Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
billy98988

Westchester County NY Firefighter (closing 12/20/10)

91 posts in this topic

Got my results as well. I thought I did better but I am very pleased with my position on this list. Not bad for my first one in Westchester.

Thats great! Just hope for no budget cuts and we should be good! lol

Yeah, would have liked to do better. Life goes on. I just hope the dept that I have residency in hires off the local list.

Just got my results.. a 90 granted me a list number of 80..... Good luck to everyone

How many total people took the test? I am curious because I think the amount that passed MIGHT be surprising.

How many total people took the test? I am curious because I think the amount that passed MIGHT be surprising.

Based on my score of an 85 and my list number in the 100's there is no way even half of the people there passed....Felt like 1000 but probably around 600-800 people took the exam

Based on my score of an 85 and my list number in the 100's there is no way even half of the people there passed....Felt like 1000 but probably around 600-800 people took the exam

Sorry, guys, there may be a catch.

I've been out of touch with how the hiring process works for a while but here's how I think it goes:

You could have a 95, for example, and be #10 on the list. But there could be 20 persons with the same mark and they are also # 10 on the list. There could then be 20 more persons with a 96, 5 persons with a 97, 3 persons with a 98, and so on.

I suggest you talk to some FF's who were recently hired (not the old guys because things keep changing in the hiring process). If you don't know any, stop in a firehouse and ask. Most FF's will be glad to give you the straight skinny.

BFD1054 likes this

I know of a few people that passed and are in the 800's

WOW!! 800's?? I feel pretty good then..We need to find out how many took it and what list number they went up to on previous exams... and yes i know there is more 85's then just me but I figured there would have been a lot of 100's...

i passed and im #713 on the list,i got a 75 not bad for my first test EVER for the fire service.

efdcapt115 likes this

Sorry, guys, there may be a catch.

I've been out of touch with how the hiring process works for a while but here's how I think it goes:

You could have a 95, for example, and be #10 on the list. But there could be 20 persons with the same mark and they are also # 10 on the list. There could then be 20 more persons with a 96, 5 persons with a 97, 3 persons with a 98, and so on.

I suggest you talk to some FF's who were recently hired (not the old guys because things keep changing in the hiring process). If you don't know any, stop in a firehouse and ask. Most FF's will be glad to give you the straight skinny.

I don't know how they do it...but I know the 3 prior tests to this one all the grades were in 5 point increments...100, 95, 90 etc. Maybe if someone out there got something other then this grade wise they can chime in but I know that's been the case in the past.

#80 with a 90..wow. I got a 100 on the test I got hired off of with a list # of20 and there were just over a 100 on the list that scored a 100. As with many out there and never getting a straight answer..the list # isn't as consequential as your score..as if you got a 90 and reachable on the list..then I believe all the 90's are eligible to be interviewed.

BFD1054 and efdcapt115 like this

I got a 90 and am 37th on the list. Meanwhile I know someone who got an 85 and was 336... so there seems to me not to be that many 95 and 100 scores but a lot of 90's and below.

I got a 90 on the test and am 22 on the list.

Edited by wrx9514

I got a 90 on the test and am 22 on the list.

Seems to me there are virtually no 100's or 95's which means the 75 or so of us with 90's all have a good chance of being canvassed in the next two years. With this list, some of the 85's might get in on a job. I can't understand how they will differentiate between all the 90's and especially the 85's since there were at least 300 or so with an 85.

Seems to me there are virtually no 100's or 95's which means the 75 or so of us with 90's all have a good chance of being canvassed in the next two years. With this list, some of the 85's might get in on a job. I can't understand how they will differentiate between all the 90's and especially the 85's since there were at least 300 or so with an 85.

