Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
f19

Professionally staffed.......

36 posts in this topic

Saw Pearl Rivers Hook and Ladder TL-12 today. On the side of the truck it displays a pretty cool saying----

"Professionally staffed by volunteers".... I dont know anything about that fire department but i hope they live up to that slogan..

This can be very true. There is a HUGE differance between Paid Staff and Professional Staffing.

I know several Professional Fire Fighters both Paid and Volunteer and unfortunitly for the entire Fire Fighting career I know some Paid unprofessional Fire Fighters as well.

calhobs and jayhalsey like this

Professionalism has far more to do with attitude than it does with paychecks.

JM15 and 64FFMJK like this

I couldn't agree with you more...

And far more to do than slogans. Actions speak louder than words.

Raz, efdcapt115 and M' Ave like this

Words are pretty loud too... as seen on here many times...QTIP

It's on the brand new 12-Tower as well, soon to be delivered, a 2009 Pierce Velocity 100' rear mount tower ladder quint.

12TowerD.jpg

Photo courtesy Pearl River FD

i hate slogans like that..... people don't care if your dept is volley or not, they want protection 24/7. that's it, and to put that on the truck is stupid, because there will be a time when that truck cant roll due to lack of manpower.... its a volley dept, it will happen.

M' Ave likes this

there will be a time when that truck cant roll due to lack of manpower.... its a volley dept, it will happen.

that might not be the case. I know several 100% Volly Dept's that have sleep in Rostering and 24 / 7 rosters in place, Something that every Volly Dept. sould do in my opinion.

That's because most of the volunteers in Pearl River are paid guys in the city

I just want to make something clear. I did not post this to have it turn into the usual debate that seems to be the outcome of many posts on here..

My def. Of professionally staffed is-

To perform your duties to the highest of standards, and to always act accordingly, and to be looked up to... In a "professional" manor..

And if this is the way the dept. Runs whether it be paid or vol. Hats off to you.

As a Vol. FF (who always acts in a professional manor) haha. I thought that was very nice to see on a truck. -- just MY opinion..

waful likes this

pro·fes·sion·al   /prəˈfɛʃənl/ Show Spelled[pruh-fesh-uh-nl] Show IPA

–adjective

1.following an occupation as a means of livelihood or for gain: a professional builder

noun

11.a person who earns a living in a sport or other occupation frequently engaged in by amateurs: a golf professional.

What a ridiculous motto. Makes no sense according to the definition. I think Ive seen this also on Yorktown's chief car once.

This can be very true. There is a HUGE differance between Paid Staff and Professional Staffing.

I know several Professional Fire Fighters both Paid and Volunteer and unfortunitly for the entire Fire Fighting career I know some Paid unprofessional Fire Fighters as well.

I agree 66FFMJK. However this is not at all limited to the fire service ... I have encountered 'unprofessional' police officers, sanitation workers, EMT's, postal carriers, etc.. In other words there are some bad apples in every walk of life. Overall, throughout my fire service career I encountered very few unprofessional firefighters and those who showed such attributes were shunned by their peers and such behaviour was not tolerated by the department.

BFD1054 likes this

–adjective- following an occupation as a means of livelihood or for gain: a professional builder

-noun- a person who earns a living in a sport or other occupation frequently engaged in by amateurs: a golf professional.

What a ridiculous motto. Makes no sense according to the definition. I think Ive seen this also on Yorktown's chief car once.

Hey now, Webster's Dictionary has a well known union bias, and is an anti-volunteer rag.

"But professional doesn't mean that you're paid, like you guys say! It means that you're held to a higher standard." Oh right, let me apologize then, as every single firefighter in Pearl River has a 229.

that might not be the case. I know several 100% Volly Dept's that have sleep in Rostering and 24 / 7 rosters in place, Something that every Volly Dept. sould do in my opinion.

Here, here... couldn't agree more

i hate slogans like that..... people don't care if your dept is volley or not, they want protection 24/7. that's it, and to put that on the truck is stupid, because there will be a time when that truck cant roll due to lack of manpower.... its a volley dept, it will happen.

Nothing wrong with having a little pride whether your career or volunteer.

citystation1848 likes this

Here, here... couldn't agree more

Likewise I concur; I think it would go a long way to solve some staffing issues and would help to revolutionize the volunteer fire service.

Hey now, Webster's Dictionary has a well known union bias, and is an anti-volunteer rag.

The same can be said, or at least construed, about certain other entities that are a tad bit closer to home.

It might not be the best motto out there, or the flashiest, but it might just serve some kind of purpose in perhaps mobilizing ordinary townsfolk into joining the department that maybe they didn't know was volunteer.

–adjective

1.following an occupation as a means of livelihood or for gain: a professional builder

noun

11.a person who earns a living in a sport or other occupation frequently engaged in by amateurs: a golf professional.

As per Merriam-Webster:

Main Entry: 1pro·fes·sion·al Pronunciation: \prə-ˈfesh-nəl, -ˈfe-shə-nəl\Function: adjective Date: 16061 a : of, relating to, or characteristic of a profession b : engaged in one of the learned professions c (1) : characterized by or conforming to the technical or ethical standards of a profession (2) : exhibiting a courteous, conscientious, and generally businesslike manner in the workplace<BR itxtvisited="1">2 a : participating for gain or livelihood in an activity or field of endeavor often engaged in by amateurs <a professional golfer> b : having a particular profession as a permanent career <a professional soldier> c : engaged in by persons receiving financial return <professional football><BR itxtvisited="1">3 : following a line of conduct as though it were a profession <a professional patriot>

and before the question is raised.... Profession:

1 : the act of taking the vows of a religious community<BR itxtvisited="1">2 : an act of openly declaring or publicly claiming a belief, faith, or opinion : protestation<BR itxtvisited="1">3 : an avowed religious faith<BR itxtvisited="1">4 a : a calling requiring specialized knowledge and often long and intensive academic preparation b : a principal calling, vocation, or employment c : the whole body of persons engaged in a calling

Being paid is not necessarily part of the primary definition and really..... you did not have to go there.

post4031 and Ex-2114 like this

As per Merriam-Webster:

Main Entry: 1pro·fes·sion·al Pronunciation: \prə-ˈfesh-nəl, -ˈfe-shə-nəl\Function: adjective Date: 16061 a : of, relating to, or characteristic of a profession b : engaged in one of the learned professions c (1) : characterized by or conforming to the technical or ethical standards of a profession (2) : exhibiting a courteous, conscientious, and generally businesslike manner in the workplace<BR itxtvisited="1">2 a : participating for gain or livelihood in an activity or field of endeavor often engaged in by amateurs <a professional golfer> b : having a particular profession as a permanent career <a professional soldier> c : engaged in by persons receiving financial return <professional football><BR itxtvisited="1">3 : following a line of conduct as though it were a profession <a professional patriot>

and before the question is raised.... Profession:

1 : the act of taking the vows of a religious community<BR itxtvisited="1">2 : an act of openly declaring or publicly claiming a belief, faith, or opinion : protestation<BR itxtvisited="1">3 : an avowed religious faith<BR itxtvisited="1">4 a : a calling requiring specialized knowledge and often long and intensive academic preparation b : a principal calling, vocation, or employment c : the whole body of persons engaged in a calling

Being paid is not necessarily part of the primary definition and really..... you did not have to go there.

He's acting professional

post4031 likes this

Thanks for singling out Yorktown and and putting us and ridiculous in the same context. But you might want to check your facts, the old chief's cars state "Proudly we serve."

Have a great day

So a couple of guys have masterfully demonstrated their abilities to find words in a dictionary, and also to skillfully copy them into a meaningless thread for others to argue about. Get real guys, there are more important issues than what a department puts on the side of their rig, like what they put IN it, and who they put ON it.

–adjective

noun

Heheheh I love this site, the simplest thread can take an ugly turn. Poor guy just wanted to post about a rig with a different saying he thought was unique is all...and you get a post like this. Oh well. We get it your anti Volunteer, dont try so hard....by the way any logo or saying on your carrer rig...like "No Fear" or some other ridiculos saying. Anyway be safe all.

Edited by spin_the_wheel
chris likes this

Who cares what mottos rigs have on them. If the people riding that apparatus are proud of what it says on it, then so be it. Why get upset? I can understand if it is derogatory or otherwise inappropriate, but this isn't.

I hear people on the radio all day making announcements and dispatching calls - do I get offended? Nope. I could care less. To be a professional requires experience, education and a reassuring presence, not a paycheck.

PS - you can slap whatever VOLUNTEER logo you want on your rigs, most people don't read them anyway. Some have no idea what they're getting when they call 911. A prime example was about a year ago, we responded to A VILLAGE BOARD MEMBER'S HOUSE and she asked, "Are all these trucks ours?" Why yes, moron, they are, and two more are sitting in quarters because they weren't dispatched on this call. :o

chris likes this

the old chief's cars state "Proudly we serve."

I always prefered: "To Serve Man" ............................... "It's a Cookbook" :P

And far more to do than slogans. Actions speak louder than words.

And to add to your quote Barry, which I agree with wholeheartedly;

".......Your actions better back up your words!"

:)

I always prefered: "To Serve Man" ............................... "It's a Cookbook" :P

what's on the menu? I'm starving!

what's on the menu? I'm starving!

corn beef & cabbage please!tongue.gif

What a ridiculous motto. Makes no sense according to the definition. I think Ive seen this also on a "Volly" chief car once.

How did you see this ? Were you at a parade watching the big firetrucks.

I'd hope for "Professionally staffed by firefighters" but that's just me...