Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JohnnyOV

Rappers memorializing DJ Henry

30 posts in this topic

Jay-Z, Kanye West release rap tribute to slain student Danroy Henry

PLEASANTVILLE — Hip-hop's Jay-Z andKanye West have dedicated "Murder to Excellence," a track from their new top-selling album, to the Pace University football player who was shot dead by a Pleasantville police officer.

Some excerpts:

(Jay-Z)

This is to the memory of Danroy Henry

Too much enemy fire to catch a friendly

(Kanye West)

Is it genocide? 'Cause I can still hear his momma cry

Know the family traumatized

Shots left holes in his face about piranha -sized.

Lohud Article

I am at a loss for words. I understand that a young man's life was taken, but it was taken because he was drunk and struck a police officer with his car as he tried to drive away. I can only see this causing problems in the near future for Police Officers.

BFD1054, bigrig77 and Stiles like this

Disapointed. I love Jay Z's work, but just the fact that he is collaborating with a DOOSHBAG like Kanye, let alone making a criminal an icon, disapoints me trmendously.

Now if I cna just keep my boy DMX out of prison long enough to make a record.........

nerdalert, FFBlaser and BFD1054 like this

lohud is a joke of a news paper!!!!!! i like how they leave all the info out and put this in "The 20-year-old was killed by Pleasantville Police Officer Aaron Hess as Henry drove from a parking lot outside a Thornwood bar Oct. 17." Are you kidding my!!!! Lets leave some more info out. So somebody not knowing the case (reading about it for the first time b/c jay z made a rap) makes it out like he was just driving out of the parking lot when he was shot and killed. Lohud or journal snooze do not like cops and firemen, at any chance they have they will make us look bad.

Edited by DR104
JohnnyOV, x129K and BFD1054 like this

This is how rappers have always made their money.

another reason why I don't listen to that filth...

Hope PO Hess sues the hell out of him for defamation of character. Leave well alone already. I mean Mr. Sharpton never got involved in this case. I have always been curious as to why. I beleive the answer is that he knew Henery was in the wrong and had to case to flaunt around. Can't wait to hearwhat Snooze 12 has to chime in with.

What do you all mean Jay-z and Kanye are rapping about some Perp who got shot? Um isn't that what rap is? Bunch of perps singing over a beat about their homeys who ain't with us no more. Standard formula isn't it? Why not get the shopping center renamed after him since it was such a "travesty". Better off letting the family pick the wing in the prison back in MA and naming it after him there, since that was were he was gonna end up if brave Officer Hess had not saved all those lives out there.

CFFD117 and x129K like this

Honestly, who cares? The first line about the dedication is basically as close as they get to referencing the actual incident. People need to stop making mountains out of hills here. It's really not that big a deal if you ask me. I don't listen to either one of them personally but I have a lot of respect for Jay-Z. He's not a stupid person and has been wise with his money/investments. I don't listen to much rap at all and if I do, it's some of the older stuff from the 90's and 80's. I'm more of a punk person myself.

I don't agree with most of what was said by people in regards to the handling of that whole situation, not gonna get into specifics but I just disagree and don't think that officer deserved any sort of medal or commendation for it.

ptwatson - I agree with you, it is a total defamation of character to Officer Hess. Al Sharpton, was here right after and left quickly,for him to not to be opening his mouth, he even knows!

They had a quote in Lohud, "I think it's amazing that so many celebrities can see through the lies that the Westchester D.A. and Mount Pleasant and Pleasantville police have put out there," Smith said.

Oh yeah because I know JayZ and kanye are on my list of top celebrities. How many other criminals get killed by cops, they don't all get a rap song? I love how he is still the victim here. Some people need a reality check.

Maybe instead of a rap song, his wonderful friends and "celebrities" can do some kind of awareness about underage drinking, driving while intoxicated and trying to run down a cop. I will always say it, everyone is lucky from that night it could have been a lot worse, but could have all been prevented!

billy98988 and PFDRes47cue like this

Honestly, who cares? The first line about the dedication is basically as close as they get to referencing the actual incident. People need to stop making mountains out of hills here. It's really not that big a deal if you ask me. I don't listen to either one of them personally but I have a lot of respect for Jay-Z. He's not a stupid person and has been wise with his money/investments. I don't listen to much rap at all and if I do, it's some of the older stuff from the 90's and 80's. I'm more of a punk person myself.

