Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x129K

White Plains Ambulance Moved At Scene By Civilian

55 posts in this topic

I give the Officer credit for using such great restraint in letting her know she had no right to move the ambulance, then going back up to help the crew with the patient, then having to deal with her when she followed him back up the stairs to the EMS scene. She was pushing the limits on all counts at that point, and he had enough to deal with at that moment without having to provde names to her. She absolutely deserved to be arrested when she showed up at the police station by the time the Officer got back, because she was obviously lying when she said she was late for work when she moved the ambulance - too bad they cannot tack on extra charges for being an arrogant jerk/doofus/fill-in-the-blank.

helicopper and x129K like this

If the rig was locked she would have found another way, whether it be ramming it with the patrol car or her own car. Teach her a lessson, the world does not revolve her.

And could the Police Officer just have moved the ambulance out of the way? I don't know what type of call it was or what type of situation, but if the Officer took 1 minute to move the ambulance, or secured it after the initial event, couldn't this have been avoided?

According to the Lohud article, so take it for what its worth, the officer ran downstairs after hearing the reverse alarm so the woman had already moved the ambulance.

This could have been avoided if there was adequate parking for a police car and ambulance but how often in cities like White Plains do you have to double park or park in a driveway because there is no other space available? Should the crew have circled the block until a legal parking became available? Really, this is all due to one woman's impatience and arrogance.

JM15 and ptwatson like this

What makes you think that the PD has the right to move the ambulance. I can just see if for some reason the PO hit something. Do you mean DWI Interlock devices? That would seem pretty idiotic if you ask me.

Maybe if the driver of the ambulance positioned it as to not inconvience others on the road this wouldn't be an issue!

I can tell you this, anyone other than myself or another LEO from either my job or another job moved my patrol car they would be in handcuffs as well!

Seriously dude, you're going to tell me that you never moved another emergency vehicle or had one moved for you? And if someone was trying to do the right thing and help you out by moving a police car you'd collar them? Nice.

And I can't believe you're actually suggesting that the driver of the ambulance positioned the vehicle to "inconvenience" others on the road. See my other comment about urban parking problems but more to the point is the EMT did what he/she had to do and was completely justified. Should they really have gone hunting for a parking space?

Remember this little pearl from COP101?

§ 1104. Authorized emergency vehicles. (a) The driver of an authorized emergency vehicle, when involved in an emergency operation, may exercise

the privileges set forth in this section, but subject to the conditions herein stated.

(B) The driver of an authorized emergency vehicle may:

1. Stop, stand or park irrespective of the provisions of this title;

Does it occur to you that if the woman had just heeded the officer's admonition about not moving the ambulance and went to work, none of this would have happened? Instead she interfered with them on the scene and had the temerity to go to the PD to make a complaint. Clearly she didn't get the point so to reinforce that point now she'll find out how the judicial system works. It's not the EMT's fault that this woman talked herself right into handcuffs.

I agree, the woman was 100% wrong for entering and moving an emergency vehicle, and then downright selfish for being further late for work to complain about the officers and techs. HOWEVER, let's all remember we're all off duty at some point or another. Even though someone's life/emergency should take priority, can we all honestly say that we wouldn't be a little ticked if we couldn't get to work?? My point is this, yes we can and should park where we need to and do what we need to do for the safety of our patients but if we can do it with a little courtesy so as not inconvience the rest of the world, lets do it. I am in NO WAY saying jeapordize patient care, but the emergency services world is not black and white, there is room to play. There is no reason to the abuse the priveledges we have when there is alternative that works for everyone. IE if you can pull over a little and not block the road when you're responding to a residence, do it. If you are blocking someone and you, a boss or colleague can move the truck if someone needs to get out, do it. If you can shut off your truck in the nice weather while your sitting on a residential street or by a home, do it. A little courtesy goes a long way!!

Edited by nycemt728
helicopper likes this

Wow, that's a harsh perspective. The law doesn't allow for applying responsibility to the victim of a crime. The days of prosecuting a sex crime victim because of their attire are over and if I choose to leave my car parked with the door unlocked, you can't "blame" me for a criminal's action.

I understand your point about responsibility but that's not the same as culpability. It may be irresponsible to leave your wallet sticking out of your pocket but it doesn't give anyone the right to take it.

You're right, culpability is the wrong word. I never said she shouldn't be arrested for what she did. She still committed the crime. My point is as the victims you need to be aware of the risks you're taking. Don't go jogging at night alone in morningside park. Just because you're dumb enough to do it, does not excuse any crime committed against you. But you're still an idiot.

What makes you think that the PD has the right to move the ambulance. I can just see if for some reason the PO hit something. Do you mean DWI Interlock devices? That would seem pretty idiotic if you ask me.

