Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
grumpyff

FDNY Engine 158 backs up NYPD

17 posts in this topic

Just saw this article in the NY Post, http://m.nypost.com/;s=qVpxiLsb__qTiqftAmOF914/p/news/local/bravest_gush_hour_VklxrQTpx6GyHTduvnhSWK NYPD responding to a call were outnumbered and being attacked by an unruly mob when the crew from Eng 158 used their deck gun to get the crowd to back up. I dont work in Staten Island, but want to extend a thank you. Unfortunately more and more PD units are running short handed, leading to long response times and less back up. My district in the Bronx routinely turns out 1 sector car per tour, and when it hits,the fan, back up seemed like it took for ever, now it does

M' Ave, x635, BFD1054 and 6 others like this

Just saw this article in the NY Post, http://m.nypost.com/;s=qVpxiLsb__qTiqftAmOF914/p/news/local/bravest_gush_hour_VklxrQTpx6GyHTduvnhSWK NYPD responding to a call were outnumbered and being attacked by an unruly mob when the crew from Eng 158 used their deck gun to get the crowd to back up. I dont work in Staten Island, but want to extend a thank you. Unfortunately more and more PD units are running short handed, leading to long response times and less back up. My district in the Bronx routinely turns out 1 sector car per tour, and when it hits,the fan, back up seemed like it took for ever, now it does

Nice job by the Firefighters at 158 Engine ... I hope the Police Officers who were attacked are okay ... It remains to be seen what the locals will do to retaliate against the F.D.N.Y ...

Talk about being at the right place at the right time with the camera. My prayers are with the police officers if they got injured during the attack, sounds like a vicious group of civilians.

Nice job by the Firefighters at 158 Engine ... I hope the Police Officers who were attacked are okay ... It remains to be seen what the locals will do to retaliate against the F.D.N.Y ...

hopefully nothing does happen to the FDNY. would be a shame to see if something did happen. but of course NYC will have those "hippies" saying that it was assualt. then u will have those that will say good for the fire department protecting the police officers who were in trouble.

good job by E158, hopefully the NYPD officers are ok...

FFBlaser likes this

I find it unlikely that the FDNY will get attacked for helping the NYPD. Most people generally respect the FDNY, so I can't imagine something like that happening, but as MoFire390 said, it would be a shame if it did.

Great job guys in helping out New York's Finest.

Edited by sfrd18
MoFire390 and M' Ave like this

And who says cops and firemen cant place nice together and get along :P ?

All kidding aside, i hope that the injured MOS has a speedy recovery. Also hope that charges on these punks stick!

A tip of the hat to the members of Engine Company 158.

Edited by BFD1054

I find it unlikely that the FDNY will get attacked for helping the NYPD. Most people generally respect the FDNY, so I can't imagine something like that happening, but as MoFire390 said, it would be a shame if it did.

Great job guys in helping out New York's Finest.

You've obviously never worked in the Bronx. Catching airmail was a routine occurrence in certain sections of the boro. Richmond Towers in particular comes to mind. I've seen everything from chicken bones to toilets dropped on the rigs or thrown at members.

That being said, outstanding job from the boys at 158 Engine. These guys should be commended for having the balls to act and do what they did. Just goes to show that when it matters most we're all on the same side.

BFD1054 likes this

but of course NYC will have those "hippies" saying that it was assualt.

By the looks of that picture, those are thugs, not hippies.

BFD1054 likes this

the really sad thing is, these idiots will probably sue the FDNY and get thousands...

BFD1054 likes this

You've obviously never worked in the Bronx. Catching airmail was a routine occurrence in certain sections of the boro. Richmond Towers in particular comes to mind. I've seen everything from chicken bones to toilets dropped on the rigs or thrown at members.

I was talking about firefighters getting attacked for helping out the cops, not just because they were in "trouble spots", like what happened back in the War Years and still to this day in some dangerous necks of the woods. While it's true that not everybody in the city respects the FDNY, I would think that criminals for the most part wouldn't be as hostile towards the presence of the fire department as they would be towards the presence of the police department.

Just my two cents.

By the looks of that picture, those are thugs, not hippies.

was talking about the residents in NYC that woud be defending those thungs getting sprayed with the deck gun. u know the ones that in the 60's and 70's that burned their bras in the streets because they wanted to be rebels.

Our rig got hit with a glass bottle from a rooftop not too long ago. Plenty of people out there with a bone to pick with us.

The comments by these thugs on the news stated to range from 13 to 31 where comical. Their lawyer was upset they got hit with water for "pointing a BB Gun at the cops" maybe it should have been bullets instead. Then they cried that the water was too hot, too cold, too wet -- I was waiting for Goldie Locks to appear next. They uses water cannons in Europe all the time very effectively and they are a much less lethal route than bullets and pepper spray. Maybe they will think twice next time before they decide to riot.

Kudos for Engine 158 for having the pair to act when needed.

BFD1054 likes this

They pointed a BB gun at the cops! They are lucky they didnt get shot and only got hit with water.

I've been bailed out by a passing company. 5 guys with axes and haligans is an intimidating and personally appreciated presence. There was also 90/41 making the papers recently for grabbing a chain snatcher.

There was a story I heard once from gentleman from Onondaga County, NY that was teaching my ICS300 class this time last year, Chris might know the story and gentleman better than I do.

One night this gentleman, who was a deputy with the OCSO and also a chief of his local fire department got a call from his dispatcher telling him that an officer in his district had just called for back up and was being assaulted at a local bar, could he come in a provide back up. Obviously this person said yes, but then he told the dispatcher to dispatch his fire department to the scene and then he told the dispatcher to tell the department to use their siren the entire way from the station to the scene, as would the chief. He said he wanted his guys to sound like cops and then look intimidates with axes, haligans and roof hooks as they got near and to the scene. From what I am told, it worked and the officer recovered, however he told us this story to remind us that we are all on the same side and that you never know when you are going to need back up. We all may wear different uniforms and perform different tasks, but when in your uniform, your best friend is another person in uniform.

Edited by SRS131EMTFF

in a truthfulness i find this extremly funny that they opened up the master stream on them