I don't agree with most of what was said by people in regards to the handling of that whole situation, not gonna get into specifics but I just disagree and don't think that officer deserved any sort of medal or commendation for it.

P.O. Hess was engaging an armed advesary, DJ henry was armed with a 2 ton vehicle and was using it as a weapon against officer Hess. PO Hess thankfully put down the threat but was severly injured in the process having his knee cap pushed up into his thigh.

P.O. Hess saved countless lives that night by putting himself in harms way instead of letting a highly intoxicated driver drive through a crowded parking lot. P.O. Hess acted heroically and selflessly. He is a hero in my book and is deserving of a lot more than a medal.

By all means, if you think that then go right ahead. I'm certainly not going to create an argument about what people should or shouldn't think. I'm just voicing my opinion and that is I strongly disagree with how things were handled and such. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. In my book, P.O. Hess is far from a hero.

By all means, if you think that then go right ahead. I'm certainly not going to create an argument about what people should or shouldn't think. I'm just voicing my opinion and that is I strongly disagree with how things were handled and such. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. In my book, P.O. Hess is far from a hero.

By saying Officer Hess is "far" from a hero you are implying (in the impersonal world of Internet chat) that he did something wrong.

So... Tell me sir, what would you do if someone ran you down and you were lucky enough to end up on the hood of the car and not under it and your sole means of neutralizing your life safety situation happened to be your firearm.......? Are you saying that you wouldn't pull the trigger?

Officer Hess is a hero because he chose a job that requires him to protect people like you and I every day. Officer Hess didn't jump on that car like Bo and Luke Duke but rather he was struck by the driver who was intoxicated and leaving the scene of an incident that Officer Hess was called to as part of his sworn duty to respond.

ptwatson, JohnnyOV, x129K and 6 others like this

By saying Officer Hess is "far" from a hero you are implying (in the impersonal world of Internet chat) that he did something wrong.

So... Tell me sir, what would you do if someone ran you down and you were lucky enough to end up on the hood of the car and not under it and your sole means of neutralizing your life safety situation happened to be your firearm.......? Are you saying that you wouldn't pull the trigger?

Officer Hess is a hero because he chose a job that requires him to protect people like you and I every day. Officer Hess didn't jump on that car like Bo and Luke Duke but rather he was struck by the driver who was intoxicated and leaving the scene of an incident that Officer Hess was called to as part of his sworn duty to respond.

Couldn't have said it better myself...

KelliPVAC likes this

I'm not going to get into it. I'm not looking for drama or an argument,people are entitled to their own opinions, I'm not trying to call out the people who agree with it for whatever reasons they may have. You have your reasons for agreeing and putting him on a pedastal and calling him a hero. I have my reasons for yanking him off said pedastal and not hailing him as a hero so I'm just going to leave it at that.

We gave our reasons now you give yours. You have made an unsolicited statement without offering any supporting information as to why you would make such a comment Real men do not offer opinions about others without giving a reasonable amount of supporting information to enlighten the audience as to how they reached their opinion.

So speak up or take your "I know things but I'm not going to tell you" attitude back to nursery school.

I'm not going to get into it. I'm not looking for drama or an argument,people are entitled to their own opinions, I'm not trying to call out the people who agree with it for whatever reasons they may have. You have your reasons for agreeing and putting him on a pedastal and calling him a hero. I have my reasons for yanking him off said pedastal and not hailing him as a hero so I'm just going to leave it at that.

Without the combative berating, what is your problem officer Hess and his actions?? Media hype and rapper bullshit aside in face to face conversations I've met people plenty critical of that night, but few willing to discuss it some place like this forum where you are absolutely facing an opposing mob. What should have happened that night?

How well do you know Officer Hess? I know Aaron well and he truly is a hero.

