Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BFD1054

Croton Incident - 11-19-10 Kudos To Westchester County PD Aviation

29 posts in this topic

I just read the IA for the Croton incident regarding the subject stuck in the mud.

I just wanted to say awesome job to WCPD Aviation for an outstanding job! That is a large area and would be very tricky for any sort of rescue or other emergency. AIR-2's assistance undoubtedly played a large role in the positive outcome of this situation. Just another great example of why WCPD Aviation is such an outstanding resource for the County. Job well done lads!

Also, kudos to all the responders on the ground; FD, EMS and PD. Great heads-up thinking by the IC to call in Air-2 and in such a timely manner. From the IA, Air-2 was in the area within 10 minutes of being requested.

Great work Detective/Chief Pilot Lieberman and Aviation Officer Powers!

And I agree with BFD1054, great call by the IC...I saw that in the Incident Alert and thought that this was going to be a good save!

Also, be sure to give EMSjunkie a +1 rep point for his excellent Incident Alert! (Click the "post-11-0-85274900-1290269399.jpg" in the bottom left hand corner of his post) and for any member deserving of a rep point in any posting!

Westchester County Police Press Release

WESTCHESTER COUNTY POLICE AVIATION UNIT RESCUES FATHER AND SON

Pair were stuck in mud in remote spot off Croton Point

A Peekskill man and his 6-year-old son were rescued by officers aboard the Westchester County police helicopter today after they became stuck in deep mud in a marsh off Croton Point Park.

The 34-year-old dad was stuck in mud almost to his waist and his son was stuck in mud above his waist when the county police Aviation Unit responded to the scene in Croton Bay about 3:40 p.m. The area where the pair became stuck is in a marsh and the tide was out at the time.

Police officers and firefighters were planning a rescue attempt from the shore, but thick mud, tall reeds and the remote location made accessibility difficult. The county police Marine Unit also responded, but was not able to access the marsh because the tide was out.

With temperatures dropping and darkness approaching, Detective Christopher Lieberman, the Aviation Unit’s chief pilot, brought the helicopter down to within inches of the mud and hovered there while Police Officer Brian Powers, who went out on the skids of the aircraft, physically pulled father and son from the mud and hauled them into the aircraft. He was assisted by Police Officer Michael Brady from inside the helicopter.

Father and son were flown to a nearby ball field where an ambulance was waiting. They were then taken to Hudson Valley Hospital Center in Cortlandt for observation.

Public Safety Commissioner George N. Longworth praised the skill of the Aviation crew and said it was fortunate that the father had a cell phone with him to dial 911 when trouble struck.

“The location is a remote one and the park is not very busy this time of year. If not for the phone, they may have been stuck for hours in the cold and dark before anyone realized they were missing. The tide would have come back in and hypothermia definitely would have been an issue.”

Croton Point Park is in the village of Croton-on-Hudson and is just west of the Croton-Harmon station of the Metro-North Commuter Railroad.

This is where the value of training pays off. Back in July, our area Mutual Aid Coordinator (Battalion 10) set up a demo and training program to show all of us the capabilities of the WCPD Aviation Unit. What was learned that night, plus what I have read on this website has once again paid off.

Thank you, WCPD Aviation Unit.

(Hey Chris - we're on FIREGROUND 5... :P )

chris likes this

It must be a very touchy operation to pluck someone out of a mud bog in an aircraft hovering so close to the ground.

You gotta figure the gross weight of the craft instantly increases by the weight of the person who was just freed, there has to be precise corrections made to the lift to prevent a catastrophic drop in altitude!

Excellent Job!

We're all allergic to gravity.

Geez. CHIEF Pilot??? Seems like just yesterday I was talking his ICS 300 class and he mentioned going to LEARN how to fly a chopper. :)

It must be a very touchy operation to pluck someone out of a mud bog in an aircraft hovering so close to the ground.

You gotta figure the gross weight of the craft instantly increases by the weight of the person who was just freed, there has to be precise corrections made to the lift to prevent a catastrophic drop in altitude!

Excellent Job!

We're all allergic to gravity.

Good job, Chris.

To add to Jack's comment, every tug on the victim changes the weight distribution of the whirlybird (Betcha haven't heard that word in a while). Also, the victim's weight on each tug might be three times his actual weight because of the mud's suction.

I would equivocate the pilot's sense of reaction to log rolling in rough seas.

Whirlybird...has a kind of a nice ring to it, eh Chris? You should use it in your reports...it's a lot better than the word aircraft

Edited by wraftery

Sounds like it was a difficult operation.... Great job to everyone involved getting the job done

I listened to most of this call at the firehouse with a few others. I was impressed with the response by all involved and would like to give extra recognition to the dispatchers who were relaying information from the caller with statements like "the caller hears your sirens", "they're calling out for you", "they can see the helicopter now". While I put their statements in quotes, I can't be certain that those are exact quotes. Either way, their professionalism and help certainly speed up the rescue of the individuals.

BFD1054 likes this

Geez. CHIEF Pilot??? Seems like just yesterday I was talking his ICS 300 class and he mentioned going to LEARN how to fly a chopper. :)

More like the day before yesterday. :P

Nice job Chris

Pics? Nah, I want to see the Video!

Agreed. If there was a video camera mounted on the helicopter that is what I would want to see as well. I think that would be a killer video. Sounds like this was a plot from a movie as opposed to an actual rescue

So can we expect any of these or are we all forced to imagine what this must have looked like.

