Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SageVigiles

Cruise Ship Accident

14 posts in this topic

After looking at the unbelievable pictures of the cruise liner run aground/capsized in Italy, it got me to thinking:

What kind of resources would we use for an incident like this in America, specifically the New England/NYC Metro area? I know there are a lot of cruises coming out of New Jersey and NY ports.

Anyone ever train for a situation like this? What are your key tactical concerns operating WITHIN a sinking/capsized vessel to effect a technical rescue on a sinking, collapsed structure, with all kinds of HAZMATs leaking out into the open water?

Which agency becomes the primary on this type of incident? Who coordinates the enormous amount of resources you'd need? Does USCG have ultimate authority because its in open water?

Sorry if my post is sort of scatterbrained, I'm just firing off thoughts here.

Just some thoughts off the top of my head, could be a good discussion..

I assume USCG would have authority.

While hazmat would be a concern rescue of victims would be number one obviously.

Obviously specialized resources would be needed such as dive teams and water rescue teams, but also tech rescue teams for breaching the hull and searching?

It looks like the Italians did a great job considering the potential for loss of life in that situation.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the nearest USCG assets to this area in Cape Cod and South Jersey?

I'm assuming that if the incident was in the NYC area, it would be FDNY Marine, NYPD Marine/Avaiation units first on scene. You would probably also have Nassau and Suffolk County Marine units first responding.

For this area I'm assuming that they would call for all available boats/ air units

I know Orange County has New York State Police and NYC DEP Police Air Units at Stewart Airport and that the Orange County Sheriff's Office has a marine unit that responded to the SI Ferry disaster, and I believe West Point FD's boat did too.

"Get"da"off"fa"da"boat"!, "You som ma b****"

LOL!!!

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the nearest USCG assets to this area in Cape Cod and South Jersey?

No, New Haven has a unit, I think its a Station. Got a couple of FAST boats. New London has units as well, not sure if its a Station or what, but the Academy is there as well. There is a Long Island Sound Sector.

You might be thinking aviation assets are out of South Jersey and Cape Code. I'm pretty sure there is a USCG Sector/Station/etc in NYC.

This accident, as it happened there, would not happen here. What happened was the Captain took the ship off computer control (believe or not the computer is driving the ship, as does many airlines). He did this to drive very close to the island to blow his horn. The cruise line is now totally blaming the Captain.

Coming into NY Harbor, the ships are met outside the harbor by a pilot ship. The pilot knows all about the conditions in the harbor and he helps the Captain bring in the ship.

On a side note now is a good time to buy tickets for a Costa Cruise. The price must be going down.:rolleyes:

I thought the only tours of Italy were done by the Perillo's. Been seeing those commercials for years...

FF398, JM15 and firedude like this

This accident, as it happened there, would not happen here. What happened was the Captain took the ship off computer control (believe or not the computer is driving the ship, as does many airlines). He did this to drive very close to the island to blow his horn. The cruise line is now totally blaming the Captain.

Coming into NY Harbor, the ships are met outside the harbor by a pilot ship. The pilot knows all about the conditions in the harbor and he helps the Captain bring in the ship.

On a side note now is a good time to buy tickets for a Costa Cruise. The price must be going down.:rolleyes:

The Pilot takes control of the ship just outside the harbor and is at the controls while the ship is in harbor. The Captain gets the ship back after it leaves the harbor.

USCG Sandy Hook is the sector covering NYC.

USCG Station NY located on Staten Island covers NYC.

"Station New York is located just north of Fort Wadsworth on Staten Island. Station New York’s AOR is from the following boundaries; south on the Arthur Kills to Outerbridge Crossing, north on the Hudson River to Whitehall, New York (approximately 60 miles north of Albany), north on the East River to the Triborough Bridge, and north of a line drawn from Rockaway Inlet Breakwater Light 4 (LLNR 34220) and Crooks Point at Great Kills Harbor on Staten Island.

The USCG is in charge of all federally regulated waterways."

USCG is in charge of all federally regulated waterways.

Yes USCG Station NY from Ft Wadsworth on SI would be first due, I forget get how many boats they have, at least eight motor life boats last time I was there. USCG Avaition is from William J. Hughes Federal Aviation Administration Technical Center at the Atlantic City International Airport but I think there is a seasonal helicopter out on Long Island. All of the NJ State Police Helicopters have winches now. as does the Bell 412s from NYPD. Divers from FDNY, NYPD, NJ State Police. Boats are a dome a dozen. The fleets of the FDNY, NYPD, Hudson Couny, NJ Departments, NJ State Police, and dozens of other public safety department that have marine units, (US Park Police, etc). NY Waterway, tugs, Circle Line, etc.

Thats a tech rescue nightmare. Cruise ships are confusing rat mazes when well lit, dry and upright. Now everything is tilted 90 degreees. Doors are covered in debris. Walls that are not intended to be walked on now have to bear the weight of rescuers, victims and the contents of the room. Whole sections could be inaccessible yet capable of sheltering survivors because the hallway made a U that is now floooded.

Well Pilots never take command of a ship, unless the ship is in the Suez Canal or the Panama Canal systems. A Pilot is considered a local aid to navigation, if the pilot gives a course that would endanger a ship its the captain's fault. Also no prudent mariner nor captain would ever keep a ship in auto-pilot when close to shore or navigating in a high traffic situation. An Able body seaman would be on the helm and possibly have the Third Mate overseeing that the proper helm commands are being fallowed. as for response to something like this, several new regulations have come about since the BP mess in the Gulf of Mexico. There are teams of mariners that are able to respond within 4 hours of activation and alert by the USCG.

No, New Haven has a unit, I think its a Station. Got a couple of FAST boats. New London has units as well, not sure if its a Station or what, but the Academy is there as well. There is a Long Island Sound Sector.

You might be thinking aviation assets are out of South Jersey and Cape Code. I'm pretty sure there is a USCG Sector/Station/etc in NYC.

Air assets are indeed in Cape Cod and Atlantic City but the Coast Guard does have surface resources in the metro area and up the Hudson River. Coast Guard Sector NY is based in Staten Island and there is Sector Long Island Sound for that side of the city.

We need only think back to Sully's flight 1549 to consider the implications of an incident like this. The first resources on scene, and those responsible for the overwhelming number of rescues, were ferry boats and other commercial vessels. This isn't to diminish the work of the FD/PD/EMS/USCG but the majority of people were brought aboard civilian vessels.

The Port Authority of NY/NJ would be a principal stakeholder as would the US Coast Guard and the affected cruise line. Depending on where the incident occurred would dictate what local FD/PD/EMS resources were involved but as is always the case, it would be a total charlie-foxtrot and resources from miles away would be showing up uninvited to "lend a hand".