KelliPVAC likes this

Going by what your profile says, you are not a cop and in no way affiliated with law enforcement but yet you see fit to come on this site and talk trash about a cop who was almost killed by some punk scumbag intoxicated kid.

When you go to the doctor do you second guess his diagnosis ? When you go to the accountant, do you tell him he is doing your taxes wrong ? The answer is probably no to all of these questions so why do you think it's o.k. to second guess a veteran professional police officer with extensive training and experience ?

You do realize that after a multijurisdictional probe and an extensive one at that and after having all the facts presented to a grand jury, all the officers involved in this case were cleared of any wrong doing correct ?

Cops work 8 hours a day getting s*** from people who don't agree with what we do or how we do our jobs, the last thing I want to do is get out of work, come home and look at EMTbravo and have to see the same nonsense that I get at work

You allready created an argument. Now support your reasons as to why you disagree with how things were handled.

KelliPVAC likes this

You allready created an argument. Now support your reasons as to why you disagree with how things were handled.

I couldn't agree more! Yes, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But you have yet to share your opinion.

Then again Al Sharpton, couldn't say much either.

Pete you being a photographer really does not make you a emergency service person. As stated, please give some sort of argument. We all have opinions and some are good and some are bad but we back them up. I think that PO Hess did what he is paid and sworn to do. I am not happy that someone died, but in the big picture, DJ choose to put him self in this situation. There go his death is solely his own fault. Is that a very extreme point of view, yes it is but i believe it is true. You speak of Office Hess as if he was a bad person. What happen, he give you a ticket for not buckling up or something?

Now if I cna just keep my boy DMX out of prison long enough to make a record.........

Good Luck with that Dan! LMAO

1. @crime cop I'm not trash talking anyone or anything of that nature so choose your words wisely in the future and it seems as if all of you are trying to make a mountain out of a hill here. You're right, I'm not involved with law enforcement or fire or anything of the sort. I'm just a person with an interest in it and a photographer, what does that have to do with anything? Because I'm not, I'm not allowed to have an opinion on such a subject? Did you know Danroy Henry? Who are you to judge what he was? How do you know he was a punk scumbag kid? Last I checked, Pace University didn't just accept anyone/everyone. It's a tier 2 school which says something. Again, lack of thinking before speaking here.

2. How many of you were actually there that night? Unless you were, you're going based on speculation and judging someone without knowing them. How can you call him a punk or a scumbag or anything? For all you know he was a great kid with good grades who made a mistake and a situation got completely blown out of proportion.

3. What differed that night from any other night at any other bar that gets over crowded and isn't iding for underage people as they should? How many times does a bar like Paulies in P'ville get over crowded and have way more kids in there drinking that are underage than they should? The point being that why was that situation handled than anywhere else or was it? Based on what I heard and read, things got out of hand and spiraled in a negative direction.

4. @crimecop As far as a doctor and his diagnosis goes, it depends on what it is. I've had spinal surgery before, so yes I did second guess his diagnosis and yes I did go for a second opinion. I even for a 3rd and 4th opinion.

5. Yes, I'm aware that a multijurisdictional investigation was done. I am also aware that half of those investigations were done by the agencies that were involved so I don't necessarily agree with that part of it. I think it should have been outsourced right from the getgo.

6. @pfdres47cue I have nothing against P.O. Hess, I don't know him at all and wouldn't even know who he was if I fell over him. I'm sure he's a nice guy and a good asset to the force. However, I don't agree with anyone standing in front of a vehicle in a situation like that. To me, I would have officers on either side of the vehicle but not in front or behind. From what I understand, the kid was dead before the car sandwiched Hess. So when you shoot someone to kill in a moving vehicle with their foot on the gas pedal, do you expect the vehicle to magically stop so the officer or whomever can get out of the way? No. I just don't agree with the killing of a kid. Procedure or not, I think there were other alternatives. I know it's not like he had an eternity to weigh in on and think about his options but still.

7. I don't think he or anyone should deserve a medal for what was done. Especially so soon after and to publicize it. When you boil it down it's basically, congratulations you shot and killed someone so here's a medal for your actions, good job. I understand his life was on the line and it was on the line of duty but I don't think his life needed to be on the line. As I said earlier, I have nothing against him. I knew nothing of his existance until that incident and the details were released.

