peterose313

Westchester Airport drill to simulate collision of large, small planes

45 posts in this topic

Sorry George. I hope it didn't bring back memories of the shower incident during probie school......

Not at all. Your secret is safe with me. lol

Sorry George. I hope it didn't bring back memories of the shower incident during probie school......

Oh well there goes dinner!
efdcapt115 and x4093k like this

I'm glad I was not in their probie school.

And Mr. Burrell, I did not realize you have been out of emergency services so long that you no longer understand the terminology.

I'm glad I was not in their probie school.

You weren't cool enough...too many hotbaths...lol

LTNRFD likes this

I meant hotpockets. No uh hotshower..what is it again? OH hotwashing. 10-4. k.

x4093k likes this

Some of us "blew it off" to attend a funeral or to stand by so others could attend.

I have no problem with anyone attending a funeral, or standing by so others could, that's a priority, That's why I didn't say anything about anyone going to a funeral, I said something about people going to a PARADE, which is obviously some peoples priority.

I have no problem with anyone attending a funeral, or standing by so others could, that's a priority, That's why I didn't say anything about anyone going to a funeral, I said something about people going to a PARADE, which is obviously some peoples priority.

Sorry a department achieves a milestone and celebrates it with other departments instead of just hanging a banner or 2 outside each of the houses in the department, god forbid a department do such a thing. What were they thinking?! FYI, some depts were at both so take a chill pill.

Edited by peterose313

Does anybody have a unit and/or agency rundown on who participated?

Sorry a department achieves a milestone and celebrates it with other departments instead of just hanging a banner or 2 outside each of the houses in the department, god forbid a department do such a thing. What were they thinking?! FYI, some depts were at both so take a chill pill.

Some departments hang a banner outside because they can't afford a parade, not because they don't want to. Yes, some departments went to both. However, the important live-saving training that took place at the airport seems to be more valuable than a social event, IMO. I congratulate Ossining FD with the 200 year anniversary, and wish them a safe 200 more but one event was more relevant to a firefighter’s job description than the other.

I don't care what Ossining did on Saturday because they aren't involved in the County Airport Emergency response plan. I am happy they enjoyed their anniversary, it holds no bearing on the drill. What I care about is agencies that are heavily involved in this plan deciding to not participate at all in the drill to instead attend a parade. You can honestly tell me that you believe that is a good sense of priorities?

firedude likes this

I don't care what Ossining did on Saturday because they aren't involved in the County Airport Emergency response plan. I am happy they enjoyed their anniversary, it holds no bearing on the drill. What I care about is agencies that are heavily involved in this plan deciding to not participate at all in the drill to instead attend a parade. You can honestly tell me that you believe that is a good sense of priorities?

A number of EMS and Fire Based EMS agencies that normally would be called to the airport and in the past have participated, were not available because of the parade.

How about this, instead of griping and pointing fingers here, email the chiefs of the departments you are speaking about. You'll get your answer.

peterose313 likes this

Anyone interested in listening to communications from this drill can listen online here: http://www.radiorefe...=wp&feedId=1334

They are using multiple FG if anyone has a trunked scanner.

Fire Ground chnanels are conventional, you don't need a truck scanner to listen to the fire ground channels.

How about this, instead of griping and pointing fingers here, email the chiefs of the departments you are speaking about. You'll get your answer.

I don't need to ask them anything, because I'm not looking for any answers. There are plain and simple facts, they were invited to the drill, they were invited to a parade. They chose to attend the parade. I believe this is a problem, not just here but throughout the fire service, where departments place more importance on social functions than they do on firefighting. Just trying to bring some attention to what I believe is an important issue instead of chatting about light bars or trains. If you don't feel it's an important topic then feel free to ignore it like many others do.

SageVigiles likes this

Fire Ground chnanels are conventional, you don't need a truck scanner to listen to the fire ground channels.

Maybe we are talking about 2 different things but Westchester County's Firegroud Freqs are on the Trunked Radio Sysytem.

Maybe we are talking about 2 different things but Westchester County's Firegroud Freqs are on the Trunked Radio Sysytem.

Trunked system includes the A-Bank, the B-Bank and the C-Bank.

The A-bank include the truncated frequencies such as Fire-13, Fire 10, and OPS-5. These are the Battalion Zones as well as the truncated operation channels. These are not line of site, and 60-control can communicate with you on these frequencies.

The B-Bank include the truncated frequencies such as EMS -11 and the ambulance to hospital channels. These are not line of site, and 60-control can communicate with you on these frequencies.

The C-Bank on the trunked system works a little differently. It includes normal (conventional) frequencies that you would find on a normal portable radio. This includes, 46.26, 46.14, and the line of site FIREGROUND frequencies which include fire ground 1-8. The FIREGROUND's use a line of site system, and do not work off of repeaters or other enhancements. This is why 60-control cannot monitor any of the fire ground traffic.

There is a HUGE difference between Fire-# Ops-# and Fireground - #. If you're listening on a trunked scanner on the other side of the county, you should be able to hear all of the communication in the A - Bank, all of the communication in the B- Bank, and the traffic that uses repeaters on the C-bank such as 46.26. All fireground traffic, would have to be in the line of sight range to pick up on the scanner,

For a detailed explination of the system, here is the County's power point on how to use it - www.westchestergov.com/emergserv/60control/xts2500_volk3.ppt

Res30cue, Monty and firedude like this