Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hudson144

Wearing of the Uniform/Turnout Gear

12 posts in this topic

Just wondering how Departments regulate and rule on the wearing of the uniform, Grooming standards,wearing of badges,safety concerns, actions while wearing the uniform, etc. The FD is suppose to be a para-military organization and was curious what various rules are in place to keep that "Professional Look or Image"?

Just wondering how Departments regulate and rule on the wearing of the uniform, Grooming standards,wearing of badges,safety concerns, actions while wearing the uniform, etc. The FD is suppose to be a para-military organization and was curious what various rules are in place to keep that "Professional Look or Image"?

We have a fairly lengthy Uniform Standard for career personnel. What can be worn when, how it shall be worn, what collar brass, badges, etc down to the item order numbers. Grooming and actions while in uniform are in the rules and regs. Most of the stuff hasn't been reviewed or updated for many years, with the exception of the uniform policy, which is kept current. Call division (POC's) personnel must meet the R+R's but are not issued uniforms, though are required to wear them to the standard if they buy their own.

We also have a fairly lengthy S.O.G. for our uniform standards covering Class A, B C & D standards as well as what our turnout gear shall consist of. Grooming standards are included in this as well including hair length, shaving, side burn length, earnings (none for men, women can wear one set of studs) and other jewelry.

Edited by IzzyEng4

Ours is in Rules and Regs. Mine are up in the attic, Hudson, and I don't feel like looking for them right now, but they are more or less the standard, run of the mill regulations. If you need more info, I guess that if you ask me nicely I will go look. (That's in return for a hot dog in the future).

Also the word "UNIFORM" means everyone is dressed exacttly the same way.

If it was important, like a medal day or promotion or something else where you should look your best, I would get a haircut too. I wouldn't want the CHIEF telling me I could use a haircut...how 'bout you?

And on a side note, whether you are in Uniform or Not, what you say and do can hurt you. You are no longer John Q. Citizen. You are now Firefighter So & So, and represent that dept. You are held to higher standards than most citizens.

So In or Out of Uniform, you need to represent your dept well. Don't drag the other members through the mud if "YOU" happen to feel like making a FOOL of Yourself.

BFD1054 likes this

I think a Chief at a LODD Funeral for one of his own men could - at the very least - take the @#%&* bluetooth out of his ear! Perhaps spend a minute fixing the snake on your hat too...

Unreal.

:angry:

Edited by jack10562
x129K, FF398, Danger and 6 others like this

Standards, what are Standards? If nobody cares about having Standards to get on the Job how can you have dress code standards. You get what you pay for, why is it such a surprise to everyone. I know one thing if the Mayor of the Vern ever heard the numerous comments about Chief "Bluetoooth" even from ordinary citizens, I'm sure he'd probably be second guessing his choice for Chief.

x129K likes this

Nothing worse than a guy wearing sunglasses, if it was part of the uniform it would be issued.

That is one of my biggest pet peeves! Sunglasses are NOT part of a dress uniform!

Nothing worse than a guy wearing sunglasses, if it was part of the uniform it would be issued.

The only part of our uniform that is issued is the officers hardware. We are required to buy the uniform, bell cap, blouse, coat, shoes, belt, tie. Not cheap.

That is one of my biggest pet peeves! Sunglasses are NOT part of a dress uniform!

So you have read every departments policies and know what is part of their dress uniform?

Here in Virginia the guys wear sunglesses ALL the time. I was a little taken aback when I saw pictures of them doing an extrication with sunglasses as their only eye protection. I found out that they have Approved Joe Cool Safety Sunglasses.

The only reason to wear glasses is if you need them. They say the eyes are the window to the soul, and it is true, when you are standing in line and the family drives by and sees the solemn look on your face and in your eyes they know you share in their pain. I think every Cop should be issued them so you can observe in a vehicle while doing a traffic stop so you don't need to keep your eyes trained on the driver and be forced to miss the other occupants and their actions.