Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Truck4

Suspect Arrested For Starting Fire That Killed FF Pat Joyce

28 posts in this topic

Rafael Roldan, 33, has been charged with second-degree murder, second-degree arson and second-degree burglary, all felonies. He had been evicted and broke into his former apartment the Thursday night setting two seperate fires before fleeing. Multiple witnesses came forward on the street and identified Roldan. Yonkers PD Detectives tracked him down Friday night.

Great job by the witnesses, the cops, and all involved....we all still pray for you all.

Good Job to all involved in the investigation and Arrest !

Great work by the YPD and the witnesses that came forward to ID this perp.

I know a lot of members gave you heat for temporarily witholding discsussion on this yesterday and didn't understand why, but I am thankful you did....the families did not know about this part yet at that time.

Thanks again to the EMTBravo staff for getting the right info out at the right times, and all your support, and god bless FF Joyce.

And, thanks to YPD for catching this guy!!!!

Edited by YonksFF

I agree. Kudos to Seth, Truck 4 and the others who monitor EMTBravo.net for the sensitivity to both the families and members of the Yonkers Fire Department. RIP FF Joyce. Also, great job by the YPD in their quick apprehention of this suspect. If they are holding him down at the Alexander Street City Jail, I would not want to be in his shoes at all. When it comes to this, Police, Fireman, Sanitation Workers will bond together like cement.

It's great news that the suspect has been quickly apprehended.

On behalf of the staff of EMTBravo I'd like to extend a heartfelt thanks to everyone for understanding our initial closure of posts. The reason discussions were suspended here on the forums is that the incident itself was a crime scene under active investigation, and that piece of information was NOT public. Additionally, the families of those involved may not have been notified, and we didn't want to be the ones to publish possibly undisclosed or misleading information.

There is a right way to do things and then there is the wrong way, we all agree on that. We all want information as soon as possible and sometimes get inpatient while waiting. In cases like this, I agree, it's best to wait and get the proper information out at the proper time. Great job EMTBravo staff. If you can't agree with that then, well, sorry. As far as the suspect, I hope they will add on one count of assault for each brother who got hurt and 2 counts of attempted murder or manslaughter for the other two brothers who had to go out the window. This guy should never be allowed to set free.

Nice job YPD on getting this guy!!! Nice job EMTBRAVO you did the right thing

Yes I want to add my condolences and congratulate the Yonkers detectives for some good work.

I live in Yonkers and the Fire Department seemed to be kind of busy this afternoon (in fact I can hear Engine 309 blasting through traffic as I write this). It was impossible not to immediately think of FF Joyce each and every time I heard the sirens and air horns.

It makes you stop and think. I'm sure most of the guys are still hurting (in fact I know they are) yet they're still out there doing the job.

RIP FF Joyce and God Bless all the firefighters everywhere!

One thought I really meant to include in my previous post-

I want to add a silent prayer that Lt. Joe Murray and FF William Kanych, the two men injured in this incident, both in Jacobi Medical Center reportedly in serious but stable condition, make a full recovery from their injuries.

I am so happy that they caught this P.O.S. Great job by the YPD, and all the wittness that came forward. People coming forward in Yonkers is a big step...

As for the charges, How's about First degree murder, or Aggravated murder, and Attempted murder for the other two injured firefighters. Rest in peace F.F. Patrick Joyce...

To all the MEMBERS of YFD on this forum.. I am praying for each and every one of you.

Great work by the YPD and the witnesses that came forward to ID this perp.

I second that. Thank you YPD.

Great work by YPD in catching this guy! I hope when this comes to trial, a good turnout can be mustered to convince the jury send this guy to jail for life- or I don't know if you have it or don't in NY- capitol murder and give him the death sentence. I hope the DA puts every possible charge on this guy. It will never heal wounds or fix anything though-the damage is already done, but this guy needs to be off the streets forever. Thoughts and prayers are with everyone, YFD, YPD, the Empress members who tried to save him, etc.......

And thanks to all who didn't jump to conclusions and make assumptions about the way we operate this forum-and respected our request at the time. We have reasons for the things we do, as you can see, although members may not understand it, there is a lot that goes on "behind the scenes".