From Lo-Hud.com:

Helicopter pilot recounts father-son rescue off Croton Point

CROTON-ON-HUDSON — The Peekskill man and his 6-year-old son stranded in the mud off Croton Point Park on Friday night faced a rising tide and few options.

http://www.lohud.com/article/20101120/NEWS02/11200374/Helicopter-pilot-recounts-father-son-rescue-off-Croton-Point

Without Detective/Chief Pilot Lieberman and Aviation Officer Powers and the Texas-made Bell 407 ready to go, this would have been a good special call for Mahopac Fall's Hovercraft......and now maybe an excuse for Croton FD to get one, lol.

post-11-0-28713500-1290299610.jpg

post-11-0-34256600-1290299883.jpg

Agreed. If there was a video camera mounted on the helicopter that is what I would want to see as well. I think that would be a killer video. Sounds like this was a plot from a movie as opposed to an actual rescue

So can we expect any of these or are we all forced to imagine what this must have looked like.

Just youtube NYPD Aviation. They do this kind of thing on a daily basis and there is plenty of video both from the helicopters and bystanders of them performing saves.

Bell 407 ready to go, this would have been a good special call for Mahopac Fall's Hovercraft......

Look at the prop on it.....its just a cheap copter with only a tail rotor.

I'm certain that the next time there will be video.

At the time of th is post, Det Chris Lieberman is probably in his basement developing a helmet cam. Since he has to use both hands and feet to fly, my guess the Rec/Off will be teeth activated, and Pan,zoom,and focus will be done with the tongue.

Excellent job by all. As previously stated Aviation was the nuts and bolts of this operations that was rather impressive to listen to on the radio. 60 Control did a fantastic job blending information between the victim/caller, aviation and the ground resources. Congratulations to the I/C. Excellent job thinking outside the box to get the resources needed in place to get the job done. This job provided a lot lessons learned on how a difficult job can have a positive outcome when everyone works together and plays nice in the sandbox.

Edited by PEMO3

Great job guys!

Chris, was this a bit stereotypical? A guy with the last name Lieberman strapped in and operating the complicated, delicate machine, and two others (expendables?), by the names of Powers and Brady leaning out, tugging, and hoping for the best...:blink:

Seriously, great job by all. I know that area and that was a legit rescue.

Pics? Nah, I want to see the Video!

We'll settle for either!

We're all glad that it worked out OK and they were just a little bit cold and wet (not to mention embarassed). It was a great team effort; thanks to the Croton FD for their hospitality and the Croton PD dispatcher for piecing together all the father's cryptic descriptions of the location.

As for our camera, we talked about using the FLIR camera but quickly decided it wasn't worth tying up the crew or risking damage to the VERY expensive camera to try and get our own footage. There are other camera options, including helmet cams, but we don't operate with them at this time.

Fireground what? :lol:

As more Budget Cuts come down the line...

WCPD Aviation Unit should NOT be one of them!

Kudos to PD, FD, and EMS!

Hey Chris, would it be too much to ask to use the tail prop to cut down those reeds? :D

I agree with RWC as well, this is a resource that shouldn't even be considered as an expendable item. We've worked with that chopper a few times this past year alone. Here's a few incidents I recall calling it for in 2010;

1/1/10 - Aviation assisted locating a missing kayaker in the Hudson River.

7/6/10 - Aviation assisted us with a rescue of an injured swimmer on the Croton River.

11/19/10 - Aviation rescued two in the mud at Croton Point Park.

I encourage everyone to reach out to our County Executive to let him know how invaluable this resource is. The life it saves could be that of someone you know and care about!

E-mail him at ce@westchestergov.com or call (914) 995-2900.

As for our camera, we talked about using the FLIR camera but quickly decided it wasn't worth tying up the crew or risking damage to the VERY expensive camera to try and get our own footage. There are other camera options, including helmet cams, but we don't operate with them at this time.

I'm suuprised no one on the ground was videotaping.

You don't have Helmet Cams on your rescue helmets for PR, training, and when funding time comes around?

post-11-0-98184300-1290461114.jpg

I'm suuprised no one on the ground was videotaping.

You don't have Helmet Cams on your rescue helmets for PR, training, and when funding time comes around?

post-11-0-98184300-1290461114.jpg

Where are those cameras aiming and where are his hands?

Where are those cameras aiming and where are his hands?

That's not a camera, it's night vision goggles.

Very quick question.. With radio communications on three differant channels... Would this incident be a good time for 60-Control to tie in all three for interop-ability.. Remember 585, I assume you could answer this better then anyone else... Could it have been done, and mostly would it of been worth it to do? How time consuming is it?

Saturday morning ( around 6 am ) I went for a ride on my mountain bike, and being from a river town, nothing is better then a ride along the river. I started out from Sanasqua Park and headed south, along the trail to Croton Point Park, past the football field and marsh were dad and son were stuck.... then past the old weigh station for the old dump.........

At this point my eyes drifted left up the mountain of buried garbage, and I spotted watch looked like a small huskey.. I stopped my bike and yelled up to him, as he watched me, then 6 more pointy eared heads popped up in the same area... A pack of what I saw, 7 coyotes... were on patrol looking for food.... Had dad and son not gotten out of that mud, I would hate to see what might of happened, as it was their hurting grounds...

So, thanks to the Copter crew and FD for getting them out, and thanks to the Dad for having his cell..

Very quick question.. With radio communications on three differant channels... Would this incident be a good time for 60-Control to tie in all three for interop-ability.. Remember 585, I assume you could answer this better then anyone else... Could it have been done, and mostly would it of been worth it to do? How time consuming is it?

Aviation (as well as the Marine Unit) of WCPD has UHF radios with the Fireground (Ground Ops) channels in them. Communications is fairly simple.