Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
post4031

Technical Rescue Teams

64 posts in this topic

Hello,

I do believe a few years ago OFPC was given the authority and funding to set up regional Technical Rescue Teams. I have not heard of any updates or progress on this and was wondering if anyone has additional info. Also, while we are on the topic of Technical Rescue, how does your department address this area? Do you have members specifically trained for this task or do you train all members in these areas? I am interested to see how other departments handle these incidents when they do occur.

Thanks!

Scott

They set up the Albany Team....thats all the $$$$

It is not possible to train everybody. Particularly if you want them to be competent. Consider how hard it is to train all member to be competent as firefighters, then double it.

INIT915 likes this

It is not possible to train everybody. Particularly if you want them to be competent. Consider how hard it is to train all member to be competent as firefighters, then double it.

I wish I could say I am suprised by that and a very good point.

Thanks!

The Westchester County Tech Rescue team went operational a few months ago. Their based out of the Westchester DES garage in Valhalla.

The Westchester County Tech Rescue team went operational a few months ago. Their based out of the Westchester DES garage in Valhalla.

What does "operational" mean??? Are they able to respond to technical incidents in a certain amount of time with a certain number of trained personnel? What are the training standards for this team? How often do they train? Are there any medical qualifications? How many members are on the team??

gss131 likes this

What does "operational" mean??? Are they able to respond to technical incidents in a certain amount of time with a certain number of trained personnel? What are the training standards for this team? How often do they train? Are there any medical qualifications? How many members are on the team??

Good luck getting a truthful answer to that.

I would say these are fair questions. Thank you Chief for asking them. I will however, ask one more... how many "activations" has this team had?

And so it begins yet again.

tjd1012 and INIT915 like this

And so it begins yet again.

Maybe it begins again, because the last time, the answers were never provided. These are valid questions that everyone who lives in the area the "team" covers, should know the answers too. Once accurate answers are given, the questions will stop.

"the Emperor has no clothes"

"No one wants the truth"

As long as everyone feels good about - BTW where can I order a hat & T-shirt for the WCTRT

Edited by billfitz
gss131 likes this

Good luck getting a truthful answer to that.

It is my belief that operational means that the team is able to respond to calls with an appropriate number of trained personnel in a safe and timely manner. They train twice a month. to my knowledge the requirements to be on the team is a minimum of Rescue tech basic with more classes encouraged. The team has had several activations since it going operational.

This might as well just be closed now, because the answers were not provided last time I highly doubt they willl be provided this time and its just going to set everyone off all over again.

INIT915 likes this

This might as well just be closed now, because the answers were not provided last time I highly doubt they willl be provided this time and its just going to set everyone off all over again.

I totally disagree. Close it? Why, to avoid the subject?

Maybe someone with the answers to these questions will come along, and put an end to the sniping that appeared when these very same questions were asked before.

Then again, maybe we won't get an answer here.

I totally disagree. Close it? Why, to avoid the subject?

Maybe someone with the answers to these questions will come along, and put an end to the sniping that appeared when these very same questions were asked before.

Then again, maybe we won't get an answer here.

No to avoid yet another topic that gets hijacked and goes off target.

To stay ON topic doesnt the state have a USAR team as well or is that the same as the albany team?

No to avoid yet another topic that gets hijacked and goes off target.

To stay ON topic doesnt the state have a USAR team as well or is that the same as the albany team?

The state team is run out of the Albany Area, thats why its refered to as the "Albany" team.

"the Emperor has no clothes" "No one wants the truth"

Col. Jessep: "You can’t handle the truth!" [pauses]

Col. Jessep: Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Whose gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinburg? I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago, and you curse the marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to.

It is my belief that operational means that the team is able to respond to calls with an appropriate number of trained personnel in a safe and timely manner. They train twice a month. to my knowledge the requirements to be on the team is a minimum of Rescue tech basic with more classes encouraged. The team has had several activations since it going operational.

Can you define "appropriate number of trained personnel"?

How many trained personnel do they have?

There are standards for this. What type level team are they?

Type I responds with 56 members

Type II with 26 (or 28 I forget)

If every trained member on the team responded (assuming none are at there real jobs) how many trained members do they have?

Again I quote Col. Jessep: "You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know."

Training

2 drills per month is not enough to be competent in building collapse, trench collapse, confined space, rope rescue and the plan to add water rescue

State Fire administrator has authority to create additional teams

NYC = NYTF-1

Capital District Team = NYTF-2

They have not designated any additional teams because they claim they do not have the resources ($$$$$)to validate any others at this time.

The Career Chief's have a template which utililzes over 9 dept's - The Yonkers team as well as the Squads from other career dep'ts.

Yonkers recently deployed over 50 personnel with a squad from Greenville (for a total of just under 60) to the Buffalo area for operation Vigiant Guard for a 4 day exercise. Outside of the 2 teams mentioned above there were no other NY resources there that were even close to our capabiltiy.

Why do I point this out - it is becasue of the politics on the County and state level of pandering to every little group out there that wants to be a State team. The state knows if they acknowledge any additional groups it would create a "me too" effect and they would not want to stir up that hornets nest state wide.

