Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JetPhoto

Want to read it, pay up! Lohud now charges to read

12 posts in this topic

Another news paper is now a subscription paper. I noticed tonight that LoHud.com now lets you read a few free articles before you have to pay for a subscription. It's only a matter of time before the rest go that way.

Yet another reason to stop going to newspapers for information. Between that and the regionalization of newspapers (IE: The "Danbury" News Times is run out of Bridgeport and is full of news about Bridgeport and Stamford) I won't really be that choked up when this form of media dies off.

x4093k likes this

Yet another reason to stop going to newspapers for information. Between that and the regionalization of newspapers (IE: The "Danbury" News Times is run out of Bridgeport and is full of news about Bridgeport and Stamford) I won't really be that choked up when this form of media dies off.

The funny part about them is, the few editors who were retained by Hearst Media after the NewsTimes was bought out know their content sucks and the quality has plummeted but there's nothing they can do.

Also this isn't anything new. A lot of newspapers have been charging subscriptions for years now.

Well, just their loss.

Overall I think it's a pretty shortsighted move, by doing this there will be that many less eyeballs available for their online advertisers.

I admit, I'll miss being able to catch up on some of my old hometown news there, but there are also many other free online news outlets available.

The Poughkeepsie Urinal did this a few months ago.... it's expensive as hell -- $17 a month for web access and Fri-Sat-Sun delivery of a real paper... I'm planning on killing the whole thing -- waste of time and money.

I've seen this price-for-access modelused by other newspapers, and they went back to free after a tremendous drop in visits to their site. Sooner then later, and as sad as am to say this, I don't think there will be newspapers. Tablet subscriptions, and sites like "The Patch" (before becoming corporate) will overtake print. I just hope magazines and books don't go totally this route, either.

I go to LoHud.com to see what's going on up in Westchester that would relate to me, and anything that would interest me or this site. Otherwise, my interest in Westchester is dwindling, and I'm tired of reading how many speeders the cops pulled over on the highway last night.

The part that is going to hurt the most for me is that if I decide not to subscribe, I won't be able to see Frank's photos anymore.

It's based on a cookie. So when you run out of article views just reset your cookies in your browser, or just view the site in Chrome using their incognito window https://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=95464&p=cpn_incognito and then you won't have to worry about running out of article views

highwaybuff, firedude, JM15 and 3 others like this

It's based on a cookie. So when you run out of article views just reset your cookies in your browser, or just view the site in Chrome using their incognito window https://support.goog...p=cpn_incognito and then you won't have to worry about running out of article views

Yea, just set your web browser to in private browsing but I believe you have to exit the window after each view, no?

Yea, set it to private... Once you run out of page views you have to close the browser and open it back up into private and you should be back to 13 views or whatever it is