Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Yonkers Names New Fire Commisioner

13 posts in this topic

Decorated veteran George Kielb named Yonkers fire commissioner

YONKERS — A decorated 32-year veteran of the city Fire Department and former officers’ union head has been named Yonkers fire commissioner.

http://www.lohud.com/article/20111214/NEWS02/312140011/Kielb-named-by-Spano-Yonkers-fire-commissioner

Yonkers mayor-elect names new fire commissioner

(12/14/11) YONKERS - For the first time in 10 years, the Yonkers fire department will have a new leader.

Mayor-elect Mike Spano has named George Kielb as the city's new fire commissioner. Keilb is Spano's second official appointment since winning the mayor's race.

Keilb, a 32-year veteran of the department, began his career in 1979. In 1999, he'd was named the acting deputy commissioner after a series of awards and a heroic rescue of a fellow firefighter.

Chief William Fitzpatrick, who climbed the ranks with Kielb, was also strongly considered by Spano to replace retiring commissioner Tony Pagano. Outgoing commissioner Pagano said Kielb was a good pick and wished him luck in the department.

The city council must now vote on the appointment.

(WONDER WHY CHIEF FITZPATRICK WHO I UNDERSTAND IS THE HIGHEST RANKING OFFICER IN THE YFD AND CHIEF OF OPERATIONS WAS NOT CHOSEN)

(WONDER WHY CHIEF FITZPATRICK WHO I UNDERSTAND IS THE HIGHEST RANKING OFFICER IN THE YFD AND CHIEF OF OPERATIONS WAS NOT CHOSEN)

The job of a high ranking uniformed officer is very different from that of Commissioner. Perhaps the Chief didn't want the job. I know nothing of the situation, I'm just throwing it out there.

The commissioner is a politician, not a fire officer. Those two positions have very different responsibilities and may very well draw the interest of different people.

Maybe he's good at what he currently does, and they don't want to replace him at his current position.

Maybe he's good at what he currently does, and they don't want to replace him at his current position.

I agree. A lot of what the Fire Commisioner does is political.

Even though I'm here in Texas, I've known and seen what Chief Fitzpatrick has done for the department over the last several years. Although undoubtely he would make an awesome Commisioner, I really think he is kicking ass in the role he has now. He probaly can and will do more for the department in his current capacity then a Commisioner could ever do.

If that was his career path choice though and that's what HE wanted, then I would root for him in that role.

as a follow-up, It appears Chief Fitz has decided to retire!

as a follow-up, It appears Chief Fitz has decided to retire!

News12 reported during the annoucement of Battalion Chief Kielb being appointed as the New Yonkers Fire Department Commissioner, that Chief Fitzpatrick was also "Hoping to be chosen as the New Yonkers Fire Commssioner"

Not being selected as the New Commissioner, I guess Chief Fitzpatrick could not see himself now having to report to someone (New Fire Commissioner who was a Battalion Chief) to whom had reported to directly to him in past (when Chief Fitzpatrick was Chief of Operions), thus deciding now to also retire.

News12 reported when they covered the annoucement of the New Commissioner, that a major part of the decission made was due to that "In-Coming New YFD Commissioner Kielb had a reputation of being fair and approachable" and that might have been a major part of In-Coming Mayor Spano's reasoning on deciding on Battalion Chief Kielb as being the best choice for the job.

Edited by 61MACKBR1

Who really cares what News 12 has to say. Good people moving on to better things in their lives.

Edited by 210
x129K and fjp326 like this

News12 reported during the annoucement of Battalion Chief Kielb being appointed as the New Yonkers Fire Department Commissioner, that Chief Fitzpatrick was also "Hoping to be chosen as the New Yonkers Fire Commssioner"

Not being selected as the New Commissioner, I guess Chief Fitzpatrick could not see himself now having to report to someone (New Fire Commissioner who was a Battalion Chief) to whom had reported to directly to him in past (when Chief Fitzpatrick was Chief of Operions), thus deciding now to also retire.

News12 reported when they covered the annoucement of the New Commissioner, that a major part of the decission made was due to that "In-Coming New YFD Commissioner Kielb had a reputation of being fair and approachable" and that might have been a major part of In-Coming Mayor Spano's reasoning on deciding on Battalion Chief Kielb as being the best choice for the job.

Alot of speculation going on ,on your part don't you think??? FYI, Chief Kielb had been a DC of personnel prior to Commissioner Pagano's appointment and has been a candidate for the commissioners position in the past.I have worked under both of these men and I believe either one would fit the position well.I am sorry to see Chief Fitz. go . He has done great things for the advancement of my department.He also had over 32 years on and maybe felt it time to move on.Your ASSumption as to why is ,well,none of your business .

Squad11, fjp326, x129K and 2 others like this

I've decided to remove my comments regarding this situation. It's way to complpex for me to understand, as Yonkers has a very complex heirachy and I don't have the time or info to articulate myself properly.

Edited by x635
Removing content from post

According to the news article, Chief Kielb held the officers' union top post in the past, and it appears he is not the current president.

It goes on to mention Commissioner Pagano will be retiring effective Jan 1. and Chief Kielb will step up then.

Congratulations to Chief Kielb on his appointment and also to Commissioner Pagano on his retirement!

What qualifications did Pagano have that propelled him from the rank of fighter to commissioner?

He was union president most of career prior to becomig commissioner and hug around John Spencer. Did he ever get his hands dirty?

By all reports the new commissioner was a hands on hard working officer that has respect of men.

ptwatson likes this

We once had a former Union Prez become Fire Commish on my job..................The Brothers thought that he would be a FANTASTIC Commish and fight for the men...............Turned out to be one of the biggest SCUMBAG Commisioners that my job has ever seen......................They called him "The Can Man", cause that's all he was when he was a fireman in 42 Truck............He was the Commish when I came on the job, and his name was Tom Von Essen!

Congrats to Chief Kielb, don't forget where you came from Chief!;)