prucha25

FDNY Paramedic and Distinguished EMTBravo Member NY10570 Condolences

102 posts in this topic

Wow. This is devastating. I haven't been visiting the site, another member told me about this today and I was shocked. We've lost an excellent member of our community.

Thoughts and prayers, Rest in Peace, Len.

(I apologize that a tribute on the front page was not posted as I am only learning of this now and cannot edit the front page for the time being)

Very saddened by this news - from those that i know that knew him, there has been nothing but good to say. Reflecting on awful events like this i often think of this quote:

"In the final analysis, the question of why bad things happen to good people transmutes itself into some very different questions, no longer asking why something happened, but asking how we will respond, what we intend to do now that it happened."

At work i'll strive to be a better provider, think twice about being grumpy when a run comes over during meal or for something that seems trivial. At home, ill take special care to make sure those close to me know i love them. Thats the least i can do.

RIP Paramedic Joyner and thank you for all that you did in the short time you were here.

Edited by Goose
210, BFD1054, sueg and 6 others like this

Very saddened by this news - from those that i know that knew him, there has been nothing but good to say. Reflecting on awful events like this i often think of this quote:

"In the final analysis, the question of why bad things happen to good people transmutes itself into some very different questions, no longer asking why something happened, but asking how we will respond, what we intend to do now that it happened."

At work i'll strive to be a better provider, think twice about being grumpy when a run comes over during meal or for something that seems trivial. At home, ill take special care to make sure those close to me know i love them. Thats the least i can do.

RIP Paramedic Joyner and thank you for all that you did in the short time you were here.

Just wanted to say a few words about the wake yesterday and the funeral today. All comments in this post are my own thoughts and comments and do not reflect my professional agencies/departments.

I wanted to thank the FDNY community and all other departments that were involved with the ceremonies today and yesterday. I thought both the wake and funeral service were very well organized and went very smoothly. Both had excellent turnouts. It was a great send of for Lenny and was great to see how many people came out to celebrate his legacy and to support his family during this very hard time. Having known Lenny for several years, I would expect nothing else of his friends and the people that knew him and worked with him.

I was amazed at how welcoming and friendly the FDNY community was. We invited them into the PFD HQ after the wake yesterday and had a "little" reception for the family and friends. I can not even begin to count how many FDNY members came up to PFD members and introduced themselves and thanked them for letting the FDNY into their house and treating them like family. Everyone was just so happy to be surrounded by people that also knew and enjoyed knowing Lenny. Today in NYC they returned the favor. It was truly an incredible display of the amazing sense of brotherhood and sisterhood that makes what we do so special.

RIP Lenny. You will be greatly missed but more important your legacy will be greatly honored.

Edited by PFDRes47cue

I was with PFDescue47 today at the services. The FDNY has always been great during the tough times after loss of a loved member of the service. Unfortunately they are so great at times like this due all the practice they have had over the years. They were excellent in including members of Pleasantville Volunteer Fire Department, and Pleasantville Volunteer Ambulance Corps in the services last night and today. I recognized some faces last night and today from jobs in the Bronx, and I was glad to see that everyone had great memories of Lenny, it's a great reflection of the man he was. Even FDNY Commissioner Sal Cassano's speech at the church was spot on, describing Lenny and all his great qualities. Boston EMS sent their Honor Guard,as well as representatives of Mountain Rescue Aspen, and the turnout at the church was awesome. One LT mentioned it was the largest funerals she had seen in 10 years. As the family left the church we were 2 deep for almost two complete city blocks. Lining up as the family left the church:

churchpost-917-0-27505300-1343953752.jpg

Lenny, until we meet again.

Edited by grumpyff

The turnout yesterday was nothing short of amazing. There are estimates of anywhere from 600-1100 members. Multiple members from CDU said it was the largest non LODD funeral they have ever seen ( FIRE and EMS). Either way the sea of blue stretched 4 city blocks shoulder to shoulder including intersections.

RIP Lenny. Thoughts and prayers go out to the family.

I personally want to thank FDNY and Pleasantville FD for keeping Pleasantville VAC included. The turnout and speakers was amazing. RIP Lenny

Thank you to PFD for having us and having some of Lenny's favorite beer available to everyone (Captain Lawrence's Freshchester). The turnout was nothing short of amazing for both ceremonies, and it made me incredibly proud to have known him, and to be a part of FDNY.

I didn't really get to take in just how big the lineup was until the procession was leaving, but even then everything went so quickly it was hard to appreciate it from my vantage point. Still, I think it was a great send off and a true showing of brotherhood.

All that said, writing a eulogy for a friend has to be the most stressful thing I've ever done. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

Lenny's ashes were laid to rest over the weekend. I will not say where, as it is not my place to do so, however his parents/family did a wonderful job of getting together friends of his from several different walks to join them in the ceremony. It was a beautiful day, and a beautiful setting for such an event.

Having been through all this, it still doesn't feel real. I think about you every day man.