Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JBJ1202

Seatbelt Monitors in Apparatus

25 posts in this topic

When I was in Vestal for the flooding a few years back I was assigned to an Engine with a seatbelt system with at least an audible alarm. I think systems like the product below are a homerun in regards to safety, especially in apparatus that the drivers and officers cannot visually confirm that all the passengers are secured. Do any departments have something like this in place? Likes/Dislikes?

http://www.fireresearch.com/seatmonitor.php

JBJ

What Engine were u on?

I like em, it wont shut up unless u r buckled

Only the engine has that at my station , station 2

When I was in Vestal for the flooding a few years back I was assigned to an Engine with a seatbelt system with at least an audible alarm. I think systems like the product below are a homerun in regards to safety, especially in apparatus that the drivers and officers cannot visually confirm that all the passengers are secured. Do any departments have something like this in place? Likes/Dislikes?

http://www.fireresearch.com/seatmonitor.php

JBJ

I would bet that the vast majority of newer apparatus with these systems have them mysteriously "not working".

Correct me if I am wrong, but they are required in the new NFPA reccomendations?

I would bet that the vast majority of newer apparatus with these systems have them mysteriously "not working".

The problem with that, is it will catch up to you in court and ruin your day. The FDSOA has a lawyer who talks about it and says hes making a fine living off stupid stuff like this.

Any chief who allows members to damage dept. property and not address it is very foolish.

Correct me if I am wrong, but they are required in the new NFPA reccomendations?

Not recomandations, because all manufacturers are putting it in (or another version of the one shown) and charging you for them.

The new black boxes required will record that they are disconnected so don't even bother. There's only 2 ways around it. Either require all firefighters who get on the rig to weigh less than 60 lbs. or wear the seat belt.

Our newest piece has seatbelt monitoring. The audible is so loud you cannot stand to move the truck out onto the apron without buckling the seat. They work in conjunction with a "seat pressure" indicator so empty seats do not alarm. To "disable" them, I believe would be considered gross negligence. It would take either messing with the wiring or the occupant to manually clip in the belt then sit on it, clearly indicating his/her intent on recklessly not following the State seatbelt law. Nonetheless, I still contend my FD is 99.9% compliant, with the .1% being those operators and officers who allow the apparatus to move before all personnel are fully buckled. Sometimes finding the receiver is difficult on older apparatus with them being short and close to the engine tunnel and some of us have some accessory weight in the midriff.

Edited by antiquefirelt

The new black boxes required will record that they are disconnected so don't even bother. There's only 2 ways around it. Either require all firefighters who get on the rig to weigh less than 60 lbs. or wear the seat belt.

Or have each member acquire the "male" end of the buckle and plug it in when they get onboard. I have heard of this being done to get the Roadsafe systems in the Alamo rigs to shut up. I would never do it myself, of course.

The new Engine 2 Pierce Velocity in Greenwich, at Station 2 (cos cob), has the seat belt alarm. It slows you down getting out the door unless you dont pack up right away but I guess, in theory, thats one of the reasons for it.

Seatbelt alarm? You're a firefighter!! TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF!! Why do you need an electronic babysitter? I'm not a chauffeur and I'm not a boss, so I don't ride up front, but if I did I'd wear a seatbelt. In the back, I don't wear one and won't wear one. Maybe it's not the smartest thing, but there's a lot of other things going on and it's just something I don't take the time to do.

The point? You're a grown man/woman (at least I hope so), you can make the decision for yourself and deal with it.

And you could always just leave the seat belt buckled and sit in front of it. Not that I know anyone who does that, just an idea.

And you could always just leave the seat belt buckled and sit in front of it. Not that I know anyone who does that, just an idea.

There wouldnt be any point to that because you still wouldnt be able to get your pack on, atleast your pack acts somewhat like a seatbelt. I'd rather be packed and belted if it meant getting out the door slower and getting to the scene safe and ready to go.

Good thoughts

Or just wear the freakin' seatbelt and protect yourself!!! I can't believe the suggestions about how to get around this.

Seth...I think you mean the updated NFPA standard They are not recommendations. They are to be followed. For apparatus, NFPA 1901 Standard for Automotive Fire Apparatus is the minimum standard that apparatus are built to. If you deviate from that, somewhere along the line a waiver is going to be needed and only the mentally ill in most cases would pursue that. I know of some cases where this has happened, but this was due to the relocation of equipment that was not safety related. Then I've seen some that were mechanically involved such as changing the suspension to a lighter one then that specified by the manufacturer and finally sanity prevailed.

This is simple...and I have seen many ways of using the seatbelt clipped in to stop the alarms in apparatus, flycars and ambulances.....wear the damn thing. We in emergency services are supposed to be role models and teach people how to be safe. Seat belts go into that category as well. If your in a vehicle with me...you are wearing it or you are getting out. Your not going to put me at risk because of your actions. I wear mine 100% at work and in my POV.

GPD...that is an "idea" that you can keep to yourself. The only "idea" you should have about it...is to lobby those who don't...to wear it!

