Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

What Constitutes A Rescue Company In Westchester?

44 posts in this topic

5944495319_c7ffcf4886_z.jpg

Need I say more... This is a real rescue.

The only real rescue company in westchester is Yonkers FD's R1. The truck it's self is a well laid out (and staffed):

5819407970_9972f33010_z.jpg

5819409380_a20558587a_z.jpg

New Rochelle's rescue 4, because it's not staffed, doesn't in my mind certify as a real rescue complany. Don't get me wrong, I love the truck, but we're talking about rescue companies.

5819503162_206260fd03_z.jpg

Edited by firedude
sfrd18 likes this

That Old Eastchester FD Mack Rescue 5 was a "CLASSIC" and the Old Brockway "BEAST" was a true monster (as I have commented before, you DEFINATELY knew it was going out on a run, when you heard it going up towards Eastchester along Midland Avenue in Bronxville, coming out of the Bronxville Fire House - That Air Horn was ear shatering)

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. ISO 1 Department. Don't know what the staffing level was.

Eastchester had, for decades, an under-equipped Rescue "Company" with a Chauffeur, occasionally a step-man. Lots of unused space in the compartments.

The Beast Brockway. Once again, under-equipped, under-staffed. An ISO report dating back to the 1950's recommended a flying squad of seven firefighters to staff this and the former rig. Perfect example of how a fire district can suffer because of the limitations the district can impose on the tax levy. This rig would show up, and the chauffeur would disembark....."where is everybody?" was a common response from the residents....

And now Eastchester has no Rescue Company. They have a Rescue-Pumper with tools, and they have the RIT equipment, last I know of, on the Ladder Tower.

Sorry I forgot, they also have the Squad equipment from South Westchester Special Ops. EFD is actually much better off equipment wise than it was just ten years ago.

Is rescue 77 and the County Tech Rescue Team considered a rescue company?

5818926313_249efe656f_z.jpg

Don't worry if Westchester can't define a RESCUE. FEMA has been trying to define a rescue (NIMS Typing) for about eight years now. The ambulance corps people across the country often call their bus a rescue.

Check out Ray Downey's (RIP) book "The Rescue Company." FDNY invented the rescue company and everybody else should go along with the FDNY definition. When you invent something, you get to name it, don't you? It was originally given its name because its purpose was to rescue firefighters, and branched out into the can-do-all company we see today.

Based on that, I think you would agree that a Rescue Company is a combination of highly trained personnel along with the tools to accomplish just about ANYTHING. I don't care if those highly trained people are responding with all their tools in a Hertz Truck. In my opinion, anything less is not a rescue, it is a pipe dream.

helicopper and firedude like this

That Old Eastchester FD Mack Rescue 5 was a "CLASSIC" and the Old Brockway "BEAST" was a true monster (as I have commented before, you DEFINATELY knew it was going out on a run, when you heard it going up towards Eastchester along Midland Avenue in Bronxville, coming out of the Bronxville Fire House - That Air Horn was ear shatering)

Eastchester Rescue 5 before the Brockway 361 is a White "Super Mustang" , not a Mack!

Two basic issues: What is a Rescue Company and what is a Rescue Unit?

The Rescue Company is equipment (including transport) AND enough trained personnel that respond together and can perform a particular rescue function.

How much personnel is needed? This depends on the incident. FDNY has the best Rescue Staffing and their are many incidents that require additional Rescues, or trucks or squads to assist them.

The Rescue Truck. We have an issue because in Westchester a Rescue can be a regular van or a 24' tandum axle unit.

post-4072-0-11105200-1324505010.jpg

post-4072-0-92390300-1324504915.jpg

What is a Rescue? A light Rescue? Medium? Heavy?

If you own a 20'+ walk in rescue, but basicly only have the equipment to handle an MVA its not a "heavy rescue". A line I always get a kick out of is "Heavy Rescue is the capability of the company not the weight of the chassie"

We have truck companies that carry what I would equate to as the equipment for a light rescue unit (spreader, cutter, rams, cribbing, airbags, jacks and basic rope equipment). I have seen large rescues that do not carry much more. Infact often I see they do not carry enough basic cribbing to handle a car underride of a truck or school bus).

