Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BFD1054

2 Skydivers Killed at Skydive The Ranch in Gardiner

19 posts in this topic

There goes any thoughts I had of doing it...

thats for sure! R.I.P crash victims.
Westfield12 and sfrd18 like this

There goes any thoughts I had of doing it...

John, my wife and I went skydiving there a few years ago for my birthday. When anyone says they've went or they are going, it's usually to SkyDive The Ranch.

You can't beat the thrill and feeling of it. Unfortunately, like with anything else, accidents happen.

RIP to the victims. My heart goes out to their family, friends, other instructors and anyone who witnessed this.

Westfield12 likes this

Sorry to read of this. They were in operation today as I had seen a few landing. Rest in peace

There is a known risk with this type of activity. Of course it is sad anytime someone loses their life doing any activity. My heart goes out to the family & friends of the victims. Overall, it is a pretty safe activity. There are more deaths associated with other recreational activities & even during everyday life. I know that this incident will prevent some people, who wanted to go skydiving, from actually going now, but if you look at the odds, now is probably the time to go do it. It is the same as when people decide not to fly on an airplane because there was a recent crash, the odds are in your favor to fly right after a plane crash.

Scheduled to go there next month. Still Planning on it.

Running INTO a burning structure is probably 1000 times more dangerous. Just Sayin'

ny10570 and JetPhoto like this

Scheduled to go there next month. Still Planning on it.

Running INTO a burning structure is probably 1000 times more dangerous. Just Sayin'

DO IT, you will not regret it!

SkyDive the Ranch is an awesome place with great staff and relaxed atmosphere. As i said in my earlier post, my wife took me for my birthday a few years ago and i absolutely loved it. If its something you only do once or you go on to get certified, its definately something to put on your "bucket list."

Hell, my father paid for my mother to go for her 65th Birthday lol!

If you have any doubts, ill let ya watch my video or my mothers.

Just a word of advice; do all of the paperwork online before you get there. This way you'll be basically ready to go when you arrive for your scheduled jump.

Have a blast and oh, just remember to BREATHE lol!

Edited by BFD1054
ny10570 likes this

I agree with BFD1054, I went skydiving with my friend as a graduation present to myself from high school and it was one of best experiences I have ever had. Freefalling for about a minute, then flying around on a chute for a couple more until we landed.

If you do it, make sure you get the video with it, it was totally worth it.

I feel bad for the wife of the 49 year old though, in another article I read, it stated that she "convinced her husband" to go skydiving that day. To live with that on your shoulders must be horrific.

RIP

BFD1054 and x4093k like this

The overwhelming majority of my jumps were at the Ranch. Top notch staff and very professional. Have a great time.

Edited by ny10570
BFD1054 likes this

An instructor’s neck injury from the jolt as their parachute opened may have caused the sky-diving accident Friday that killed Chappaqua real-estate investor David Winoker along with the instructor, Plattekill Police Chief Joe Ryan said Monday.

The instructor, 25-year-old Alexander Chulsky of Brooklyn, had trauma to his neck that may have resulted from a “significant jolt” from opening the chute, Ryan said.

“What we know right now, preliminarily, is that there was some sort of condition that caused him to be incapacitated,” Ryan told The Journal News/LoHud.com.

http://www.lohud.com/article/20120619/NEWS02/306190069/Chute-jolt-suspected-sky-diving-deaths?odyssey=mod%7Cnewswell%7Ctext%7CFrontpage%7Cs&nclick_check=1

So this poor guy plummeted to his death with an uncon instructor strapped to his back? Did the chute even deploy? How horrifying.

According to the article, the chute deployed normally but then started spinning and such.

That's horrific. Its pretty common for a chute to not deploy 100%. Collapsed cells or a tangled line are easily fixed by a few tugs on your controls. Unadressed they could easily lead to an accelerated descent.

BFD1054 likes this

LoHud is reporting that:

Authorities say they now believe two skydivers plunged to their deaths in upstate New York last week after the helmet worn by a first-time jumper struck his instructor in the throat, incapacitating him.

http://www.lohud.com/article/20120621/NEWS02/306210023/Helmet-hit-eyed-cause-skydive-deaths-Chappaqua-man-instructor?odyssey=mod|mostview

Sad that a piece of equipment that is intended to save lives may have done the opposite!

BFD1054 likes this

There is a known risk with this type of activity. Of course it is sad anytime someone loses their life doing any activity. My heart goes out to the family & friends of the victims. Overall, it is a pretty safe activity. There are more deaths associated with other recreational activities & even during everyday life. I know that this incident will prevent some people, who wanted to go skydiving, from actually going now, but if you look at the odds, now is probably the time to go do it. It is the same as when people decide not to fly on an airplane because there was a recent crash, the odds are in your favor to fly right after a plane crash.

Statistically speaking, The odds are no more or less favorable right after an accident.

ny10570 and BFD1054 like this

LoHud is reporting that:

Authorities say they now believe two skydivers plunged to their deaths in upstate New York last week after the helmet worn by a first-time jumper struck his instructor in the throat, incapacitating him.

http://www.lohud.com/article/20120621/NEWS02/306210023/Helmet-hit-eyed-cause-skydive-deaths-Chappaqua-man-instructor?odyssey=mod|mostview

Sad that a piece of equipment that is intended to save lives may have done the opposite!

The helmets don't have brims. Without the helmet it would have been his skull.