Welcome to EMTBravo.com

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Truck4

Bayonne, NJ Firehouse For Sale

28 posts in this topic

Is he willing to relocate it? We could use one.

Contact Peekskill FD, they know a guy who moves firehouses!

sfrd18, JetPhoto and FF398 like this

I've seen homes built from former firehouses and they usually come out great. Good bones and unique space to work with.

At least in this case, this building is being replaced and a company didn't close.

Westfield12 likes this

Very cool project. I wonder how much the final cost will be to have it restored. Maybe someone will post some pictures of the finished project.

Westfield12 likes this

Is he willing to relocate it? We could use one.

Your old firehouse up on North Ave @the border; the guy that owns that also ran "Firehouse Films" on Centre Ave, which is now a vegetable market (still?) across from the work-clothing store (still?). Firehouse Films closed when they demolished the tenements on Huguenot St. @ Centre Ave. The vibration from the truck traffic on Huguenot started interfering with "Quiet on the set."

I've seen the refurb of the old firehouse he lives in. Sweet home Alabama!

x129K and sfrd18 like this

Contact Peekskill FD, they know a guy who moves firehouses!

I dont think he comes with a recommendation

I dont think he comes with a recommendation

:lol:

Your old firehouse up on North Ave @the border; the guy that owns that also ran "Firehouse Films" on Centre Ave, which is now a vegetable market (still?) across from the work-clothing store (still?). Firehouse Films closed when they demolished the tenements on Huguenot St. @ Centre Ave. The vibration from the truck traffic on Huguenot started interfering with "Quiet on the set."

I've seen the refurb of the old firehouse he lives in. Sweet home Alabama!

You seem to know a lot about the doings of the film industry. What exactly did you do before EFD hired you????? Is Glover your real name or is it a take off of your Adult Film name "George Gloves Her" ?????blink.gif

Pics are definitely needed!! Good luck it sounds like you have a project on your hands there and its great that you are keeping the history of the building alive

yes, I have looked at the mcintyre brass works, they sell the whole system, its not cheap for sure, but I just want to poles and dont have 10-15 grand for them hahah. is there a way to insert images in my post? ill put up some shots for you guys

yes, I have looked at the mcintyre brass works, they sell the whole system, its not cheap for sure, but I just want to poles and dont have 10-15 grand for them hahah. is there a way to insert images in my post? ill put up some shots for you guys

To insert pictures, next to "Post" for the reply message is "More Reply Options", click this. When the next screen opens at the bottom you will see "Attach Files". Click "Browse" to find where you have saved the file of the picture. Once you have attached all of the pictures you want click on "Attach This File" below where you have had your files.

Prior to posting please read the rules regarding posting pictures at http://www.emtbravo.net/index.php/forum/114-photo-posting-guide/. Long story short, your pictures cannot exceed the 800 x 600 sizing for this site.

Please post your pictures for all to view, thanks.

x4093k likes this

I hear Snooki & JWoww are looking for another firehouse to live in...

BFD1054 and x4093k like this

a few others. the double toilets are great if you like to s*** with a friend haha

post-23511-0-88843900-1372968253.jpg

post-23511-0-60472100-1372968282.jpg

post-23511-0-69308200-1372968301.jpg

post-23511-0-05818800-1372968317.jpg

x4093k, grumpyff and BFD1054 like this

Great shots!

Is it just me, or is that one long garage bay, for an Engine Co. I mean? One would think a Ladder would have been quartered there at one time.

I believe BFD Engine Co. 5 is now Squad Co. 5(formerly Squad Co. 7). I believe it's now located at a temporary firehouse near Bayonne Harbor.

Is it just me, or is that one long garage bay, for an Engine Co. I mean? One would think a Ladder would have been quartered there at one time.

When it was built an Engine company would have included a horse drawn steamer and a horse drawn hose wagon. Plus a space behind them for 4 to 6 horse stalls.

When it was built an Engine company would have included a horse drawn steamer and a horse drawn hose wagon. Plus a space behind them for 4 to 6 horse stalls.

Makes sense. I didn't take into account the hose wagon plus the steamer and horse stalls.

the building itself is 25x 100 ft, it occupies the entire lot, I have no yard. From what I understand and can see of the structure, originally when it was built, it was about 55 or 60 ft deep, and I heard that the stables were in the rear behind the building. Sometimes in the late 20s or early 30s, they put an addition onto the rear of the building and extended it all the way back the full 100 ft to the property line. When they did that, they sistered two 12 inch steel header beanms across the ceiling of the garage to support the span, and left the original brick wall upstairs. The exposed brick wall you see in the one shot looking into the kitchen used to be an exterior wall, which had three rear facing windows which I discovered when I demoed the crumbling plaster on that wall. You can see the one recess of the window on the left above the stainless sink which I had painstakingly removed all of the mortar and bricks from, and the doorway leading into the kitchen was another window that they busted open to make a passageway, and theres another recess for a window behind the bathroom.

When they put the addition on, they also dug a basement as well. The chimney for the boiler also runs on that once exterior wall but now is inside the building.

What I can figure out is that when they did the addition, along with the basement, they poured the concrete floor and instead of using rebar, actually laid out a grid of 12 inch steel i beams and poured the forms around them encasing it in the cement, you can see them from underneath when you are standing in the basement, looks like coffered ceiling, but steel and concrete with lolly columns for support. Theres also an old iron coal shoot passage and manhole cover in the floor..But what they did at the rearmost part of the addition on the ground floor at the back of the truck bay for the last 15 ft of ground level, was end the concrete and go with an oak plank floor, with a massive timber in the basement that runs the spine of it, which is tied in with the lolly columns and steel beams in the concrete floor.

I am not sure why they did the last back portion of the truck bays with wood floor. One would think it was for the horses or stables indoors, but were they still running horse drawn apparatus back as late as the 1930s? Nobody seems to know why the floor went to wood back there. Its super solid, but they clearly and deliberately stopped the concrete and finsihed the last part with timbers instead. I cant seem to dig up much regarding it.

And yes, engine co 5 is currently situated in literally a construction trailer and a vinyl tent down on rt 440 at teh entrance of the MOT. They have began to finally start constructing the new firehouse for them on that land.

Edited by regoosty

Document everything!