Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EMTbravo

EMTBravo To Shut Down Permanently This Saturday

66 posts in this topic

EMTBravo Shutdown

Members,

It breaks my heart to have to do this, but EMTBravo will permanently shut down this Saturday, October 23rd 2010 after seven years online. This includes ALL EMTBravo sites.

Due to personal financial and health issues, I can no longer afford to run the site. Donations are way down, ad revenue and the amount of advertisers are way down due to the economy, and I'm broke. I'm unemployed due to health reasons and have a new baby. I don't have the disposable income. I'm tired of worrying month to month about the site finances and just getting by. I don't want the same small group donors month after month to contribute, when there are so many people who visit and enjoy the site who don't contribute. I'm tired and embarresed to ask for more donations.I regret that I couldn't save up a emergency fund. We would need a few hundered dollars to last us through November and December, and I don't have the time or energy to fundraise. And I don't want to sell or transfer the site to another person at this point.

I also don't want to cut anything to stay online. We have an excellent dedicated server at a great price that we need to keep the site as it is. I don't want to charge to use the site, either as I don't think anyone would pay.

Also, even though the staff handles most of the moderation, I'm also sick of people complaining about EMTBravo. I'm held personally accountable for everything no matter what, truth or lies. Rarely do I hear anything positive or encouraging. I thought that I was providing a place where people could go to get information, discuss topics, and network. I'm tired of people demonizing the site, the staff, and myself. I'm tired of the drama and the accusations and everything else people have accused this site of, which has also contributed to the financial toll.

I'm also saddened hardly anyone posts photos or department news anymore.

So, as of this Saturday, there will be no more EMTBravo. I thank everyone for their support over the years, we truly had a great forum and accomplished many great things, and I am truly heartbroken that it has come to this. I wish I had enough funds to keep this site going while I took a break for a while.

Seth Granville

Founder, EMTBravo

EMAIL: seth@emtbravo.com

P.S. If you EMAIL me, I will read it. However, due to lack of time or energy, I may not reply.

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE/PERSONAL CONVERSATION/PM me using this forum's messenger system. It is much harder for me to read and reply.

Thank you for all your hard work and dedication to the Fire and EMS of New England over the last 7 Years.....

It's weird, suddenly it feels like a Wake. Seth, I don't know what to say man. We've chatted a lot in private, I know where you stand, vice versa, we've all tried really hard to make this thing work. Seven years is a great run. Thank you for the efforts you have made, and I have to say, I understand.

i feel for you man and it is a great run for the website you should be happy you made the greats site for police and fire.

I will email you the same, but I wanted to thank you for your time and energy you've put into this site. I'm a newbie here for sure but have gotten a lot out of the site in the 6 months or so I've been a member. It provides a great distraction at work and has increased my knowledge about emergency services as a whole.

I am a long-time (8 year) moderator and memeber on a car website, and know well the financial and time requirements of running a popular site. Combine that with the heated politics of emergency services and I can see why it's too much. Where to go now?

Great site and I'm sorry to see it go. You've done a great job over the years and should be proud of your accomplishment. I hope to see a "comeback" in the future.

Seth I just want to thank you and all your great staff for supporting EMTBravo for these past seven years. I as many others have learned so much and got so much out of this site. I am truly sadened to see the end of such a great group of emergency service personnel and enthusiasts. This site will be greatly missed. We just lost a truly great tool in our local emergency service world. Sorry you went through the troubles you had. Thanks for everything! -E106MKFD

I just want to make a clarification. I don't want to do this to the members. I wish I had the several hundred dollars needed to keep this site afloat through November and December so I could figure things out and step back a little. I doubt I can raise those funds or get new advertisers, I doubt new people will step up, and I don't want to ask anymore. The stress of worrying about funding this site month after month has taken it's toll, and was the major blow. Considering I'm unemployed due to health reasons and have a new baby, I don't have the disposable income like I used to to cover the deficits and the debt.

I'm emotionally and mentally beat up, partially because of this site, partially because of personal issues. For the record, this is NOT because of the whole Dutchess saga, and I've been thinking about and fearing this for a while.

This has me really upset. I DON'T want to do this,I feared this, I'm going to miss the site as I enjoyed visiting it like a member too, but I'm broke and burnt out and this is my only option I feel right now.

Seth,

Can't imagine the work that goes into running the site. Been a long time viewer, and have always enjoyed the content. The news, the photos, and the forum are always great. I would like to see you take a quick survey regarding a subscription fee. There are many good sites out there, and many charge a small fee. I would be more than willing to pay an annual subscription fee of $10 or $20, and I'm sure many would do the same.