Maybe if the driver of the ambulance positioned it as to not inconvience others on the road this wouldn't be an issue!

I can tell you this, anyone other than myself or another LEO from either my job or another job moved my patrol car they would be in handcuffs as well!

Not to get too far off subject, but, what then, gives an LEO the right to shut off, lock a vehicle and retain the keys to said vehicle if you leave it running and "unattended"?

Seriously dude, you're going to tell me that you never moved another emergency vehicle or had one moved for you? And if someone was trying to do the right thing and help you out by moving a police car you'd collar them? Nice.

And I can't believe you're actually suggesting that the driver of the ambulance positioned the vehicle to "inconvenience" others on the road. See my other comment about urban parking problems but more to the point is the EMT did what he/she had to do and was completely justified. Should they really have gone hunting for a parking space?

Remember this little pearl from COP101?

Does it occur to you that if the woman had just heeded the officer's admonition about not moving the ambulance and went to work, none of this would have happened? Instead she interfered with them on the scene and had the temerity to go to the PD to make a complaint. Clearly she didn't get the point so to reinforce that point now she'll find out how the judicial system works. It's not the EMT's fault that this woman talked herself right into handcuffs.

If any of you think that I agree with this woman, you are totally wrong! The point I was trying to make is that 1, maybe the ambulance crew could have positoned the ambulance in a better spot. I don't think they parked it to inconvience the public, but it did. 2, maybe this PO didn't know that he could move the amb or he could have asked the crew if he could move it. I wasn't there so that could have been suggested when this woman just decided to move it on her own. As for moving my veh, as I posted before, if it was someone on my job or another PD Agency, I would not have a problem with it. It has happened where a VFD member moved a PD Veh and the VFD member came very close to being arrested.

Not to get too far off subject, but, what then, gives an LEO the right to shut off, lock a vehicle and retain the keys to said vehicle if you leave it running and "unattended"?

I just issue you a ticket if I felt it was necessary!

If you leave your vehicle running and unattended you're violating the law so the officer is protecting you and himself by securing the keys for said vehicle.

§ 1210. Unattended motor vehicle. (a) No person driving or in charge

of a motor vehicle shall permit it to stand unattended without first

stopping the engine, locking the ignition, removing the key from the

vehicle, and effectively setting the brake thereon and, when standing

upon any grade, turning the front wheels to the curb or side of the

highway, provided, however, the provision for removing the key from the

vehicle shall not require the removal of keys hidden from sight about

the vehicle for convenience or emergency.

It has happened where a VFD member moved a PD Veh and the VFD member came very close to being arrested.

Obviously there is a difference if the RMP needs to be moved, the Officer is tied up doing something, the FD guy asks for permission and the cop grants it, and the Fd guy just getting in and moving it without permission. I'm guessing the latter of the two occurred, which I could see your thought process of almost arresting the guy stemming from.

Obviously there is a difference if the RMP needs to be moved, the Officer is tied up doing something, the FD guy asks for permission and the cop grants it, and the Fd guy just getting in and moving it without permission. I'm guessing the latter of the two occurred, which I could see your thought process of almost arresting the guy stemming from.

It wasn't my call, but you got the point!

what an idiot im glad she got arrested....she just had to move the ambulance,people are so impatient now a days

Don't forget some year back a guy stole a Mt Vernon ladder truck from a working fire! His defense was that they had not positioned it correctly. Turned out he set the fire.

Don't forget some year back a guy stole a Mt Vernon ladder truck from a working fire! His defense was that they had not positioned it correctly. Turned out he set the fire.

Good defense, since he knew where the seat of the fire was, he did no the best positioning...lol :D

x129K and INIT915 like this

I guess she couldn't have been too concerned about being late if she took a detour to the PD to file the complaint. Good for the officer. Now I hope they actually prosecute her.

A quick story that I can now tell because the captain that this happened to is long retired. After weeks of coming to roll call and giving roll call training about securing your R/C at a scene or on a traffic stop one afternoon this captain is in an unmarked yet very "police" looking impala on a traffic stop in front of FD headquarters on new school street. There happened to be a gentleman walking by the R/C who in his drug induced haze couldn't see that it had strobes flashing and a uniformed officer standing only a few feet away. This fine citizen proceeded to get in the car and start to drive away.

On the radio you hear the victim captain advising headquarters that "someone just stole my radio car." The offender now realizing what he was hearing on the radio in the car was refering to him, abruptly stopped the car and began to run south on palisade avenue toward getty square. I was in uniform in those day so upon hearing the radio transmission, the 5 of us that were standing under the clock in getty square began to run north on palisade Avenue and lo and behold the suspect then ran into a wall of blue.

It was not a good day for the perp but it turned out to be a good day for the cops, except the captain who should have taken a little of his own roll call training advice.

