Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IzzyEng4

(Topic Closed) New Haven Black Bear Saloon Incident

18 posts in this topic

I'm asking everyone on EMTBravo to boycott ALL Blackbear Saloons's and Wicked Wolf Tavern's where ever you go. A CT career firefighter was denied entry to their establishment in New Haven last night because he is of Asian decent and they used a derogatory term when referring to him!!!!

He was denied entry because "he had baggy jeans on" and was called a racist name. A great majority of the firefighters and his co-workers inside heard about this and came to his side. After all he was still denied entry and he went on his way.

TELL THEM WE WILL NOT STAND FOR THIS!!!!

Thank you - Joe

M' Ave, sfrd18 and PFDRes47cue like this

That a real shame...I was given a lot of promotional cards a while back when they came around to local agencies to promote the different location. The promotional cards give give all "Civil Servants" 50% off all food purchases and no cover charge anytime you go and show the card which has unlimited uses. I have never gone anyways...and now don't plan to. Anyone want the cards? laugh.gif

Dis the rest of his Brothers walk out as well?

By what I am hearing, the event was going on when it happened and many didn't hear of it until after the fact.

I know the owners and many employees of their establishments. Has someone tried to contact management and tell them what happened? I know for a fact they will/would not put up with something like this. They have always been pro cop/ff/ems. They hold most of the 10-13 Benefits here in Westchester and almost always the employees give whatever they make to who the benefit is for. We also don't know both sides to the story! Just keep an opened mind until the whole story comes out!

27east likes this

Oneeye, yes we know both sides of the story as it was witnessed by the person who told me as well as many of the firefighters in attendance. Also management and staff of the New Haven location was involved and still refused to let him in. He was wearing the same style jeans as many of the Caucasian firefighters in the establishment. There is a facebook page up now about this, all the information is there.

Oneeye, yes we know both sides of the story as it was witnessed by the person who told me as well as many of the firefighters in attendance. Also management and staff of the New Haven location was involved and still refused to let him in. He was wearing the same style jeans as many of the Caucasian firefighters in the establishment. There is a facebook page up now about this, all the information is there.

What's the FB page?

Izzy would you mind if I posted this thread to my FB page? I found the other page!

I don't think I found the right page!

I found that page too...I don't think they're what we are looking for, although they seemed to bring up the same issues.

Just as an aside, the Wicked Wolf Tavern located in CT is not under the same ownership as the Wicked Wolf Tavern/Restaurant located on Tremont Avenue in the Throgg's Neck section of the Bronx, so if you happen to see that one, it's OK. Plus, the owner is very pro PD/FD and the like...

Just as an aside, the Wicked Wolf Tavern located in CT is not under the same ownership as the Wicked Wolf Tavern/Restaurant located on Tremont Avenue in the Throgg's Neck section of the Bronx, so if you happen to see that one, it's OK. Plus, the owner is very pro PD/FD and the like...

The Wicked Wolf in CT is owned by the owners of Black Bear chain right next to it. Thank you for the clarification to make sure that an establishment that is not business related to the ones with the problem would not be effected. We don't want to hurt an establishment with a similar name.

Everyone, I have been informed that this occurred after the event, not during the event. I am sorry for the misinformation posted but still this should not have happened to our fellow firefighter.

I have corrected the original post. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Everyone, I have been informed that this occurred after the event, not during the event. I am sorry for the misinformation posted but still this should not have happened to our fellow firefighter.

I have corrected the original post. Sorry for the inconvenience.

This shouldn't happen to ANYONE, regardless of position or title.

BFD1054 and 791075 like this

Which is exactly why the facts of the story should be affirmed prior to public rants.

I have known the Fire Fighter in question as a friend for over 20 years and have no doubt to HIS integrity. Much like 99.9% of the people pushing this boycott, I was NOT present when the issue arose.

I am just amazed at how quiet HE is about this and how many OTHER people are running hastily all over the internet without having much detail.

My organization has worked with these establishments on numerous occasions and have found them to be very friendly to assisting public safety officers. I would hate for the actions of one or two morons to be portrayed as being part of an organized discrimination campaign by a business.

Looking at what I have heard and read, there appears to be something missing from story. In 2011, for a large business to openly refuse entrance to people because they are of Asian decent, seems to be like trying to put your tongue on the third-rail?

I could be wrong, but was there any attempt to sit-down with a representative of management (and I am not talking about the bar manager on duty that night) trying to discuss the issue before this thing was shot out of the canon?

With respect to my quiet and humble friend, it appears that it may have been more prudent and systematic steps that could have been taken, prior to others using his face and background with a viral internet surge.

Every organization has its misfits, morons, criminals and malcontents (the Yankees have a full roster). However, it is stretch to suggest that the Company is condoning the behavior without the Company having an opportunity to be aware of the behavior and discipline/terminate those responsible and make amends with those harmed.

The internet posts and Facebook pages were created by Sunday at noon, this incident happened on Saturday night. Kind of hard to allow for a response or answer to a complaint and allow for information to be digested or processed.

Kind of like prejudicing an entire Fire Department or Police Department because of one bad member or Officer.

Edited by x152

I must say i completely agree that nobody should ever experience what is being said of that evening. However, with that said, i also have to agree with x152 in that, you cant punish an entire company for something that one of their employees is really responsible for. I happen to have a few friends that work in the White Plains BlackBear/ Wicked Wolf establishments and on numerous occasions have seen the good working relationship and full compliance with any request made by FD during "random" inspections and PD during mishaps that occur during the course of the night either within their place of business or one of the many others on mamaroneck ave and post rd. Not to mention I as well, as unfortunate as it is to say, have been around for quite a few 10-13 functions including one of which was for one of my own direct family members. I have always as well as all of my co-workers, family and friends been treated with the utmost respect and hospitality at these locations. Further more, everyone who is posting on both this website as well as facebook has to realize that these are both private sites. You are not even giving the management or owners for that matter a chance to explain their course of action being taken and to mitigate something like this from ever happening again. From what I heard from another individual who is a career member of service and in no way affiliated with the establishment, its not even clear if it was in fact an employee who made the derogatory statement because when asked to point out who said it the answer was, "I don't remember". The FACT that the fellow brother was denied entry is just that, a fact. The derogatory statement, however, which seems to be the real problem (and rightfully so) has the possibility of not even coming from an employee. I however, like x152, was not there this night though, so i have no choice but to go by hear say. Which seems to be an ongoing trend for the majority of the posts on both EMTbravo as well as Facebook. It just seems like a shame to jump to conclusions about something and to put a boycott out about an entire company as a whole when there was a very localized problem that took place. I dont know about the rest of you but i sure hate when "we" the civil service members get negative press, which seems to happen all to often these days... this whole thing just feel all too familiar in that sense. Again, why do you punish everyone for one rotten egg twho most likely doesn't have a job anymore at this point anyway. Just something to think about.

JFLYNN likes this