Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Chaos In Canada

14 posts in this topic

I don't know what to make of this. I know there would have been riots in Boston if they lost, but Vancouver was out of control. Does losing really neccesitate the destruction of property and threaten lives? And getting into fights intentionally with police officers? Is this the kind of behavior that is appropriate for losing a hockey game? I know its Canada's national sport, but still.

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0oGdVs9xvpNPkoANrVXNyoA?ei=UTF-8&fr=yfp-t-701&p=vancouver+riots&rs=0&fr2=rs-top

They did the same thing in 1994 when the Rangers beat them, and I really dont think that Bruin fans would of rioted if they lost, Redsox fans never rioted when the Yankees knocked them out of the playoffs. There was really no police presence whem the rioting started, I think if you have a crowd that big in the area you would have tons of security there but they didnt. They never learned from the last time.

This really wasn't a surprise. Montreal, Vancouver, Ottowa; Canadians just like to riot.

Seth,

As Calhobs said, people did the same in 94. You are wrong in painting Boston fans that way. They did not riot last time Bruins lost in the cup finals, nor did Boston fans in 86 when they had good reason to after losing to the Mets. And if you read into it, it is not even hockey fans but nut jobs looking to rebel. Great hockey finals by the way.

Seth,

As Calhobs said, people did the same in 94. You are wrong in painting Boston fans that way. They did not riot last time Bruins lost in the cup finals, nor did Boston fans in 86 when they had good reason to after losing to the Mets. And if you read into it, it is not even hockey fans but nut jobs looking to rebel. Great hockey finals by the way.

If you read all the reports. The first vehicle flipped and burnt was put their intentionally by the owner to start the riots. It was a bunch of people who do this everywhere including the Olympics last year.

Seth,

But they did riot when they won the World Series in '04

But they did riot when they won the World Series in '04

They rioted after beating the yankees. After the series they just kind of partied. Boston is a special lil town, apparently fans didn't realize there was one more series.

A lot of this weren't even really from Canucks fans as it was more just a bunch of stupid people looking for trouble. There's a video of a guy getting a flashbang to the crotch and having it explode on contact. A lot of fans actually showed up to volunteer their time with the cleanup of the destruction.

Not just Canadians. Happens in LA after Lakers games and other events at the Staples Center too.

Any excuse...

JMHO, but this is what happens when you practice "feel good" policing. You can give the guys hats and bats and armor them up like ninja turtles, but to clear a unruly crowd you have to give them the green light to do it correctly. And yes, this may mean people get hurt. And the city fathers and police command staff will not do the right thing. Happens everywhere.

x129K likes this

I dont think we should focus on any one team or sport for that matter, it is more like a certain group of people that take things WAY too far and WAY too personal. Sports are there for our entertainment and fun, but when people take it this seriously...??? Whats next, starting a world war over a gold medal event in the olympics?? Its scary to even think about and its turning me off to sports all together. You cant just watch your favorite team any more and have intelligent conversation with friends and family about the sport any more without harmless kidding around that turns into arguments and words of hate, than eventually riots. I watch my sports events behind closed doors now, and only get together with my brother to watch football games and stay away from the absolute fanatics that are ruining the game today.

But, atleast the crowd returned to the scene to help clean up the damages, thats a start I guess. I will be waiting for the "Made for TV" Movie about the riots on Lifetime or some other feel good network to come out... :rolleyes: