Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Anesti

Older NYPD Vehicles

68 posts in this topic

H.E.L.P... anyone know what that acronym was for? Harlem Eastside Lifesaving Program? Wasn't there a show on NBC about that?

Nice shots, Anesti. I remember seeing all of those vehicles. Nice shot of the Air Bag truck, too. Thanks!

High Intensity Lighting Program. I'm 98% sure of the meaning even if the "E" doesn't stand for intensity. Sounds better then HILP I guess.

Smaller Esu truck, by the looks of it i think these were shot in fron of the Repair Facility in Queens.

post-18231-0-31184700-1317340330.jpg

sfrd18 likes this

Truck 10 a Ford/Saulsbury. I know ive been posting mostly Esu stuff, there is other stuff i will eventually get too.

post-18231-0-46573100-1317340401.jpg

sfrd18 likes this

Any photos of patrol cars from that era?

I remember seeing that Airbag unit on "COPS".

And I think that Truck 3 (the Freightliner/Saulsbury) went to Mount Vernon PD, and the smaller Ford REP's went to New Rochelle PD.

Any photos of patrol cars from that era?

I remember seeing that Airbag unit on "COPS".

And I think that Truck 3 (the Freightliner/Saulsbury) went to Mount Vernon PD, and the smaller Ford REP's went to New Rochelle PD.

Yes there are seth ill change it up and post some of those tommorow.

Once again, all WILLY D's work! Thanks for posting Anesti.

Hi George, "efdcapt", good to hear from you. Yeah, I sent a disk to "Anesti", who is also a friend of mine, and asked him to post these for me. And as we see he's done a great job.

As somebody mentioned earlier, several of these NYPD photos were taken on 58th St in Queens at the NYPD Shops. I would make it a quick routine stop on my FDNY buffing trips.

Sorry, George, I'm way overdue. I'll give you a call soon.

Last one for tonight, tommorow ill post stuff from Bomb Squad, Aviation,and marine divisions

post-18231-0-73779900-1317690021.jpg

Cant Make out the unit but looks like QMS

I remember whan i got hired at Empress, Yonkers ESU used one of these and the 2 OBS Suburbans.

Good stuff here.

I didn't realize the NYPD had white cars in the 80's and early 90's. Very good finds

I didn't realize the NYPD had white cars in the 80's and early 90's. Very good finds

Im not 100% sure but i think the white cars were more mid 90's

The white cars came in 1996, some earlier ones may have been repainted after getting body work done. Here is an article in the NY Daily News . Also an article explaining how the black, green and white cars RMPs came about, which ended in 1973 with the switch to blue and white. Hemmings Motor News. NYPD Green

MTD = Mounted

QMS = Quarter Master

also no 135 Pct, might be the 105 in Queens.

When I got hired in 1998, there were still a bunch of the Caprices rolling around. Great Car, lots of room inside, great acceleration, handled pretty good to. One thing from that era always amuses me is how the cars were marked. Some have "NYPD", "NYPD POLICE" NYCPD" and IIRC NYCPD Police"

Edited by grumpyff

One thing from that era always amuses me is how the cars were marked. Some have "NYPD", "NYPD POLICE" NYCPD" and IIRC NYCPD Police"

You know, I always noticed that and thought I was just crazy.