It's a shame that a few jackasses have ruined the site and turned so many people off. You could always remove certain sections of the forum, or remove those posting offensive posts permanently from the forum/website. I have spent the last 23 years of my life in both the volunteer & career fire service. I've worked & volunteered in some of the smallest & largest fire departments in the country in a number of different states. I have found over the years that most of the people writing stupid posts, complaining about paid guys vs. vollies, pointing out idiotic "safety" concerns, etc. have no life and have no experience with which to back up their claims. I have been involved in teaching on the local, state, and national level since 1994. There are many great instructors from both paid & volunteer departments, who have a lot of training & experience to share with those willing to learn. I have met guys from all of the country that travel great distances, often on their own dime (just like I've done all these years) to learn new things from the best instructors & the best classes. It's people like that for which I thought this site was dedicated.

Brother, reconsider shutting down the site. Charge a small subscription fee. Dedicate the site to photos, training, learning, and sharing the brotherhood that makes the fire service great. Thanks.

:(

Damn i love this site! It has offerd so much information. Im pretty bumed about this, how much is needed to run it through nov and december?? I will be willing to donate (i have never before due to lack of funds myself) but in a situation like this id be down to donate.

I would like to thank the members for their really kind, supportive, and encouraging emails about this site. I've gotten over 50 since making this announcement.

I just want members to know that I've always felt obligated in a good way to keep going, no matter what, with this site. I know how much it means to so many people, and how people depend on it. I know that staff could take it over for a while. Short of a significant flood of donations and advertisers to meet the goal displayed on the main index sidebar, my hands are tied.

Sad to see this site go, it was such a wealth of information. I always enjoyed looking at the appratus updates and seeing what departments purchased. Like some of the other posters I would also be willing to make a donation in a situation like this.

I'm definitely a newbie to this site, just joining in March, as well as a newbie firefighter, only being in the FD for a little under 7 months. I've learned a great amount just from reading all the posts on here, and I hope you can find a way to keep this site up and running. I mainly joined here to read all the IA's, but now I'm a daily viewer, and I'll definitely miss coming here everyday!

:(

Damn i love this site! It has offerd so much information. Im pretty bumed about this, how much is needed to run it through nov and december?? I will be willing to donate (i have never before due to lack of funds myself) but in a situation like this id be down to donate.

With all due respect to the last couple of posts, how many times have I (just as a regular poster) asked you guys to step up and help out just a little bit? There was the "rep point" thing, who gets to 100. big deal I did. What did I say? Shout out to some of the great posters, and an individual plea to help the guy keep the site up.

Now that he's drag a** beat up, beat down, at the bottom with the baloney, a hate group (which is a joke really), has a new family to think of.....now you wanna step up with a donation. It had to come to this? It's freaking degrading for a man that has done so much to create one of the best emergency services forums around. I don't blame him for saying he's sick and tired of having to come here time and again and ask for a little help.

But NOW.............. (not you Eric)

Edited by efdcapt115

Thanks for what you have done and I wish you all the best in the future.

Seth, thank you for all of your hard work over the past 7 years. You really created an amazing site and tool for Fire/EMS/Police. I have really learned a lot from the valuable sources on this website and from the veterans who so kindly offered their knowledge and experience. The site had a great run over the past 7 years and turned into quite the powerhouse among forums. I hope that people still communicate ideas and information to other FD/EMS/Police personnel because it truly is a great way to learn. Be good.

Edited by PFDRes47cue

The outpouring of member support via this thread and email has made me reconsider.

However, I am in debt from last months bills, and still need to pay for November, December, and yearly license fees. I don't have that money, and short of a flood of donations, and new advertisers, my hands are tied.

The rest of the stuff stressing me out, I don't even have time to reconsider, figure out, or take a breather while the staff handles things. This site needs to be paid for and if I don't have the funding, it's the end of the road.

To Seth and the EMTBravo Team:

Thank you for all that you have done over the last 7yrs. I have learned so much from this site over the yrs not only about other depts but how to be a better line officer and FF. This site has started so many conversations at my fire house as I am sure it has others. I wish I could donate to this site but like most people I do not have the money to do so. Seth I wish you the best of luck with your new baby, your health and your job search. I hope that there is a EMTBravo comeback site. God Bless you and your family Seth.

Edited by notch138

Seth HAS STATED... he needs $700... Seth HAS STATED he is broke... Please donate

Where are you coming up with that figure? It is incorrect.

