Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firedude

Confined Space Truck

14 posts in this topic

This one has me scratching my head. I would like to know what this truck is for. It belongs to Rye's Department of Public Works. It has the words "Confined Space" on all side of the truck. On the door logo, it has "DPW" and "Confined Space". That logo is different from the other Rye DPW trucks. It has an Amber Lightbar, and is fitted with a plow during winter. Do any other DPW's have trucks like this?

5465776307_769a2fd15b_z.jpg

Any help would be appreciated

Maybe the signage is there to keep people out? You know, you need a confine space permit to retrieve anything from inside the cap? It has restricted/limited entry/exit, is large enough for entry and to perform work, yet not designed for continuous occupancy. Add in the CO poisoning issues inside caps and you now have a permit required confined space! Man I shoulda been a lawyer!

Edited by antiquefirelt
Bnechis and Monty like this

Great shot.

To answer your question, I would assume it carries equipment for DPW workers to safely enter sewers, etc. Since the Tarrytown tragedy, I think more departments are training and buying special confined space equipment.Kudos to Rye FD.

efdcapt115 likes this

well workers that go into sewers and other small places underground that are very poorly ventilated actually have or suppose to have SCBA and gas detectors and other proper equipment for entry into the space. if you read up on what happened in tarrytown alot of towns are checking to see if they meet standards now. Its a shame it took two lives to be lost to make this happen

efdcapt115 likes this

Since the Tarrytown tragedy, I think more departments are training and buying special confined space equipment.Kudos to Rye FD.

Kudos to Rye DPW......(why FD?)

Kudos to Rye DPW......(why FD?)

That's what he meant professor....jeesh :blink: Next you'll be giving out report cards on here....lol

firedude likes this

That's what he meant professor....jeesh :blink: Next you'll be giving out report cards on here....lol

Nope, just making sure I was not missing anything. And your report card says: "works and plays well with others" :D

Nope, just making sure I was not missing anything. And your report card says: "works and plays well with others" :D

Really? Oh thank you, thank you! :D

Its a shame it took two lives to be lost to make this happen

Isn't that the way things always go in this world? Wait for the tragedy, then hurry up and get up to the standards. NOT saying this is the case with regard to Rye, just a general statement regarding workplace safety. So many places play Russian Roulette with the safety of their workers. They gamble that something horrific won't happen, most times because it's the cheaper way to do business. Then after tragedy strikes, employers make long overdue changes in the workplace....so it doesn't happen...again.

If I remember right, it is the responsibility of the employer to provide confined spsce permits, training (operations level) and rescue capability. The FD doesn't rspond for every time a man goes down a manhole. Thus the DPW truck.

OR

That truck is the plow for Ryes narrow streets where the big plows don't fit.

OR

AFL says

"Maybe the signage is there to keep people out? You know, you need a confine space permit to retrieve anything from inside the cap? It has restricted/limited entry/exit, is large enough for entry and to perform work, yet not designed for continuous occupancy. Add in the CO poisoning issues inside caps and you now have a permit required confined space! Man I shoulda been a lawyer!"

Antiquefirelt is correct. Anyplace under the cap is a confined spsce. So isn't the cab of the truck also a confined space along with the pooper stall at the DPW Garage or the firehouse?

Edited by wraftery

From what I have seen Rye is and has been very proactive in confined space training and awareness with the members of the DPW. It is true that there is alot more focus on confined space since the tragic incident. Rye DPW also has Rye fd ladder respond whenever they are entering a confined space. I believe that the confined entry permit requires that the local FD be notified whenever there is entry into a confined space but does not require fd on location, but way to go for taking an extra precaution, can't fault anybody for that.

I believe that the confined entry permit requires that the local FD be notified whenever there is entry into a confined space but does not require fd on location, but way to go for taking an extra precaution, can't fault anybody for that.

The regulation normally does not require that, but the dept. that is doing the entry/running the permit program is well within there rights to mandate it. And you are correct, its a good idea.

The pickup is used by the public works to carry their confined space equipment. All of the public works confined space equipment is stored in the truck 24/7. They(public works) have certain employees trained in confined space. This truck and equipment is totally separate from the FD. Currently it is set up that the FD is notified of any confined space entry by DPW, if it is expected to be a extended entry the FD will be asked to standby on scene. Ladder 25 carries a complete confined space rescue set up. The career staff is trained in confined space rescue, with the volunteers trained in confined space awareness. Public Works and the FD started joint training in 2001 or 2002. In that time training has taken place annually with public works and other neighboring depts. The most recent confined space rescue training was completed in January with a public works foreman and three police officers attending(below is a link to a article in the local rag).

http://www.myryesoundshore.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1397:to-the-rescue&catid=34:news&Itemid=53

efdcapt115 and firedude like this

From what I have seen Rye is and has been very proactive in confined space training and awareness with the members of the DPW. It is true that there is alot more focus on confined space since the tragic incident. Rye DPW also has Rye fd ladder respond whenever they are entering a confined space. I believe that the confined entry permit requires that the local FD be notified whenever there is entry into a confined space but does not require fd on location, but way to go for taking an extra precaution, can't fault anybody for that.

Just a quick aside, my FD does as you describe. The CS permit requires the rescue service be named on the permit. To my knowledge OSHA says that the rescue service must know they are the service on a permit. We require all CS permits using our FD to notify us, fax or deliver us a copy of the permit before entry and arrange with the duty officer the procedures for exiting if we determine our CS Tech staffing is below 4 available personnel. In most cases, this requires major work to be scheduled and the permittee to hire a detail to ensure adequate staffing, while minor work or emergency entries may proceed until staffing is below the minimum. In 95% of the cases, at least two Tech's will review the space during just prior to or at the time of entry to ensure we're prepared for the potential situation.

This is great contrast to 10 years ago when one major industrial plant used to list us without our knowledge and us with barely any CS training beyond awareness levels. We were lucky that a former disgruntled employee called in the DOL and reported the situation that lead to adequate training and equipping of personnel as well as detailed policies. In that short 10 years we've made at least 5 significant CS rescues two that included high angle rappelling into confined spaces to rescue employees with serious injuries. Sadly, the first and most difficult went on to make a full recovery and kill his GF in a drunk driving accident within the same year.