Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

American LaFrance To Once Again Offer Eagle Chasis To Other Manufacturers

19 posts in this topic

From an ALF Press release:

American LaFrance, LLC Opens Eagle Fire Chassis Sales to Industry OEM’s

SUMMERVILLE, SC – American LaFrance debuted its new 2012 model Eagle fire chassis at FDIC 2011 in Indianapolis. On the opening day of the show, the company announced it will now distribute the 2012 model Eagle fire chassis through select fire and emergency manufacturing partners.

“We started discussions with fire departments and body builders last year and noted their concerns related to how today’s fire chassis alternatives would react to the evolving EPA emission standards and NFPA guidelines,” says Richard Ball, Director of Marketing for American LaFrance. “We feel the new 2012 Eagle exceeds all compliance standards and maintains the strong record of performance and reliability that has always followed the Eagle brand.”

American LaFrance Eagle customers will have access to the largest fire chassis service network in North America. Combined with its growing fire dealer network, American LaFrance will leverage its vocational dealer network adding over 125 locations and 500 bays. “While the confidence in the Eagle’s performance and quality is high, the OEM’s we talked to highlighted the need for trusted service outlets,” says Bill Landreth, Vice President of Aftermarket for American LaFrance. “We can provide greater warranty, parts, and service access utilizing our fire and vocational network to departments across North America.”

The 2012 Eagle will feature the Cummins lineup of 2010 EPA ISC 8.3L, ISL 9L, and ISX 11.9 engines. While previously only available in the Metropolitan model, the 2012 Eagle will feature the Allison EVS 3000 Series transmissions as an option. The 1,627 square inch radiator allows for maximum cooling to allow the engine to capture peak horsepower and torque ratings. The cab includes upgrades that have been made standard, including a new multiplex VMUX electrical system designed to enable real time performance, safety, and truck data to be fed through an easy to read dash mounted display.

A noticeable highlight pointed out by many of the FDIC attendees was the relocation of the DEF tank. The DEF tank contains urea and can be corrosive in nature, so positioning the tank in the cab can lead to unpleasant odors over time. American LaFrance avoids this issue by placing the tank outside the cab, under the passenger step well.

If you are interested in sales information related to the Eagle fire chassis, please visit www.americanlafrance.com to locate an American LaFrance dealer or American LaFrance Regional Sales Manager in your area.

From an end user:

They are junk. We have 3 and they can not supply parts to replace broken parts we have in all of them.

From an end user:

They are junk. We have 3 and they can not supply parts to replace broken parts we have in all of them.

aaaaaaa that's why they are called American LaJunk ...

aaaaaaa that's why they are called American LaJunk ...

Just like E-Junk, HME and KME = Have/Keep Mechanics Employed, etc.... They all have nick-names...

Just like E-Junk, HME and KME = Have/Keep Mechanics Employed, etc.... They all have nick-names...

Pierce of #*$/

Let's face the facts folks, each manufacturer will have their pros and cons. What it comes down to is whether the rig is suitable for your district and gets the job done. Opinions will vary based on styles, looks, and performance on many rigs. Remember, there's no such thing as a "perfect" rig, every manufacturer will eventually have their flaws sooner or later.

Edited by FF398

i happen to enjoy the 2 alfs that my department runs along with the KME rescue pumper we have.

Unfortunetly ALF has gone down hill in the last two decades... I am personally a big fan of the once King of the Fleet. But an one time or another the King must step down.

No rig is completely perfect. Some are better than others, my department has a few E-Ones and we're pretty happy with them. Remember, a fire apparatus is a pretty intricate vehicle when you think about it. How many thousands of feet of wiring is in just a basic pumper? Not to mention when you get into more complicated systems such as an aerial piece with a huge generator, overrides, a pump, sensors. Theres a lot to go wrong there if you think about it. While I agree some may be better than others, they're all going to have their problems, a relay in the electrical system could go bad, a sensor could get dirty....and with that it could take out 10 other things that are associated with it. That's why sometimes its just best to keep it simple. I mean who really needs a fire apparatus with an LCD, blue-ray player, and a keurig coffee machine in the cab?:P Some departments spec out these monstrocities and wonder why they have issues.