Seatbelt alarm? You're a firefighter!! TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF!! Why do you need an electronic babysitter? I'm not a chauffeur and I'm not a boss, so I don't ride up front, but if I did I'd wear a seatbelt. In the back, I don't wear one and won't wear one. Maybe it's not the smartest thing, but there's a lot of other things going on and it's just something I don't take the time to do.

The point? You're a grown man/woman (at least I hope so), you can make the decision for yourself and deal with it.

And many a boss or driver would then throw you off. I would. As the driver I am responsible for your well being in the rig. If the unexpected happens I don't want your body flying up and hitting me.

1) The new "black box" can tell if you put your weight back into the seat before or after you buckle the belt. If you buckle it 1st it will scream all the way to the call.

2) The new "black box" will document if you were wearing it when (not if) the accident occurs. If the dept has any policy/procedure, sop that requires seatbelts, the dept has some options at that point:

If you are career....The department can legaly refuse to pay the depts portion of your pension. If on probation: Fired, no medical nothing...thanks for nothing.

If volunteer....you may dropped from the dept.

3) if you injury anyone else because you are thrown against them, they can sue you, the driver and the officer who failed to supervise you.

Seatbelt alarm? You're a firefighter!! TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF!! Why do you need an electronic babysitter?

Yes take care of your self, that means do not get ejected or thrown around the rig.

I think many of the popsts in this thread are the reason we have the electronic babysitter...to many FF's cant or wont take care of themselves or their brothers.

I'm not a chauffeur and I'm not a boss, so I don't ride up front, but if I did I'd wear a seatbelt. In the back, I don't wear one and won't wear one. Maybe it's not the smartest thing, but there's a lot of other things going on and it's just something I don't take the time to do.

Then the driver and officer have a 200 Ibs projectile behind their heads waiting to kill them. And your family mayl sue them if you get killed, because of their negligence. Look at the case in Waterbury, and its not the 1st one.

And you question why we need an electronic babysitter. If this were true we would never need any officers, just let every member make every decision for themselves.

Any ambulances have this? I think its a great idea.

I saw and played with the Fire Research Seatbelt System at a trade show. They had one all set up, and you can play with it all you want. There is no way to "fool" the thing. It has several sensors of various types, including a parking brake sensor. It's smart and knows if you click the belt then sit in it, or just sit in it with no belt, or sit in it, click the belt, then unclick the belt, disconnect/cut the wires, it knows and it alarms. After trying for 10 minutes to try and fool the thing at the trade show, I felt very confident in it, and it's the exact system spec'ed out on our new truck. The readout tells you exactly which seat is not belted. Green light is good. Amber is "not buckled correctly/yet, but the parking brake is still on" Pull the parking brake in Amber mode, and it goes to red. Red light is the problem seat and the alarm sounds. And it's not a small little annoying alarm/buzzer.. It's a "holy cow, something is seriously wrong with the truck" type of alarm, and everyone in the 6 man cab can hear it very clearly, even over the engine noise and the Q....

As a driver, I wont move the rig out of the bay if someone is not seatbelted in (as is district policy), I dont care what the call is or how close by or what. You dont put on the seatbelt, I ask you once nicely. You dont comply, I tell the officer that Im not going anywhere until the member puts on the seatbelt and the officer/senior guy takes it from there. You dont want to listen to them, I assure you it's not going to have a positive outcome for the member if the officer picks up the radio and tells the Chief the truck is not responding due to a memeber not wearing their seatbelt.

Luckily, I have never had to go past the ask nicely stage.

Edited by 38ff

Spec'd into our new engine 58 but I don't think we will ever see a new rig !

Spec'd into our new engine 58 but I don't think we will ever see a new rig !

lol, Ill vote yes

And many a boss or driver would then throw you off. I would. As the driver I am responsible for your well being in the rig. If the unexpected happens I don't want your body flying up and hitting me.

Agree, hazard to all. dont go in with him

Well since I have been there and done that not wearing a seatbelt for my accident and falling onto the passenger I believe we should all wear our seat belts all the time, I learned several lessons that day and mention them anytime to anyone that asks about my accident. You can ask tanker10eng what it felt like having a 200+lbs guys fall on him. Many great comments have been made her that I completly agree with regarding seatbelt use. Why do we have to have a blackbox now? Because we all believe it will never happen to us but it will. We have OSHA and NFPA putting out standards and rules because we are to macho or dumb to take care of ourselves. I now wear my seatbelt all the time. When this law was created the genius lawmakers exempted emergency vehicles probably beacuse theyw ere afraid of the backlash from associations and unions. So for my 2 censt where your seatbelts all the time, they will save your life and those people riding with you. For those of you trying to find ways around the system, it would take you less time to buckle up. Accidents happen it is not a matter of if it is a matter of WHEN! Thos eof you that know me personally know I will talk to you one on one regarding my accident and my beliefs of the reasons it happend.

Edited by xchief2x

It's common sense to wear your seatbelts. They are there for a reason; you safety and the safety of the others in the truck.

Edited by gamewell45