Great work by YPD in catching this guy! I hope when this comes to trial, a good turnout can be mustered to convince the jury send this guy to jail for life- or I don't know if you have it or don't in NY- capitol murder and give him the death sentence. I hope the DA puts every possible charge on this guy.

And thanks to all who didn't jump to conclusions and make assumptions about the way we operate this forum. We have reasons for the things we do, as you can see, although members may not understand it, there is a lot that goes on "behind the scenes".

No one has been executed in New York since 1963 (Eddie Mays) and the Death Penalty was declared unconstitutional in 2004 (People v. LaValle). That being said, existing research says that it is more cost effective to sentence a prisoner to life without parole for 50 years than it is to hold a man for the death penalty, defend him within his rights and the law, pay for his trial(s) and appeals and then execute him after 25+ years.

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/costs-death-penalty

And a huge thank you to the YPD for catching this bastard SOB. I hope they charge him with everything and then throw the book at him once he is convicted.

Edited by bvfdjc316

Regardless of existing research and cost, this guy is going to have a life, communicate with his family, with the amenties in prison, while the Joyce's are without Patrick and his daughters without a father.

This kind of thing wouldn't be tolerated here in Texas:

http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/stat/deathrow.htm

I don't care what the cost is, this guy should get the worst possible punishment. I wish one of the gang members who have been involved in the multiple shootings in Yonkers found this guy first and performed some community service. THAT would have been the most cost effective solution.

Kudos to YPD for a job well done.

The death penalty would be to light a sentence. I'd rather see him incarcerated permanently so he can rot in a box they call a cell.

Kudos to the YPD indeed for their quick arrest and to the staff here for being sensitive to the situation.

If this guy did do it...ROAST his ***

Cogs

Great work by YPD RIP FF Joyce Get Well soon Lt. Joe Murray and FF William Kanych

No one has been executed in New York since 1963 (Eddie Mays) and the Death Penalty was declared unconstitutional in 2004 (People v. LaValle). That being said, existing research says that it is more cost effective to sentence a prisoner to life without parole for 50 years than it is to hold a man for the death penalty, defend him within his rights and the law, pay for his trial(s) and appeals and then execute him after 25+ years.

25 years seems a little excessive. There are lots of trees in Yonkers, and plenty of rope. Thanks to this POS I had to deal with the 'daddy are you going to die too?' today, so I'm feeling especially vindictive. But assuming the law has its way, I don't think it's a matter of 'cost effective', bro - in this case I'd say it's good value for money.

And a huge hoo-rah for YPD - well played! And the same to Seth and staff for the way they handled the situation.

This perp should never see daylight again but unfortunately we live in a very liberal society today so he will get his 3 meals, recreation, medical attention, tv, a warm bed, commissary..the list goes on.

Nice work YPD and the YFD Fire investigators! Kudos to the community members who came forward with the vital information that helped catch this guy, that alone takes courage.

Hopefully the D.A. hammers this piece of garbage! Hit him with as many charges as possible and if only the greater ones stick, so be it. If the "system" does the right thing, this SOB wont see daylight. Unfortunatley, as others have said, he will get his 3 meals a day, visitation, recreation, etc.

Again, RIP FF Joyce and best wishes for a full and speedy recover for Lt. Murray and FF Kanych.

There is a special place in Hell for this guy, let's hope he get's to visit it as soon as possible...This tragedy shows, that MOS, regardless of agency, are a family and you don't mess with the family...

The death penalty isn't the end all it seems to be. With the exception of Texas (who has seemed to put in an express lane.. ;) ) with all the appeals this POS if convicted would still have 20-25 years of life still in him. Too bad ethics would keep the person delivering the lethal injection from just giving him the paralitic and not the other meds...

Anything this guy gets will be too good for him. it was mentioned earlier he gets a bed to sleep in, food to eat, his family will be aloud to visit. get well soon Lt. Joe Murray and FF William Kanych. RIP FF Joyce

If the death penalty is out of the question then maybe the judge can commit this guy to life in that tent prison down south, the one in the middle of the desert. There he won't be able to visit with his family, if he tries to escape then it will be a death sentence. He can run around in his pink underwear and drink his coolade and watch discovery and sweat like he is in hell.

I hope he gets what he deserves. This guy should rot in hell for what he did, he does not deserve any sympathy I hope he spends the rest of his life in prison, this guy is immature coward