeater may know. I had read that this rig (E298) along with Ladder 79 (the one that was in Mount Vernon on loan for awhile) will be used for the upcoming YFD Probie Class. Does Pelham Manor still have Tower Ladder 77 (the Old Mack Baker TL) that Yonkers loaned to them?

Edited by 61MACKBR1

From the picture it looks like it is in decent shape.

298 to probie school

L-79 failed UL awaiting decision to fix or dispose of

TL-77 still at PMFD for a few more weeks