Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ny10570

FDNY Firefighter

15 posts in this topic

Wow. Can't believe it actually came out! I also see that they changed the residency requirements for the 5 points to 1 year retroactive from the filing date. In the 2006 filing period, you had to maintain residency for 1 year AFTER taking the test... so you could see how well you did and see if it was worth moving to the city for the credit. On this test, you would have needed to be in the city by July 1 2010. I guess that will stop the scammers!

Is anyone else having trouble with viewing the list of exams online? I click on the link for it, and the page is just blank.

Is anyone else having trouble with viewing the list of exams online? I click on the link for it, and the page is just blank.

"This site is best viewed with a resolution of 800x600 (or higher) and supports Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0+, or Netscape 7.0+, or Firefox 1.0+." I was using a different browser and it wouldn't load for me either.

"This site is best viewed with a resolution of 800x600 (or higher) and supports Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0+, or Netscape 7.0+, or Firefox 1.0+." I was using a different browser and it wouldn't load for me either.

Thanks, I was using chrome and it wasnt showing up, as soon as I switched to internet explorer started working.

Right off the bat I can see ways the vulcans will claim racism, it's cheaper to file online, and the test is computer based, they will just say that minorities don't have the same access to computers as white applicants. They did get a bone of sorts thrown to them though, as the computer test will include some video and picture questions to make it fair. This was done after the vulcans claimed that reading wasn't important for our job and that the emphasis on reading comprehension was racist. I suppose once these people who can't read get on the job the bosses will have to read the department orders and regulations aloud to them, or maybe the job will just release them as books on tape. Absurd, good luck everybody

spyda308 and x129K like this

It would be a lifelong dream-come-true for me to get on the job. But quite honestly, i have become very discouraged in the last few years. I still cant fathom how the old test was racist.

We have beaten this horse many a time, so i wont go crazy. But as many guys have said, what happened to "the best candidate(s) gets the job?"

I know many guys on the job who's life dream was to be a fireman. But they now see this nonsense and some of the people who are spoon-fed the job and they're disgusted. I feel for those on the job and those who will get on the job in the future. It seems as the career fire service is losing that pride and tradition that was a huge part of the job.

Best of luck to those of you who plan to take the exam.

I'm an out of state applicant, what are the chances of an out of state applicant getting a realistic shot at getting hired?

The same as anyone else as long as you meet the requierments when you get hired meaming living in one of the approved counties that you can live in

Good luck

Nice, thanks, I have been waiting patiently for 3 years, this is my dream job.

Good luck to all.

...on a side note...has anyone seen the recruitment ads or online video? Fairly...uh, biased, no? Just an FYI; i went through proby school with a couple of people from the recruitment poster and they resigned under threat of termination and had to come back for the next academy class and repeat the entire program before getting through. Maybe if these folks put more effort into being good firefighters and less effort into being part of a one sided, loud mouthed, racist group they'd have less trouble actually performing the tasks demanded of them.

You can't erase lines with a highlighter.....

Nice, thanks, I have been waiting patiently for 3 years, this is my dream job.

Good luck to all.

It should be noted to any out of state candidate (or out of city for that matter) will be at a 5 point disadvantage to any city resident. Remember, there will be people who have a lot of extra credit on this list. The Vets returning from our two wars get a well deserved 5 points extra and those who lost a parent in city service, LODD, will receive an additional 10 points. Whomever is #1 on this list could conceivably have a total score of 120. That's a vet who lives in the city, lost a parent LODD in the F.D., P.D., EMS, ect and scored 100 on the written. This in no way means that the job is out of reach, but it does mean that you need to score 100%. If past history is any indicator, a TOTAL score of 100% would put you in the top 1,500-2,000 list numbers. Put that in time to be hired; I'd say 2 years, give or take.

A rough breakdown of the numbers is this:

We are currently in need of about: 300 Fr.

We lose 15 per month to retirement

Currently they promote the equivalent of 15 per month (though this will most definitely slow)

That means that, by the time this new list is certified, we will be short as many as 750 +/- and that's 18 months from now which does not include the 18 weeks that an academy class will take.

Realistically, there will be a need for 1,000 Fr. in the next 2-3 years and should take the list in the high 2,000's or even break 3,000.

One foot note: That's all rough math and educated estimates. Who know what'll really happen. This is a new test and a new way of conducting business.

Best of luck come January.

Alpinerunner likes this