Yea i am an 85 and ranked in the 170's...going to be some tough competition for these jobs but remember residency will hurt a lot of us :(

Congrats to all those who did well! First off I think Westchester should start to shift to a model like NYC does with major civil service test's like the firefighter test. In NYC it is all computerized, runs for a few months, and you get an immediate unofficial score when you finish the exam. I think it would be easier for them to get the official results out quicker if they didn't have a massive amount of exams to grade all at once. Second I believe that the CPAT is part of the hiring process now in Westchester. It is difficult so look it up and start trainnig for it now. Also, remember that all though the county gives the exam it is local dept's that do the hiring and thus might only hire 5-10 guys if that many off a list in the three to four years the list is good and a good portion of them hire from the residency list. The cities that hire a larger amount have there own exams

efdcapt115 likes this

I know somebody who got a 95% and he is #8

I know somebody who got a 95% and he is #8

That's good news for everyone with a 90. Once they fly through the 100s and 95s ( about 20 of them combined) We're up!

That's good news for everyone with a 90. Once they fly through the 100s and 95s ( about 20 of them combined) We're up!

and good news for us 85's!! hopefully the physical cuts a lot of people out

First off I think Westchester should start to shift to a model like NYC does with major civil service test's like the firefighter test. In NYC it is all computerized, runs for a few months, and you get an immediate unofficial score when you finish the exam. I think it would be easier for them to get the official results out quicker if they didn't have a massive amount of exams to grade all at once.

Westchester does not have a test, the test is developped and administered by NYS Civil Service. And on test day they run hundreds of simultanious tests statewide.

billy98988 likes this

and good news for us 85's!! hopefully the physical cuts a lot of people out

It very well could...for those of you who get to..make sure you make the orientation and practice test...and do not..DO NOT...wait for the practice to see where you are at...prepare and train early.

FFSiano and x129K like this

Westchester does not have a test, the test is developped and administered by NYS Civil Service. And on test day they run hundreds of simultanious tests statewide.

It's Multiple Choice on a Scantron answer sheet!!! It could be corrected statewide in a week.

They used to blame the time delay on the protest procedure. That ability to protest went away and the time delay got longer.

You and I could correct Westchester's FF exams (only 800 or so) Manually...only working half days...only on weekends...and you're Jewish so weekends are only one day. And it would take us a lot less than Westchester's average time of about 5 months.

Alpinerunner likes this

It's Multiple Choice on a Scantron answer sheet!!! It could be corrected statewide in a week.

Chief, How long have you been out of New York State? Nothing can be done in this state in a week. :D:P

It very well could...for those of you who get to..make sure you make the orientation and practice test...and do not..DO NOT...wait for the practice to see where you are at...prepare and train early.

So true! I have taken the CPAT twice now, and it just blew me away how nonchalant some of these guys were during the actual test. One guy was built like a brick house, but dogging it like he was in the middle of the Sahara with 150 pound camelback lol. People need to take the test more seriously and start preparations early.

Same difference then, the state should start to go toward the NYC model. It makes life so much easier for everyone and is a better and more efficiant way to test! All the questions on the computer with touch screens to choose your answer. Plenty of room and a comfy chair to sit in plus no pencils and a possible errors in grading that scantrons are known for. It made for a better testing situation for me and I'm sure for anyone taking a test. It's the way to go for the big large turn out civil service tests.

I know 2 people that got 85's. One is ranked 121 the other ranked 463.

Well don't any of you quit your real jobs yet! The last 3 Westchester County Career Fire academy classes have not had more then 12 guys and that was off the last list. Someone correct me if I'm wrong?

Well don't any of you quit your real jobs yet! The last 3 Westchester County Career Fire academy classes have not had more then 12 guys and that was off the last list. Someone correct me if I'm wrong?

well 12x3=36 guys! That is pretty decent odds for some ha

like i said dont quit your jobs!

I don't think any of us can afford to quit anything lol, however those of us close enough are hoping :)

P.S. To all hopefuls : 2 100s 15 95s about 100 90s 300+ 85s. They made into the mid 100s as far as rank goes ( on the last list).

Edited by AK198