Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

The Superbowl Commercial With Clint Eastwood

21 posts in this topic

Clint, I love you man, I don't love my tax dollars going for commercials during the Super Bowl (or any other time). Chevy, you used our tax dollars to crack on Ford and they did not get on line for the public dole. I do not agree with these car manufacturers that owe us so much spending our money that they should not have gotten in the first place.

Just my two cents (and a whole lot more)........

Clint, I love you man, I don't love my tax dollars going for commercials during the Super Bowl (or any other time). Chevy, you used our tax dollars to crack on Ford and they did not get on line for the public dole. I do not agree with these car manufacturers that owe us so much spending our money that they should not have gotten in the first place.

Just my two cents (and a whole lot more)........

Sorry but out of all the federal stimulus packages the auto industry is the only one to me that made sense. If any one of the auto companies failed we could have been back in another great depression. It kept Americans who truly needed it working. The majority of that money was repaid. The bank bailout was ridiculous as there are plenty of other banks to pick up the slack. It would have hurt the strength of the dollar...but no where near the amount of people would have lost their jobs like that if they auto industry collapsed.

I liked the commercial and its positive message-but nagging me in the back of my head was the bailout-and the fact that Ford didn't need it ( although they did take part in some gov't loans )It's hard to say detroit is "on top" when it's been subsidized by billions in taxpayer dollars-shouldn't it be on top because of superior products? just my 2 little cents

SageVigiles likes this

In the end I was watching that commercial because I tuned in for the game- and that was truly a great game! Big Blue!

I liked the commercial and its positive message-but nagging me in the back of my head was the bailout-and the fact that Ford didn't need it ( although they did take part in some gov't loans )It's hard to say detroit is "on top" when it's been subsidized by billions in taxpayer dollars-shouldn't it be on top because of superior products? just my 2 little cents

Comparitively, american cars are being touted for the first time in many years at being superior then others out there on the market. They are enjoying a resurgence that was unseen through the competition with Japanese and Korean made vehicles. You can't be on top because of subsidies...only sales is the true benchmark of that and right now with their nicer looking energy efficient cars...they are enjoying quite a boom. And again..the majority of that money was paid back. Whether Ford needed it or not makes no difference to me. Within the industry they are competitors as well and you have to do what you must to sell products. You say yourself Ford took part is some loans. Well they took money as well. I also understand no matter where the money came from it all gets reinvested in some way as well. They pay for advertisement space to media markets which goes to pay employees which turns into tax revenue both income and sales when they spend.

The Superbowl Commercial for Chrysler, which really wasn't even a full out commercial, was awesome and inspiring. The best part....Clint Eastwood and his voice.

Watch it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PE5V4Uzobc

For those of us old enough to remember: it was a throwback to Reagan's "Morning in America" re-election campaign commercials.

My only political issue is this is from Chrysler, which was bailed out by the government and was aired right after Obama said in an interview he "deserved" to be re-elected because the economy would rebound in his second term. Playing the devil's advocate, it sounds like Chrysler was pumping up Obama as payback for the bailout?

I much rather see my tax money spent on an awesome commercial like this rather than see it being spent on failed social service initiatives that just throw tax dollars at problems and don't actually attack the cause of the problem.

SageVigiles, sfrd18, JM15 and 2 others like this

Clint, I love you man, I don't love my tax dollars going for commercials during the Super Bowl (or any other time)

Detroit was once a great, booming city that now is a haven for crime and urban deterioration. How did WE let it get like that? Heck, NYS and New England have similar cities that fell victim to doing it cheaper overseas and greed. Wal-Mart is one of them. They easily can support American made products and create thousands of new jobs in factories in the US , but they don't want to. And consumers are forced to go to Wal Mart for their every need because they can get stuff cheap there.

I give Chrysler a lot of credit for the commerical last night. They barely featured their cars or promoted themselves in the ads. They are actively campaigning the "Imported From Detroit". It is their ad campaign, but I give them credit for promoting the city as well. Clint Eastwood wrote the words that he spoke in that commercial.

Detroit can be reborn, and is. People are starting to move back because the auto industry is coming back. Americans need to demand more products produced by Americans. One of the main problems is that kids are expected to go to college nowadays, and their isn't a lot of the work ethic left by previous generations who built these companies and the City Of Detroit. But that can be changed and is a whole 'nother issue.

And Clint Eastwood, highlighting the urban decay in his movie "Gran Torino", which was filmed in Detroit. It shows how some parts are terrorized by thugs, but there are good people in the city who are very loyal to it.