8. @mfc2257, I don't know that I would necessarily pull the trigger at the kid. If you can keep someone alive by not shooting them, would you? I would. I don't know that I wouldn't shoot the engine block and disable the vehicle that way while keeping the kid alive. I don't think anyone had to die that night. If you're a p.o. and you make a traffic stop with your partner, do either of you go to the front of the vehicle and stand there so the person can't get away? No. Do you or anyone honestly belive that this kid had to die? When you're in a traffic stop and someone takes off, do you automatically pull out your gun and try to shoot them or do you jump in your cruiser and chase/guide him and use a pit if possible?

9. I'm not siding with anyone on this. I don't think the parents/family should be continuing to sue everyone and their mother to get something out of it. It's time to let their son rest. No matter how hard they try and what they do, they can't bring him back.

10.@mfc2257 Why do you think that because I disagree with something, I automatically have an issue with that person? So when you disagree with something someone does or says, you automatically have an issue with them?

11. At the end of the day, what does some rap artist or any artist making reference to someone have any effect on you? Why should you care what they do? Who are you to tell them what they can and can't say? If you don't like the reference, don't listen to the song or artist. People coming on some emergency services forum and complaining about it to one another isn't going to make it go away or make the artist care. They don't know about any of this and I don't really think they care to.

12. I'm sorry that I'm not a bandwagoner on this subject. I quite often come on this site and read the forums and not very often do I see someone actually disagree. I guess I know why now, as soon as they do you have 10 people jumping down your throat. Bottom line is, you can all disagree with me and say what you want about my thoughts and reasoning. I don't really care, they're still my opinions and I'm still going to stick by them as you will yours. Now, this is the last I'm speaking of this subject so I'd suggest that whatever issues you may have with my thoughts and opinions, you keep to yourself as I couldn't care less about it.

Pete it looks like your basing your opinion based upon a slightly skewed timeline. Officer Hess was crossing the street when another officer was attempting to get Henry to move his car. I don't know why officer Hess didn't get out of the way. He froze, he didn't have time, he's a nut, it doesn't matter. Danroy had the responsibility to not strike officer Hess. I don't believe he intended to hit the officer, but whether it be fear, intoxication or just stupid he drove directly at the officer and continued driving after striking him. It was only after being struck by an out of control car that the officer opened fire.

As far as the investigation, that is standard practice. Larger departments handle the entire investigation in house. Pleasantville, due to its size utilized outside resources without the personal ties to the involved officers. Everything was above board as evidenced by the DOJs decision to decline involvement.

6. @pfdres47cue I have nothing against P.O. Hess, I don't know him at all and wouldn't even know who he was if I fell over him. I'm sure he's a nice guy and a good asset to the force. However, I don't agree with anyone standing in front of a vehicle in a situation like that. To me, I would have officers on either side of the vehicle but not in front or behind. From what I understand, the kid was dead before the car sandwiched Hess. So when you shoot someone to kill in a moving vehicle with their foot on the gas pedal, do you expect the vehicle to magically stop so the officer or whomever can get out of the way? No. I just don't agree with the killing of a kid. Procedure or not, I think there were other alternatives. I know it's not like he had an eternity to weigh in on and think about his options but still.

7. I don't think he or anyone should deserve a medal for what was done. Especially so soon after and to publicize it. When you boil it down it's basically, congratulations you shot and killed someone so here's a medal for your actions, good job. I understand his life was on the line and it was on the line of duty but I don't think his life needed to be on the line. As I said earlier, I have nothing against him. I knew nothing of his existance until that incident and the details were released.

8. @mfc2257, I don't know that I would necessarily pull the trigger at the kid. If you can keep someone alive by not shooting them, would you? I would. I don't know that I wouldn't shoot the engine block and disable the vehicle that way while keeping the kid alive. I don't think anyone had to die that night. If you're a p.o. and you make a traffic stop with your partner, do either of you go to the front of the vehicle and stand there so the person can't get away? No. Do you or anyone honestly belive that this kid had to die? When you're in a traffic stop and someone takes off, do you automatically pull out your gun and try to shoot them or do you jump in your cruiser and chase/guide him and use a pit if possible?

