Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firedude

Pound Ridge Fire.. From the Air

13 posts in this topic

Today, on my approach to HPN, I saw a plume of smoke coming from northern westchester. I originally thought it was a brush fire but when I saw the IA for Pound Ridge, I knew that was it. This Photo was takken about 10 minutes after first dispatch. The actual fire was just on the other side of the rigde. At this point of my flight, I couldn't of gotten closer. Anyways, these are the photos I got...

6033465355_e08dd0784e_z.jpg

6034022210_f14b051a6a_z.jpg

6033465205_a745213d80_z.jpg

6034022528_1761967807_z.jpg

WOW! Talk about right place at the right time!

The Putnam County 911 Center got a call from Danbury Fire just after the call was dispatched. A plane called the Danbury Airport reporting a heavy concentration of smoke southwest of the airport and they were checking to see if anything was on fire in Putnam

x129K and firedude like this

Awesome shots, not something you see everyday from the air like that. Nice timing for a flight.

That would have been cool if you could have gotten closer. Were you low on fuel or time? Maybe next time. :)

Thanks guys!

Were you low on fuel or time?

Yes and Yes. When Obama comes to NYC (like yesturday), the entire airspace is shut down, with only some exceptions. I needed to land before the airspae closed. Also, at this point in my flight, I was already given strict instructions on how to approach and land at the field. Maybe next time...

Edited by firedude

Thanks guys. I guess I was at the right place at the right time B) .