The career depts in Westchester have trained, have a "real" track record and the resources to be designated a state team - It has always been my contention that these other teams are a drain on the system and create unneccessary duplication and competion for the limited resources available ($$$$$)

All the nice tales of training twice a month and having been activated (????) all sound nice but we all know the the truth - but no one wants to hear it or say it

But it all boils down to they don't want to hurt any ones feelings by telling them they are not needed or especially never going to be capable of measuring up to what they say they can be.

"The Emperor has no clothes", Don't upset the apple cart - that is the underlying message

Maybe the new C/E Rob Astorino if he is really concerned about cutting ($$$$$$) will realize that the County Hazmat & Tech Rescue team would be nice to have but are really a waste of resources that are already provided through other dept's - they all want to talk about sharing resources but they certainly don't want to offend anybody. Especially all of of the volunteer (aka voters) team members and fire fighters.

So go ahead and bang my post with the negative rep points - the more attention that is brought to it maybe the truth will finally surface - and that is all I have to say about that!

Edited by billfitz
Chkpoint, gss131, KCRD and 4 others like this

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the county tech team consolidation? Instead of every town and village trying to form their own they created this team. From what I'm getting from this site, this is what everyone wants and now its no good?

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the county tech team consolidation? Instead of every town and village trying to form their own they created this team. From what I'm getting from this site, this is what everyone wants and now its no good?

It is unneccessary duplication of existing reosurces and a drain on resources ($$$$) for other more viable resources

OK, I'll correct you because I do believe you are wrong. The County "team" is not consolidation. It is an illusion. They can not do what they claim to be able to do, yet they spend valuable resources on equipment, take volunteers out of their communities most of which can not provide adequate basic fire protection, and get in the way politically of others in Westchester (as mentioned above by billfitz) who have established credible technical resources.

And that's a bad thing why? Change never comes easy and some of us out here are very patient and committed.

And still NO answers to the questions asked by Chief Flynn, Chief Fitz or Capt. Nechis (to name a few) about the county team. Yet we still have those "here we go again" posts. I may be crazy but wouldn't all this back and forth about it stop if someone (in charge) from this team just answer the questions? If anything, the only "here we go again" posts should be about questions NOT being answered, NOT the fact that questions are being asked about the county team. Yes? I see this discussion being closed before those questions are answered.

And still NO answers to the questions asked by Chief Flynn, Chief Fitz or Capt. Nechis (to name a few) about the county team. Yet we still have those "here we go again" posts. I may be crazy but wouldn't all this back and forth about it stop if someone (in charge) from this team just answer the questions? If anything, the only "here we go again" posts should be about questions NOT being answered, NOT the fact that questions are being asked about the county team. Yes? I see this discussion being closed before those questions are answered.

Perhaps asking questions on emtbravo.com is not where your going to receive answers. Perhaps DEMANDING answers is not the right way to ask. Perhaps asking questions then ripping the team apart verbally is a reason they haven't received answers

P.s

This is my opinion

I have zero affiliation with this team.

....I see this discussion being closed before those questions are answered.

Again, that is not going to happen, unless: if everyone fails to keep it a civil, constructive conversation.

For the record: the ONLY reason posts and threads only get removed is for cause, that is, for failing to follow what essentially boils down to treating each other with fairness and respect.

I believe in a past thread someone had tried to contact WCDES about the TRT with zero response. Since when is asking questions repeatedly DEMANDING?(your words) So you are trying to tell me that this forum is not the place to ask these questions about the team but yet there seems to be many guys on here that talk the talk about what this team can do. You know what Ladder55, you are right, this is not the place to ask about the county TRT. Maybe if we don't talk about it or ask any questions it will go away. Thanks for YOUR opinion on this.

ny10570 likes this

No truer words spoken Bnechis! Now add to the mix dumbing down the Job requirements and you have a real battle on your hands! That's why years ago FDNY was very selective in who they chose for their Special Ops Division. Don't know if they still follow this past practice.

I believe in a past thread someone had tried to contact WCDES about the TRT with zero response. Since when is asking questions repeatedly DEMANDING?(your words) So you are trying to tell me that this forum is not the place to ask these questions about the team but yet there seems to be many guys on here that talk the talk about what this team can do. You know what Ladder55, you are right, thi

s is not the place to ask about the county TRT. Maybe if we don't talk about it or ask any questions it will go away. Thanks for YOUR opinion on this.

Simmer down big Guy. I'm not trying to step on your toes or anyone else's. If someone contacted wcdes then great, but if nobody on emtbravo has the correct answers then I would expect no answers.

Simmer down big Guy. I'm not trying to step on your toes or anyone else's. If someone contacted wcdes then great, but if nobody on emtbravo has the correct answers then I would expect no answers.

Yeah Yeah Yeah. You're not stepping on my toes. If you have read the other threads on this county team you would have a better understanding. There seems to be 3 constants on this team. 1. apparatus 2. "2" training days a month and 3. alot of dedicated guys that stick up for it (not to say thats a bad thing but yet no one can give strong fact based answers to those Q's). :blink:

QTIP L-55

Edited by Firediver

No need for qtip buddy. Not taking anything you say or anything on this topic personal