Edited by crime cop
CFFD117, efdcapt115, x129K and 1 other like this

If you leave your vehicle running and unattended you're violating the law so the officer is protecting you and himself by securing the keys for said vehicle.

That answers my question. Thank you.

I was a civilian employee of a PD for 3 years before I got on the FD. Driving the "RMP"'s a term I learned here, not at the PD I worked at. They were simply called sector cars, and oh boy did I have the run of the fleet.

They got me a carry permit, and I bought a S&W 686 from Seth's father I think in 4 corners, the gun dealer am I right Seth?

Now I got a 4" barrel 357 in a 9m holster on my body, it literally went from my belt to just under my armpit.

Oh jolly gee......I had to collect them parking meters back then.......I was packin' baby....

I got to know "that feeling" of being behind the blue glass of a patrol car, very well.

They used to call them Sectors 41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48...the chief was 40.....all until Michael Frey died.....

Then they all become 51,52, etc no more 43 or 53, that number was retired......

As a civilian, I drove a lot of police cars....the chief and his staff were old school, that's how I carried...that's how we rolled boyyy...

I have no idea how this ties in except to say imho arrest that woman, how dare you touch the wheel of that emergency vehicle...without authorization!

And some very funny memories thanks.

Just a guy likes this

I agree, the woman was 100% wrong for entering and moving an emergency vehicle, and then downright selfish for being further late for work to complain about the officers and techs. HOWEVER, let's all remember we're all off duty at some point or another. Even though someone's life/emergency should take priority, can we all honestly say that we wouldn't be a little ticked if we couldn't get to work?? My point is this, yes we can and should park where we need to and do what we need to do for the safety of our patients but if we can do it with a little courtesy so as not inconvience the rest of the world, lets do it. I am in NO WAY saying jeapordize patient care, but the emergency services world is not black and white, there is room to play. There is no reason to the abuse the priveledges we have when there is alternative that works for everyone. IE if you can pull over a little and not block the road when you're responding to a residence, do it. If you are blocking someone and you, a boss or colleague can move the truck if someone needs to get out, do it. If you can shut off your truck in the nice weather while your sitting on a residential street or by a home, do it. A little courtesy goes a long way!!

Stop making excuses for her. It's not an ice-cream truck. She should have been locked up from jump.

Stop making excuses for her. It's not an ice-cream truck. She should have been locked up from jump.

I personally don't think anyone should move anyone else vehicle without permission, especially one w/ lights and sirens. That being said, clearly you need to read what I said again. All I said is that no one wants to be late for work and that most people, including myself would not be happy about the situation. I didn't excuse her behaivor one bit. I'm sorry if you clearly don't have to punch in on time like the rest of us, must be nice! I concluded my post by saying we all as human beings and especially as public servants should try to do our jobs with courtesy and respect for the communities we serve instead of getting tunnel vision b/c we happen to be on an emergency, do you disagree with that too?

This whole story is rediculous. This woman deserves everything she got. Lets see how we can go with this....going by the information above....

First... She should have never entered/moved the vehicle! Period! Would she have moved the police car if it was in the way? I DOUBT IT.

Second... We spoke of fire apparatus/beer trucks/police cars/ambulances.. Where do we park? So know we have to be more convenient for the public when we park? You tell the fire to stop for a moment while we move the command post or the water sourse or arial truck or LDH or landing site or ambulance or SWAT van so Joe Smoe can move his car.

Third... How often do we keep the vehicles running? If we are worried about idleing the trucks maybe we should work on shortening our on scene time.

Fourth... It is a big differance between one of us moving a car and Mr/Mrs. Joe Public. Im sure most of US have moved a vehicle (with permission from the operator).

Fifth... The public needs to take a breathe. Im sure if they had asked the responders..instead of just jumping in..beeping the horn.. and backing out.. they would have moved the rig if possible. Im sure if this was a Cardiac Arrest they would not be staying on scene long?

That is my Rant.. Thank you

Be safe

Just a guy likes this

I personally don't think anyone should move anyone else vehicle without permission, especially one w/ lights and sirens. That being said, clearly you need to read what I said again. All I said is that no one wants to be late for work and that most people, including myself would not be happy about the situation. I didn't excuse her behaivor one bit. I'm sorry if you clearly don't have to punch in on time like the rest of us, must be nice! I concluded my post by saying we all as human beings and especially as public servants should try to do our jobs with courtesy and respect for the communities we serve instead of getting tunnel vision b/c we happen to be on an emergency, do you disagree with that too?

Of course I have to be to work on time. We all do. Maybe she should have given it a minute or two. Work long enough in this profession and you will see. The public has zero patience. The balls on someone to think they could just move the ambulance. I'm FD and more upset than you.