Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PFDRes47cue

Chelsea House Fire 7/2/11 - DISCUSSION THREAD

15 posts in this topic

I hope the firefighter on the roof in picture #6 was spoken too for taking his helmet off and laying it on the roof.

Great pics, thanks for sharing.

How come a FAST team wasn't called?

I Would Assume Because It Didnt Go 2nd Alarm...Thats My Guess.

Thomas

If my memory serves me correct (and according to my it does not), didn't this house catch fire last year?

Thomas

No FAST on 1st alarm? I know the VAFD in my dist acts as RIT when needed, does castle point do the same? And BTW... GREAT SHOTS!

Edited by FFEMT150

If my memory serves me correct (and according to my it does not), didn't this house catch fire last year?

April 29, 2001

April 14, 2010

and Saturday July 2, 2011

Thomas

Poor excuse for any department. FAST on a minumum of the "working fire".

Nice work by the guys on the scene.

Poor excuse for any department. FAST on a minumum of the "working fire".

Nice work by the guys on the scene.

Or they had enough manpower of scene that they didnt need to special call FAST....FAST is just the name you give to the people providing the 2 out when you got 2 in. Around here we have special call teams called FAST or RIT, other places just use anyone else not doing anything.

FF398, TAPSJ, x129K and 1 other like this

Or they had enough manpower of scene that they didnt need to special call FAST....FAST is just the name you give to the people providing the 2 out when you got 2 in. Around here we have special call teams called FAST or RIT, other places just use anyone else not doing anything.

I'll buy that...excellent point.

To all questioning F.A.S.T team. between Cheslea,Beacon, and Castle Point we had approx. 40 firefighters on scene. Approx 25 interior. We were using 5-8 members at a time either interior or on roof. That left about 15 members outside for relief and/or F.A.S.T.. there was also 2 engines sitting idle for back up if needed. I felt with the manpower at the scene we did not need a 2nd alarm or formal team on scene. All of my interiors are at least survival trained and most have F.A.S.T. . This was just a fire on second floor and under control in about 20-30 mins. the guys made a quick stop of the fire and kept the fire damage to the front 2 rooms and part of the roof. Any further questions feels free to p.m. me. Bob Van Tassel Chief Chelsea

FFD941, 16fire5, TAPSJ and 9 others like this

I noticed in several photos that firefighters did not have SCBA on (AT ALL) while actively on a hoseline, and one guy is on the roof with no SCBA and ISN"T WEARING A HELMET!!!!! Where is your safety officer and WHY wasn't this caught!?!?!?!? This type of behavior contributes to LODDs!

This thread was split from the Photo Thread:

Keep in mind the Chief of Chelsea (35-1) has posted in here, and I would recommend, if you DO have any further questions, per his request, feel free to get in contact with him!

To all questioning F.A.S.T team. between Cheslea,Beacon, and Castle Point we had approx. 40 firefighters on scene. Approx 25 interior. We were using 5-8 members at a time either interior or on roof. That left about 15 members outside for relief and/or F.A.S.T.. there was also 2 engines sitting idle for back up if needed. I felt with the manpower at the scene we did not need a 2nd alarm or formal team on scene. All of my interiors are at least survival trained and most have F.A.S.T. . This was just a fire on second floor and under control in about 20-30 mins. the guys made a quick stop of the fire and kept the fire damage to the front 2 rooms and part of the roof. Any further questions feels free to p.m. me. Bob Van Tassel Chief Chelsea

peterose313 likes this

I hope the firefighter on the roof in picture #6 was spoken too for taking his helmet off and laying it on the roof.

Great pics, thanks for sharing.

I noticed in several photos that firefighters did not have SCBA on (AT ALL) while actively on a hoseline, and one guy is on the roof with no SCBA and ISN"T WEARING A HELMET!!!!! Where is your safety officer and WHY wasn't this caught!?!?!?!? This type of behavior contributes to LODDs!

Guys - just remember, that one of the main reasons so many of the local fire photogs stopped posting pics here is for posts like these. Images capture one MILLISECOND in time at an incident that is typically very busy. What you very well may be seeing is a guy putting his helmet down to take safety glasses out of the crown (common place to put them), then popping it right back on...could have been stung by a bee...anythinG!

It is not always perfect, textbook operations on a fire scene, you do what needs to be done to save lives and property. If you have a problem with something in a picture, make a note of it, and make sure YOUR guys don't do it...use it as a learning experience.

It is NOT our place to second guess the members actions in public, well, unless of course you work for Firefighter Close Calls..

I am glad the Chief posted above - clears up some questions. And let me clarify, I was not MMQ'ing the FAST decision, I was adding MY opinion. As a fireman who routinely operates without the added benefit of a deidcated FASTeam, it is something I feel is very important. Someday I hope to work to fix that on our end....

Good to see RM in action to boot!

Guys - just remember, that one of the main reasons so many of the local fire photogs stopped posting pics here is for posts like these. Images capture one MILLISECOND in time at an incident that is typically very busy. What you very well may be seeing is a guy putting his helmet down to take safety glasses out of the crown (common place to put them), then popping it right back on...could have been stung by a bee...anythinG!

It is not always perfect, textbook operations on a fire scene, you do what needs to be done to save lives and property. If you have a problem with something in a picture, make a note of it, and make sure YOUR guys don't do it...use it as a learning experience.

It is NOT our place to second guess the members actions in public, well, unless of course you work for Firefighter Close Calls..

I am glad the Chief posted above - clears up some questions. And let me clarify, I was not MMQ'ing the FAST decision, I was adding MY opinion. As a fireman who routinely operates without the added benefit of a deidcated FASTeam, it is something I feel is very important. Someday I hope to work to fix that on our end....

Good to see RM in action to boot!

Not to get off topic, but this is why I no longer post photos nor have I posted or even been present in the forums for months. I just now am starting to come back and hope that this has been resolved.

If you guys keep criticizing based on the photos, you're going to see less and less photos being posted here.

FFBlaser, firedude and peterose313 like this