Spy Shots - Yonkers PD ESU

18 posts in this topic

DSC_7462.jpg

Yonkers, NY

ESU

2010 Spartan Gladiator/Hackney

To be delivered soon...

is this replacing one of the smaller units or just an aditional

nice looking truck it as the same cab as new rochelle rescue 4.

This Spartan/Hackney YPD ESU Rig will probably look similiar to the New YFD Smeal/Spartan Squad 11 that is also due for delivery very very soon.

I passed it on the NJTP last week-looked pretty god dang sharp!

Awesome shot Eli, thanks for sharing?

Anyone know what the radio designation for the truck will be, or where it will be housed?

Awesome shot Eli, thanks for sharing?

Anyone know what the radio designation for the truck will be, or where it will be housed?

I'm assuming it will be housed in ESU Headquarters on Yonkers Ave????

I'm assuming it will be housed in ESU Headquarters on Yonkers Ave????

do you know were on yonkers Ave the esu headquarters is

I assume it will carry forcible entry, extrication, rescue, hazmat and police equipment. All of the seats (except the driver's seat) were pack seats.

I don't believe that this New YPD ESU rig will be running on regular street duty, as their current ESU Rigs do. I would believe that YPD would dispatch this rig out (using the manpower from one of their regular YPD/ESU Units) in case of a Police Emergency requiring the equipment stored on this rig, such as Riot Gear, SWAT Equipment, etc, etc that is needed in a "Police Emergency" (Does not make any sense to have this large of a rig running 24/7 on the streets of Yonkers on ESU patrol). As far as Auto Accidents and things of that nature, my understanding is that YFD is normally dispatched out on these types of runs with a 1 and 1 (Engine Company and Truck Company) along with YFD Rescue 1 and a Battalion for such assignments. Maybe on larger, more involved incidents, they would request this YPD ESU Truck.

The trucks get dispatched to all medical jobs, 10-13's (accidents with injuries/extracations) animal jobs, burglary in progress jobs (building searches) and search warrants that are executed by officers on the spot, and not by the warrant squad.

ESU just got a building dedicated to them and K9, so they keep all the trucks there. I doubt it will be on normal patrol, but available for use if needed

I heard the truck will be staffed by one sergeant and 2 senior esu cops and will be ready to go on anything they decide to roll on 24/7. I heard its designation will be Truck city. I also heard it has a ton of rescue equipment and not much tactical stuff at all. Concrete breakers, boat,stanley system, torches, search camera's, air shore, rescue jacks, etc and some of the officers just completed training with NYC ESU FEMA task force as well as 2 K-9's. I also heard they are getting divers 2 new boats and another big rescue truck for that stuff. Unconfirmed is that some are in bomb technician school in Alabama with WCPD bomb squad.

Edited by AMISHFF

Instead of all the assumption and speculation from people who will have nothing to do with this piece of apparatus, how about we just wait until a member of Yonkers PD comes on here and give us a clue as to how and when it will be employed? Ya'll sound like a bunch of kids at Christmas time, trying to guess just what is underneath the tree.

Either way, with the impending budget crisis in Yonkers, I'm sure they need it and I wish them luck with it.

antiquefirelt likes this

I also heard it has a ton of rescue equipment and not much tactical stuff at all.

Oh, it will have a ton of tactical equipment as that's it's primary purpose.

I also heard it has a ton of rescue equipment and not much tactical stuff at all. Concrete breakers, boat,stanley system, torches, search camera's, air shore, rescue jacks, etc...

Is it me or does this sound like what YFD Rescue 1 carries? Duplication od service?

I also heard it has a ton of rescue equipment and not much tactical stuff at all. Concrete breakers, boat,stanley system, torches, search camera's, air shore, rescue jacks, etc...

Is it me or does this sound like what YFD Rescue 1 carries? Duplication od service?

I would suspect it will be used in the same fashion that NYPD ESU uses their big trucks. WSounds like the staffing is the same, a sargeant and a senior officer.

In a large metropolitan area with the potential for dozens of calls for service to come in simultaneously, it's not really a duplication so much as it is overlapping key areas.

The police don't put out fires, and the jakes don't enforce the law. HOWEVER when it comes to calls for EMS/Rescue and other emergency services, each agency having the ability to perform some shared services allows for more thorough coverage.... There are a few ESU's that perform vehicle/technical rescue alongside FD's locally... FDNY, Yonkers, Mount Vernon, Jersey City, Greenburgh, and others if my memory serves me correct.

This coverage model isn't necessary (IMHO) outside of city settings or densely populated areas.