No rig is completely perfect. Some are better than others, my department has a few E-Ones and we're pretty happy with them. Remember, a fire apparatus is a pretty intricate vehicle when you think about it. How many thousands of feet of wiring is in just a basic pumper? Not to mention when you get into more complicated systems such as an aerial piece with a huge generator, overrides, a pump, sensors. Theres a lot to go wrong there if you think about it. While I agree some may be better than others, they're all going to have their problems, a relay in the electrical system could go bad, a sensor could get dirty....and with that it could take out 10 other things that are associated with it. That's why sometimes its just best to keep it simple. I mean who really needs a fire apparatus with an LCD, blue-ray player, and a keurig coffee machine in the cab?:P Some departments spec out these monstrocities and wonder why they have issues.

You are correct rigs today are very complicated. Maybe its our fault, we expected to much. we thought things like the dashboard and engine cover would last more than a few years. We also expected door handles on the cab would actually last more than 1 year. These hi-tech compnents cant be expected to last on a $500,000+ truck.

We are running 9 front line ALF Engines, 4 ALF - Reserve Engines and 2 ALF TL front line and 2 ALF reserve TL as well as a front line ALF rescue and a ALF spare - while someone already said it no rig is perfect and they all have their inherent hitches - but with an aggressive preventive maintenance program (kudos to our shop personnel) we have experienced few if any front line breakdowns of the ALF's - our shop stocks hard to get parts. a Preventive maintenance program is key to keeping any truck in the tip top performance range.

Bnechis likes this

ALF has not been the same since they left Elmira.

I mean who really needs a fire apparatus with an LCD, blue-ray player, and a keurig coffee machine in the cab?:P Some departments spec out these monstrocities and wonder why they have issues.

sounds like the ALF from our town...lol

You are correct rigs today are very complicated. Maybe its our fault, we expected to much. we thought things like the dashboard and engine cover would last more than a few years. We also expected door handles on the cab would actually last more than 1 year. These hi-tech compnents cant be expected to last on a $500,000+ truck.

Sorry Capt. I was more referring to electrical and wiring problems. Thats just straight up garbage if those parts failed so quickly.

Barry...getting synical and pointed in your old age? He wasn't commenting one iota in comparison to what you posted and unless he was a mind reader he wouldn't have known the hi tech components he spoke spoke of weren't the same as yours.

Apparatus are becoming more and more electrical and computer driven...and I for one hate it. I liked the days when you could tell what was up with your pump by just listening to it along with the gauges. As far as manufacturing the body is owned by the manufacturer and when you have problems with that its extremely frustrating as that's about all that is made by them. Engines..made by someone else. Transmissions...made by someone else...pumps...made by someone else, most of the valves, plumbing, hydraulic lines...made by someone else. Then again the engine cover and handles were more then likely purchased by someone else. I often wonder what QA/QI many of the manufacturers have when they purchase parts to put on their apparatus or if its still just that they make enough money replacing it as needed.

With that said...we have had great luck with the E Ones we have in our department. So much so I would like my engine replaced by one and gain some more familiarization within the deparatment. But unfortunately some other attitudes are more prevalent and I have to be different, and bigger and badder often get the most votes. I also came from a service which was pretty much an all E one county and never had major issues with any of them either other then the occassional electrical issue and other things. I will take minor stuff as they come, but it is aggravating when its multiple minor issues all at once.

40 years ago?

They left in 1984, so 27 years ago. That's when Figgie/Kersey moved them to Bloomfield. VA and the Century 200 Series came out, along withe the Pacemaker and another low-end budget truck. Then they went belly up because Figgie bleed them out in 1991. The Freightliner bot them because of Jim Hebe, and I though they had a change but soon as Hebe said bye-bye, the production went down, again. Then this mess.........................