And I find it sickening that some photographers mae "buff trips" to Detroit to enjoy the destruction of the City and chase fires.

sfrd18 likes this

I'm just curious. Is there a sector of American business that hasn't/doesn't receive "stimulus packages" in the form(s) of subsidies, tax breaks, incentives, low/no interest loans and/or other "bail-outs" from the government?

antiquefirelt likes this

Like I said- I like the commercial- it made me feel good- But paying people $7500 of taxpayer money to buy a Chevy Volt does not equal success in my book. I will continue to buy American when I buy a car- Ford reliability and quality has also made huge strides- they have been turning out some great stuff the past few years- and they did it pretty much on their own.I agree with the post above though, if they're going to piss away taxpayer dollars, I'll take that commercial over some useless social program LOL

With a full fleet of Crown Vics and F550's the only things in our shop today was Chevy pickups and Internationals. I was never a Ford fan but they are pretty reliable for us.

EdAngiolillo likes this

On the surface the bailout programs fly in the face of a significant portion of the taxpaying community. But one must look at the economic impact of allowing Detroit to fail. Maybe Ford would have survived, in all likelihood, any one of the big three would probably flourish if the two others failed, given the buy American sentiment. How much would it cost if just one of the big 3 failed? How many sub-companies would go under? How many employees nationwide would end up added to our already staggering unemployment lines? To think some even advocated boycotting Chevy and Chrysler for taking bailout funds! If they then failed after taking the bailouts, we'd have lost that money forever. reportedly, Chevy and Chrysler have repaid all the money the took.

We the taxpayers bailout the airlines every year. We spend billions on airports and airlines to ensure the airline industry is solvent. If the airline had to fully fund their true costs, tickets would be too far out of range for 99% of Americans to fly, causing that industry to collapse. In a perfect world each industry would collect enough money to not require tax dollars, but we've become too reliant on many to allow them to fail.

As for the cost of the Super Bowl commercial, it's still a drop in the bucket of any automakers total advertising budget. And it has farther reaching implications than just Detroit or Chrysler. Increased Chrysler sales nationwide helps jobs nationwide.

BTW given my experience with Ford, I'd say they didn't need the bailout as they still had enough cash flow from parts and service! :blink:

Ford reliability and quality has also made huge strides- they have been turning out some great stuff the past few years.........

.....now if only their tie rods wouldn't fail...hmmmmm......................:)

I'm just a small gov't guy- I want them in as little of my business as possible- I want the gov't to do what it's mandated to do by the Constitution- defend the Nation and constitution, provide for interstate commerce by regulating and investing in infrastructure ,and regulate monetary policy- obviously it's a little broader than that but really, that's the bulk of it.- everything else was really meant to be left up to the States. I'm sure a good mix of people on these boards work for state, local and federal gov'ts and I have nothing against anyone that does- but your view of gov't is certainly a bit skewed when it's your livelyhood. On May 31, 2009, a Rasmussen poll showed only 21% of voters nationwide supported the GM bailout- safe to say I'm not alone in my opinion.

I'm just a small gov't guy- I want them in as little of my business as possible- I want the gov't to do what it's mandated to do by the Constitution- defend the Nation and constitution, provide for interstate commerce by regulating and investing in infrastructure ,and regulate monetary policy- obviously it's a little broader than that but really, that's the bulk of it.- everything else was really meant to be left up to the States. I'm sure a good mix of people on these boards work for state, local and federal gov'ts and I have nothing against anyone that does- but your view of gov't is certainly a bit skewed when it's your livelyhood. On May 31, 2009, a Rasmussen poll showed only 21% of voters nationwide supported the GM bailout- safe to say I'm not alone in my opinion.

No offense..but 95% of that 21% probably didn't understand the ramifications of the potential failure or what the stipulations even were. I'm all for small government too...but when things get bad states can't hold on and that's obvious from lessons of the great depression...the recession of the early 90's and the crisis we've been in now. The economy to boot is too global not to have federal government involvement.

antiquefirelt likes this

I'm just curious. Is there a sector of American business that hasn't/doesn't receive "stimulus packages" in the form(s) of subsidies, tax breaks, incentives, low/no interest loans and/or other "bail-outs" from the government?

Yes there is Chris, its called the American Middle Class, kind of hard to get any of the mentioned when we are the ones paying for it.

Well put Cal,I don't have too much more to give for all these great causes the gov't sees fit to get involved in. It's very easy to be so giving with other peoples money-I bust my A$$ to pay my mortgage and put food on the table I don't get anything from the gov't-nor do I want it-NOBODY bailed me out when I was having a hard time- I had to work 3 times as hard to make things work- " A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away." If GM was allowed to go bankrupt, they would have fluffed off most of their debt, and re-organized as leaner, possibly more competitive company-