#6 - No one likes that a kid died...no one likes when anyone dies, but I sure as hell strongly support an Officer taking someone's life if they are a threat to the public or fellow Officers. I'd much rather a drunk kid who hits a P.O and will potential strike other P.O's and/or bystanders die then the brave men and women who wake up in the morning to patrol our town, villages, cities etc, and who put their lives in harms way to protect the residents.

#7 - Recognition or a medal was not given to P.O Hess to congratulate him for shooting and killing someone. Recognition was given for P.O. Hess ending a major threat to the public and his fellow P.O.'s. I am not a P.O. but IMHO I highly doubt that any P.O. wants to have to fatally injure someone. P.O.'s are sworn in to protect the public and as I said before they wake up in the morning to potentially have to put their lives on the line to protect people whom they do not personally know. If taking a life is necessary to ensure that the life taken did not potentially take other lives while operating a deadly weapon (car) while intoxicated, then that is what needed to be done.

#8 - Are you kidding me? You truly feel that the P.O's on scene should have jumped in their cars and started a pursuit (potentially a high speed pursuit) with a drunk inexperienced driver? First off, PPD and MPPD both have no pursuit policies (to the best of my knowledge, correct me if I am wrong). You clearly do not know the layout of the land surrounding where this incident took place. There is very little room for P.O.'s to perform a successful pit maneuver. If DJ Henry had gotten away and pursued, he could have gone in any of three directions. 1) Straight onto Garrigan Ave, leading him into a very dense residential area with only 90 degree turns with little time to slow down if traveling at high speeds. Chances are, DJ would have wrapped around a utility pole or went into a house, potentially killing himself and even worse killing others. 2) Left onto Broadway, leading him down towards a major four way intersection with two gas station located on opposite corners. Chances are, DJ would have crashed into one of these gas stations potentially causing one of the 6 gas pumps to explode, killing himself, pursuing P.O.'s and innocent civilians. 3) Right onto Broadway, leading him down a long stretch of road that is very inviting to high speeds but is very unforgiving of high speeds and is also lined on each side with houses. Chances are, DJ would have (like many others) run into a tree or utility pole at high speeds killing himself. If he for someone reason missed a tree or a utility pole, he would have most likely crashed into a house, potentially killing himself and innocent civilians. Allowed DJ to get away behind the wheel of a vehicle while drunk, would have most likely led to tragedy for not only himself but for innocent civilians and pursuing P.O.'s

I respect you decision and props for speaking your mind knowing that you would meet heavy opposition. Be good.

Edited by PFDRes47cue
billy98988 likes this

1. @crime cop I'm not trash talking anyone or anything of that nature so choose your words wisely in the future and it seems as if all of you are trying to make a mountain out of a hill here. You're right, I'm not involved with law enforcement or fire or anything of the sort. I'm just a person with an interest in it and a photographer, what does that have to do with anything? Because I'm not, I'm not allowed to have an opinion on such a subject? Did you know Danroy Henry? Who are you to judge what he was? How do you know he was a punk scumbag kid? Last I checked, Pace University didn't just accept anyone/everyone. It's a tier 2 school which says something. Again, lack of thinking before speaking here.

2. How many of you were actually there that night? Unless you were, you're going based on speculation and judging someone without knowing them. How can you call him a punk or a scumbag or anything? For all you know he was a great kid with good grades who made a mistake and a situation got completely blown out of proportion.

3. What differed that night from any other night at any other bar that gets over crowded and isn't iding for underage people as they should? How many times does a bar like Paulies in P'ville get over crowded and have way more kids in there drinking that are underage than they should? The point being that why was that situation handled than anywhere else or was it? Based on what I heard and read, things got out of hand and spiraled in a negative direction.

4. @crimecop As far as a doctor and his diagnosis goes, it depends on what it is. I've had spinal surgery before, so yes I did second guess his diagnosis and yes I did go for a second opinion. I even for a 3rd and 4th opinion.

