TCD0415

Portable Radio's. Where do you carry them ?

15 posts in this topic

Having some discussion on the "Proper" way to carry your Portable Radio's with a colleague.

Looking for some discussion on the good the bad and the ugly on how you and your department wear your radios.

Radio Pocket on your coat ? Carrying Case inside your coat ? Carrying Case outside your coat ? Other ?

And why you feel that one way may be better than another?

Actually something related to this discussion recently came up in my department.

We just took delivery of some of the new Scott Packs that have the Pak-Tracker device. The transponder for this device is located on the bottom of the pack, and we're no longer allowed to wear our radios on straps at our hip as a result. The portable radio and transponder can apparently interfere with each other.

No big deal for me since I wear mine in my coat pocket except for medicals, etc, but some people are not happy.

Actually something related to this discussion recently came up in my department.

We just took delivery of some of the new Scott Packs that have the Pak-Tracker device. The transponder for this device is located on the bottom of the pack, and we're no longer allowed to wear our radios on straps at our hip as a result. The portable radio and transponder can apparently interfere with each other.

No big deal for me since I wear mine in my coat pocket except for medicals, etc, but some people are not happy.

Sage,

Have you experienced this or have any information of this occurring? My department's new SCBA have this function and some members use radio straps.

Depends on the situation. Usually I have a strap for majority of calls but if actual work I would put it into my coat radio pocket so it's less likely to get caught up on studs or anything else. Medical calls I usually have a strap or back pocket. When I'm buffing fires outside of district usually it's in my back pocket.

I loved a leather strap and carry-case. Ended up with a radio pocket in the end. It would be unfortunate if what Sage is saying ends up having an affect on how you can carry your radio though.

All our TOG has radio pockets, so nearly every member carries their radio there. Additionally all officers (who might serve as an IC) must carry two radios, so each has a radio strap and the radio pocket. Each radio is left in a fixed freq. position, one on the dispatch freq. the second on our fireground freq. we found scanning allowed too may missed transmissions. Most everyone with a strap wears it under the coat rather than tangle it up with seatbelts and SCBA straps, and given the single channel operation, changing frequencies after gearing up is rare. We also have a clip mounted on the TOG above the radio pocket to clip the mike wire in. This reduces or eliminates the mike dangling at your feet when it comes un-clipped from the collar or strap or whatever.

The newer turnout gear issued by my department does not have radio pockets so I carry my radio in a case on my left hip under my turnout coat with the strap over my right shoulder. This approach ensures: (1) I always know where my radio is; (2) the strap won't interfere with my SCBA or get snagged on debris; and (3) the radio doesn't become an obstacle should I ever need to use my PSS (my department issues a PSS that is carried in the right bellows pocket of the turnout pants).

I carry my radio in the inside pocket of turnout coat with microphone outside. Not the best arrangement but can take radio of charger quickly and put in pocket.

In anticipation of a "bail out system" we will be getting we have encouraged our members to wear the radio so it is on the Left side. Our bail out system has the bag on the Right side, something to consider as many wear the radion on the Right side. It took some time to get used to doing this believe it or not as I always wore it to the Right side for 20 plus years.

We have no SOP on how to wear but most wear it under the coat to the Left side on strap, mic on Right side sticking out of jacket or attached to collar. All portables for fireground are kept on a certain channel so there is no need to switch the channel. If a MAYDAY is called all firefighting switches to the last channel on the radio, in one motion you can turn the dial till it stops, no guesswork when doing this under the jacket if you are wearing it like this. Mayday stays on our original fireground. Takes some getting used to but we do this while drilling. We will do a Mayday, or just tell all members on fire ground switch to fire channel 2.

Open to any other ideas you guys may have.

Sage,

Have you experienced this or have any information of this occurring? My department's new SCBA have this function and some members use radio straps.

I personally have not had it happen yet, we're still training with them and trying to figure out their weaknesses. It was something that was brought up by one of the Chiefs training us on the equipment, but I haven't gotten enough time to re-create that problem myself. Let me know if you do.

I carry two radios, one village radio and one county fireground radio. I carry the fireground radio in my turnout coat radio pocket since I don't use that one as often; and I carry the village radio in the radio holster to the left side. Since I use the village radio more its in the holster so I can take it to EMS calls etc. If I have to put my turnout coat on the radio goes on under the coat and I run the mic through before I close it up. It took a couple trials to find what was most comfortable and whats less likely to get snagged on anything.

Here is the page from the Scott Manual; these warnings have been around for a long time in regards to the integrated PASS device. The Pak Tracker is incorporated in the main console of the PASS device so obviously the same warnings hold true.

The recommended minimum distance is 6 inches from the main PASS console.

I have not heard of any complaints in regards to PT malfunctions due to RFI but does not mean it cant happen.

My suggestion is to trying training with the radio and see if you have any problems or interference.

The Pak Tracker is a great tool that does not add any additional weight the SCBA but requires a good deal of familiarization and training on the Hand Held Reciever.

Stay Safe

Pak-Alert SE 7 Operation PT RFI PAGE.pdf

SageVigiles, firedude and sfrd18 like this

I personally have not had it happen yet, we're still training with them and trying to figure out their weaknesses. It was something that was brought up by one of the Chiefs training us on the equipment, but I haven't gotten enough time to re-create that problem myself. Let me know if you do.

Its funny you guys mention this. We just purchased a new Scott Eagle Attack TIC, and the salesman came out last Monday night to give us our training on the unit. We found out that our portable radios cause interference with this unit, it makes the screen freeze in some instances, and in others it goes fuzzy...BIG issue. The portables were about a foot away from the units when this happened. Is this a Scott Brand issue I wonder?

We keep ours in the radio pocket on the turnout coats, and we also have the mic clip attachment above the pocket to keep the mic from falling and dangling. My biggest thing is the entanglement issue, I used to use the leather radio case with strap and just clipped the mic to the strap near my shoulder and this would always fall off and get caught on things.

Heres an idea for you air pack manufacturing people, start thinking of an integrated radio pocket on the straps of the air packs with mic pockets as well to protect the radio from damage and still be able to use easily enough. (Just make sure I get a percentage of the profits when you get rich from my idea!! :D )

Our TOG also has the "radio pocket" on the left chest with the mic tab above it.. One problem I have is the way my scott pack strap comes down its directly over the radio pocket and the mic tab making acess to the radio almost impossible. Anyone else run into this problem?