Seth how much money is it exactly that we need to keep the site running at least temporarily? Is it $700?

Lets have a fund raiser right now. Say how much money you need and choose a date. If you get enough you keep going; if not then you shut it down. You may find that you get more than you need.

Myself and many other members have contributed in the past and I'm sure we'll step up again. You've mentioned the many email and thread responses you received so obviously people care. It's easy to take the work you do and this site for granted until it's not there.

Lets try at least; it couldn't hurt to try!

Seth how much money is it exactly that we need to keep the site running at least temporarily? Is it $700?

Lets have a fund raiser right now. Say how much money you need and choose a date. If you get enough you keep going; if not then you shut it down. You may find that you get more than you need.

Myself and many other members have contributed in the past and I'm sure we'll step up again. You've mentioned the many email and thread responses you received so obviously people care. It's easy to take the work you do and this site for granted until it's not there.

Lets try at least; it couldn't hurt to try!

Billy,

Thanks for your support.

Our donation portal can be found here:

http://www.emtbravo.net/index.php?app=donate

Or on the sidebar of the main index page. That tracks the donations we've recieved, our goal, and how far we are from reaching that goal.

Donations are needed as soon as possible. If not enough donations are recieved, all donations will be refunded.

With all due respect to the last couple of posts, how many times have I (just as a regular poster) asked you guys to step up and help out just a little bit? There was the "rep point" thing, who gets to 100. big deal I did. What did I say? Shout out to some of the great posters, and an individual plea to help the guy keep the site up.

Now that he's drag a** beat up, beat down, at the bottom with the baloney, a hate group (which is a joke really), has a new family to think of.....now you wanna step up with a donation. It had to come to this? It's freaking degrading for a man that has done so much to create one of the best emergency services forums around. I don't blame him for saying he's sick and tired of having to come here time and again and ask for a little help.

But NOW.............. (not you Eric)

I have seen the posts, i really wanted to donate but due to doctor co pays, car payments, car inusrance and reg cell bills ect,I havnt been able too plus being 22 and not making big time money makes it even more difficult. Im sorry for letting the site members and seth down .

I have seen the posts, i really wanted to donate but due to doctor co pays, car payments, car inusrance and reg cell bills ect,I havnt been able too plus being 22 and not making big time money makes it even more difficult. Im sorry for letting the site members and seth down .

No need to apoogize, I completly understand that a lot of members aren't in the financial position to donate, and that's OK. You didn't let me or anyone else down.

Seth

Im in for the yearly membership fee i can donate at the end of the week because of being paid this friday. i really do not want to see this site go because this is how i keep up with what is going back home. please let us know what the exact figure is so we can help.

Tom Tisano JR

Lake Norman Fire and Rescue

Mooresville NC

EX Darien Fire Dept

Darien CT

firedude likes this

Seth,

I appreciate your hard work and dedication over the last 7 years. It's definitely been fun and I have enjoyed engaging in conversations with others on hot topics, or sometimes just about a new piece of apparatus. Seth, best of luck with your new baby, I wish it great health and prosperity. I also hope your health and overall situation improves.

~CityStation

As many of the others have said, I, too, will miss EMTBravo if it does shut down. While I'm only a "buff" - a four letter word in more ways than one, to some - I enjoy reading about the events, new deliveries and such. It will be missed.

Believe me, if I had the wherewithal to do so, the $$ goal would have already been met! Unfortunately, that's not the case, as I've been bit by the bug of the current times just as many others have.

Seth, we've been "buddies" since long before I joined this site. Whether it stays or goes, I wish you the best. You know how and where to find me.

Everyone needs to shut up and just donate something. Everyday for the last 5 years of my life I have come on this site and viewed the topics and photos and posted in some of the topics. Just now I donated, I've never donated to this site before. Yeah i've looked at this everyday and took for granted some of the stuff on the site. But, everyone can afford $5 $10 Something to a site that has affected everyone.

If your a member of EMTBravo you view this site at least once if not MORE during the day, give back to a site that has done so much for you. Do it.

Thank you Seth, you defiantly changed my life and EMTBravo influenced me to become an EMT and FF today.

Thank you.

PEMO3 likes this

I would be happy to pay a nominal fee to keep the site open.

I am not active anymore around here however it would be a real shame to see such a wealth of knowledge go down. I know when anything big happens around the metro area I come here first to see if anyone from the region has good insight. I hope everything can be worked out in the long run yet I know how difficult times are right now.

donation sent, ok people, let's keep the site running.