Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
laxer2

Yonkers FD Physical Test

24 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, I recently took the Yonkers FD written exam and had a question. About how long after the written test is the physical test? Thanks for all your help. Stay safe.

I believe it depends on where you rank on the list, if I'm not mistaken.

M' Ave likes this

I believe it depends on where you rank on the list, if I'm not mistaken.

Usually in October

For the 2008 YFD exam the written was in June of '08 and the physical was in November of '08.

hey guys, thanks for your responses. really appreciated. i was just trying to get an idea of when it was coming up. i met someone who works in the YFD and he said there is one more class off the old list starting in june. any truth to this? if so when do you think they will hire next?

hey guys, thanks for your responses. really appreciated. i was just trying to get an idea of when it was coming up. i met someone who works in the YFD and he said there is one more class off the old list starting in june. any truth to this? if so when do you think they will hire next?

They plan on putting in a class in the next couple of weeks. Train hard for the physical. Lots of guys retiring within the next four years. Good luck!

BFD1054, x129K and sfrd18 like this

Thanks again for all the responses guys, it's really helpful. i just had one more question, is the physical test usually held on a weekend like the written or is it a random day during the week?

Anyone know if they are still gonna put in a new class? If so when? The budget is not looking good and I was wondering if that would cancel the class.

And just alittle advice there young man. If you're smart, you won't put all your eggs in one basket. Yonkers is a Great Dept and if I was a young guy, I know how you feel. It certainly would be something that I would work for.

But, in the meantime, continue to take every test you can for wherever. I ended up taking six test and I didn't get the dept I wanted (Bridgeport, Ct). But I got on the job somewhere else. Did my thing. Had a Great time and retired after some 30 years.

I hope that you are lucky enough to get Yonkers. Just keep in the back of your mind, there's other depts out there that you should also be applying for.

Thanks for the advice. I'm trying to do that however the problem i seem to face each time is most other departments have residents preferences first which really narrows down my options.

99subi likes this

In the past, Yonkers has offered a practice run-through of the physical test. GO TO THIS. You need strength, but technique is a big part and you want to be familiar with the events.

As nfd stated above, don't put all of your eggs in the same basket. I took several tests and I was lucky to have a choice. Trust me, that's a good feeling. Open as many doors as you can then choose the one you want to go through. Yonkers is top shelf, but that's the very same reason that youll face stiff competition. Be prepared, leave yourself many options and work hard to get what you want.

BFD1054 and sfrd18 like this

Thanks for the advice. I'm trying to do that however the problem i seem to face each time is most other departments have residents preferences first which really narrows down my options.

Thats the main problem these days, basicly if you are not a resident, you are not getting the job.It sucks

FF398 likes this

Anyone know if they are still gonna put in a new class? If so when? The budget is not looking good and I was wondering if that would cancel the class.

My close friends son tells me theyve been getting different dates every two weeks. These poor guys, along with the rest of the Yonkers Bravest, are going through hell fighting for their jobs and dreams...they did everything asked and are now just being teased by the administration...

I hope you're not wishing misfortune for those who are waiting and hoping, just for your fortune to prosper. Just saying...

sfrd18 likes this

Has anyone gotten results from the last written test? Heard anything?

I have een retired from Yonkers for about 2 1/2 years after a 30+ year career. I don't know who writes these things but as over my entire career this story is filled with wrong information. This is typical for the politicians and press in Yonkers, if the facts don't work for you just make it up as you go. The sick leave statement has been wrong in the past and I'm sure it's wrong again here. The line about 10 minutes early for a weeks pay is wrong, to begin with it's 12 minutes, and it's for one crew to pass on information to the next crew, and it's not a weeks pay. Why should that lead to more sick leave, it does'nt make sense? The manning clause is 57 not 54 and is a safety issue. Also talks about preventing "abusers" from working mutual shifts, makes it sound like 25% of the job are abusers, which is total BS, not to mention mutuals are contractual, but they have been trying to rip up the NEGOTIATED contract for years. The City negotiated the contracts and now they want just throw them out, very typical from politicians.

JFLYNN, redtruck75, BFD1054 and 3 others like this

Anyone have updates to the FD situation? Company closings? Safer grant waiver? Hiring the class?

I've heard from a couple guys that they received letters inviting them to take the physical aggility test.

Residents scoring in the top percentile have recieved letters to participate in the physical. Don't quote me,but I believe the cut off was 90's and better are being invited.

Anyone know how many got letters?