5. Yes, I'm aware that a multijurisdictional investigation was done. I am also aware that half of those investigations were done by the agencies that were involved so I don't necessarily agree with that part of it. I think it should have been outsourced right from the getgo.

9. I'm not siding with anyone on this. I don't think the parents/family should be continuing to sue everyone and their mother to get something out of it. It's time to let their son rest. No matter how hard they try and what they do, they can't bring him back.

10.@mfc2257 Why do you think that because I disagree with something, I automatically have an issue with that person? So when you disagree with something someone does or says, you automatically have an issue with them?

11. At the end of the day, what does some rap artist or any artist making reference to someone have any effect on you? Why should you care what they do? Who are you to tell them what they can and can't say? If you don't like the reference, don't listen to the song or artist. People coming on some emergency services forum and complaining about it to one another isn't going to make it go away or make the artist care. They don't know about any of this and I don't really think they care to.

12. I'm sorry that I'm not a bandwagoner on this subject. I quite often come on this site and read the forums and not very often do I see someone actually disagree. I guess I know why now, as soon as they do you have 10 people jumping down your throat. Bottom line is, you can all disagree with me and say what you want about my thoughts and reasoning. I don't really care, they're still my opinions and I'm still going to stick by them as you will yours. Now, this is the last I'm speaking of this subject so I'd suggest that whatever issues you may have with my thoughts and opinions, you keep to yourself as I couldn't care less about it.

I don't give a s*** if dj henry was a rhodes scholar and he went to harvard, he tried to kill a cop, one of my brothers , and yes in my book that makes him a punk scumbag.

As far as pace goes, I've dealt with some of the worst lawyers in westchester who have graduated from pace, so pace doen't impress me.

No matter what the situation was in the bar that night, it doesn't change the fact that this kid was issued a lawful order by a police officer and instead of stopping, he refused the order and struck the police officer.

As far as the investigation goes, the DOJ monitered the entire thing and found nothing wrong with it, but i guess you know something they don't.

Shoot the engine block ? What are you dirty harry ? This suggestion shows your ignorance on all things law enforcement. You strike me as the type that thinks that because you watch cops and americas most wanted and you take a few pictures of police cars, that makes you knowledgeable... IT DOESN'T.....

You know nothing about traffic stops or who should be where or what the officers are feeling?

How many life or death situations have you been in? It seems like you shy away fom dangerous professions so I will say close to none so you have no clue how fast you have to make a decision and in this case it was a decision to use deadly force. Not only does PO Hess have to live with his decision for the rest of his life, he has to deal with people like you monday morning quarterbacking what he did. It's easy to second guess from the safety of your den or your living room isn't it ?

AS I reread your post to make sure I covered all of the points you tried to make, it seems that you have some type of blinders on to the truth and seem to have out your own twists to the story. You say he was already dead before he struck PO Hess, where did you get that from ? I never once heard that version of the story.

You are just an angry person with an axe to grind against law enforcement. I wonder if dj henry had God forbid struck and killed someone in your family while he was driving highly intoxicated back to the pace campus how much different you would feel.

#1 - DJ Henry was called a punk, scumbag kid because he ignored a lawful order from a uniformed police officer, chose to flee the police in a motor vehicle, and then attempted to run down another police officer with his vehicle... if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and sounds like a duck, then guess what.... it's a duck.

#2 - Knowingly getting behind the wheel of a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol, then knowingly ignoring a lawful order from a uniformed police officer, then attempting to run over a second uniformed police officer while attempting to flee is not a damn mistake. You make it sound like this kid accidentally rear ended a patrol car in the parking lot cause he was busy sexting some piece of a** he got the night before. This kid is responsible for his own actions. It's his actions that started the chain of events that lead to his death, and one one elses.

#3 - What differed that night is that this kid, while intoxicated, attempted to flee the police and could have killed a police officer with his vehicle had the officer not responded with deadly physical force to stop the threat to his own life. Not exactly a nightly occurrence at any bar, irregardless if there's underage drinking or not.

