Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Social Media Postings About Your Jobs

6 posts in this topic

I see postings on Facebook about people referencing work, going to work, or the facilities they work at, in "humourous" ways. I've also seen people going to work referencing those who they work for (the citizens) or the way their department does things.

While we all agree that, conversationally, some things can be funny and "observations" about what citizens get into is also funny, I just find it unprofessional.

I just ask myself "Is this really how they feel about their jobs?".

If I see a bunch of people making jokes about where they work and the activities that go at any department, I wonder what type of research an attorney could do if there was ever a delay or critical mistake in a response? Is their Facebook page going to show they take their jobs seriously, or they take their as a joke?

And, lastly, what kind of pride do these people really have in their jobs? And is the job about them, or the job that they do?

I TRY not to post about work...and certainly would never* badmouth the Job...however, lately I have a streak of "luck" where if I am off, we have a fire at work...and if I am at work, we have a fire at home..like RIGHT THIS VERY FRICKIN' SECOND...so i keep posting about that...mostly tounge in cheek...

But there are MANY on my friends list that post WAYYYYYY too much about work shenanigans..

(* never say never, I know!)

Edited by x129K

I guess if you keep it light and somewhat PC it is ok. But no one should be criticizing their department and definitely not John Q Public. We all have funny stuff happen and maybe want to share it. But if i am reading you right, people should not be airing their grievances on Facebook or the like. If you have such an issue maybe you should take a step back and see what you are really complaining about. Is it deeper then "this guy is a tool"? On the other hand maybe there is a outside issue rearing it's head (ie. trouble with the wife, substance abuse, etc.). I think we as emergency personnel should put the best face forward because "Do it perfect and no one remembers, screw it up and no one forgets"

x129K likes this

No matter the area you work in, Fire/EMS/Police often deals with the worst of the worst nonsense. It's easy to forget that those who we deal with often are not representative of a neighborhood or community as a whole AND regardless of someones personal situation, we have to provide them with top-notch service. The way we blow off steam in and joke among ourselves is a defense mechanism for dealing with tough/frustrating things on a day to day basis. It serves a real purpose, but that doesn't make it appropriate for any kind of broadcast. We see things that most do not and that gives us a different view. We all know the person with a "tummy ache" who calls at 3am saying the pain started three days before. How about the drunk who stumbles home from the bar and pulls every pull box on his way home in the middle of the night. We can ease our frustrations with humor as long as that humor is contained to colleagues.

Any conversation or occurrence at work should never be discussed or broadcast on any social media outlet. You don't know who's reading what or who's privy to what information. Perhaps a legal issue developes surrounding an issue you dealt with at work. Do you really want to be called to court to discuss something you posted about on a silly sight like Facebook?

"Loose Lips Sink Ships".....it's a good motto to remember. We all would be served to remember that line.

Be very careful what you post online especially about your job. We had a FF up here in Bourne who was fired by the town for "conduct unbecoming" as a result of posting his gripes on FB.

Needless to say, he had what he felt was a legitimate axe to grind with the town and his bosses, but this was the icing on the cake when the town got hold of his posts.

It makes no sense turning yourself into a lightning rod where you could lose your livelihood over something as simple as speaking your mind.

This guy may "win" in the end, but in the meantime he's out of work...it could take months and months of court battles to get "justice", and then again he may not...there's no guarantee,

And it isnt just Facebook - you can get jammed up bad on other sites...like...THIS one!