My 1st question to a chief when laying out a new rescue is what type of rescue calls do you plan on operating at?

Fire, MVA, Machinery, Water (surface, swift/flood, Ice, dive), heavy transport (truck, bus, train, aircraft, etc.), confined space, high angle, trench, building collapse, etc.

You can not carry everything you need on 1 vehicle to handle all of the above. This unit may respond to all of them, but you must decide what equipment you will put on this unit. And if you can't carry it, who does?

Much of this debate would go away if 60 Control had a list (that everyone saw) that listed rescues by capability (in terms of type of incidents).

As listed in the squad description, we also need to determine what staffing (including minimum training levels) needs to respond (FEMA calls this typing) with each type of unit (engine, ladder, rescue, etc.).

Also lets not get hung up with how many responders can ride in the rescue. Whats important is how many arrive with it and can operate as a company. There are many 2 seat heavy rescues, but they get another 4-6 responders in another vehicle.

probably one of the bests posts on the subject written thus far...

wraftery and firedude like this

Need I say more... This is a real rescue.

Hey wait a second. You're not allowed to have Bravado about this; even the guys that work it don't carry that! B)

Additionally, great post Cap Nechis. Reads like something out a textbook, complete with the perfect textbook photo; that van!

But hey let's face it. The history of the FDNY Rescues. It was more about the function than what they carried wasn't it? Wasn't a torch the most sophisticated piece of equipment for a long time? And I say this in absolutely no derogatory way. The mystique about a Rescue Company was because it carried guys like Tommy McTigue, and the culture of humility, although I'm quite sure many truckies from the FDNY would scream about that point.

And I have no qualms about showing the EFD Rescue or describing it a bit. However, there are many more stories in the big county, many more Rescues that carried even less than we did...and I'm talking manpower. lol

Edited by efdcapt115
x129K, firedude, sfrd18 and 3 others like this

Tommy McTeague...I don't think there are many FFs around that are quite like him in more ways than one.

efdcapt115 likes this

I am not in westchester county BUT...

On my department. There is no "Rescue Company".

Whovever shows up, drives our Rescue Truck.

It has:

2 Airbags

Hydraulic Ram, Spreaders, Cutters

Various Tools: Hand saws, Axe, Halligan, Closet Hook, Chainsaws, shovels, brooms

Light Tower as well as "portable lights"

Rope Rescue

Stokes

Backboards

Full 02 jumpkit

Winch

Multiple Extinguishers

2 Scott Packs

Spare Bottles

Water & Ice rescue Equipment

On board Generator

Cribbing

Some basic HAZMAT equipment

visit www.granvillevolunteerfiredepartment.org

for a phot

Let's look at places like Port Chester .. its an up and coming rescue company.... The company encourages and helps their members gain access to many state courses.... Like any other volunteer dept. You must start with basics...

FF1/2, Survival with FAST, AVET, RTB,HazMat Ops ( I believe this is the

Minimum that they want) which opens the door to Confined space, collapse rescue,

And more specific specialty training.... They try and work with what their given every volunteer fire depts financial strains...

hey dont feel bad,putnam county is the same way. lets get a truck and throw some extrication tools and some hazmat stuff on it and call it a rescue. if you ask me a rescue company should be for incidents that get to complicated for an engine or truck to handle and firefighter rescue.

Tommy McTeague...I don't think there are many FFs around that are quite like him in more ways than one.

Tom used to say that the only way to get into Rescue 3 was to have a metal plate in your head. The Captain would hold a magnet over your head, during the interview for entrance to the company, and see if it attached to your scalp.He was quite a character, and quite a fireman. His "post-retirement" job was driving a dynamite delivery truck! Need I say more?

efdcapt115 likes this

Agree totally chief. The guy is a legend, well known beyond the boundaries of New York City, from media coverage, his participation in the pipe band, the parades, he always made himself available for a funny conversation.

Just have to point out I got my spelling of his name off the pipes and drums website. A legend's name must be passed along proper spelled.

Like.............Nechis. lol

x129K and Bnechis like this