#6 - Officers on either side of the vehicle? An officer approached the vehicle from the side, just as you wanted, and what did Henry do? He drove off in an attempt to flee the scene. Did you want the officers to run alongside his vehicle? Or how about we just let this intoxicated, irrational, and clearly dangerous individual drive out of the parking lot onto the public roadway, where he can kill some innocent person just driving home from work. Shoot someone to kill? Officer Hess discharged his firearm to stop the threat in compliance with the NYS Criminal Procedure Law. Officer Hess was presented with an individual using his vehicle as a weapon in an attempt to flee police, and in doing so posed an immediate threat of causing PO Hess serious physical injury and/or death, and PO Hess utilized the appropriate level of force to meet what DJ Henry brought to the table. You sit there and say, "I know its not like he had an eternity"... until you enter that fight or flight response, have had to make a split second, life or death decision, where you are reaching down to your most primal instincts to survive, you sir have no right to monday morning quarterback PO Hess's actions that night.

#8 - You think that just because you watch COPS, CSI, Law and Order, and all of these other garbage shows on TV that you are some kind of police tactics expert? You're right, no one had to die that night, DJ Henry made that decision when instead of following the directions of multiple uniformed police officers he chose to get behind the wheel while intoxicated. He chose to drive off and flee a police officer. He chose to drive into, and attempt to run over, another uniformed police officer. You keep calling everyone elses actions that night inappropriate, and you call DJ Henry's actions "a mistake". Give us a damn break, will you. I mean really, how ridiculous does that sound? He precipitated every single thing that happened that night, but he's the good kid who made a mistake and every one else that night was just a bunch of trigger happy pigs. I can tell you one thing for sure; you stated that you don't know if you would have pulled the trigger that night; I can tell you if you were a cop faced with that same situation, I'd have the unpleasant experience of having to go to your funeral then, plain and simple, and police funerals are the one thing that no cop ever wants to go to. You also stated, "keep someone alive by not shooting them." Absolutely, but not if that individual is trying to kill me. If someone is actively trying to kill me, I'm going to shoot them to stop them from killing me, that's just the way it is. I'm going home at the end of the night to my family, period, and at that point I'm only concerned with surviving, not find a nice touchy feely way to end the threat on my life just so the perpetrator can live. Shoot the engine block? Are you aware that handgun ammunition will not pass through an engine block, so good luck with that one Seagal. The military uses .50 caliber rifles to disable engine blocks on vehicles, you think a handgun bullet is going to disable a vehicle? Oh that's right, Steven Seagal and Bruce Willis do it all the time in the movies, so it must be true. Do you know how many police officers are killed or seriously injured every year in vehicle pursuits? Yes, lets engage a highly intoxicated individual in a vehicle pursuit because that doesn't have a high probability of ending in disaster. I can't help but laugh how you have the audacity to sit there behind your little computer screen and talk about police tactics and how the incident should have been handled. I say until you vest up and get out there and do the job, leave the tactics discussions to those of us who are actually out there doing the work, because the fantasy land of how you believe being a cop is based on some junk you watched on TV last night is typical for arm chair experts who mother f**ks the cops any chance they get until the day the wolf comes knocking at your door.

Edited by JJB531

As stated by peterose313 - "2. How many of you were actually there that night? Unless you were, you're going based on speculation and judging someone without knowing them. How can you call him a punk or a scumbag or anything? For all you know he was a great kid with good grades who made a mistake and a situation got completely blown out of proportion.

Yes I was there! As were a few others on this site.

I do not care what his grades were, he could be an A student for all I care. A mistake???? What happened that night was more than a mistake on his part. You say it was a situation that was blown out of proprtion.....you have no idea what that night was like.

Even if I was not there that night....i would still feel the same way!

Edited by KelliPVAC
Just a guy likes this

LoHud

The 20-year-old was killed by police Officer Aaron Hess as Henry drove from a parking lot outside a Thornwood bar. Henry's family and supporters have scrutinized the blood-alcohol test results and accused Hess, a white officer, of killing the black student.

Terrible wording in this article. It is amazing that the press continues to get the story wrong. He did not drive out of the lot...he drove at a LEO in the lot.

KelliPVAC and Just a guy like this