Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sailr322

Amber Alert *HOAX* - Newburgh NY 9/5/12

12 posts in this topic

The following is from the New York State Police:

The City of Newburgh Police has activated the New York State Amber Alert and is investigating a CONFIRMED child abduction that occurred at South Jr High School, 33 Monument Street, in Newburgh, NY at about 3:50pm on 9/5/12.

The CHILD, is a black female approximately 5 years old with long, black hair. She is approximately 3 feet tall. She was last seen wearing a short sleeve bring pink shirt.

The SUSPECT, is a Hispanic male. This is one of TWO suspects.

The SUSPECT, is a Hispanic male with long, black hair. The suspect was last seen wearing a black shirt and black fitted baseball cap. The second suspect is light skinned.

The VEHICLE, has been identified as a black or dark colored pickup truck with possible green writing on it.

Two Hispanic males, one with long black hair, grabbed and forced the child into the truck. Suspect held his hand over the child's mouth to stop screaming. Anyone with information on this abduction is asked to call the City of Newburgh Police at (866) N Y S-AMBER or dial 911 to provide information on a report or sighting.

Everyone out there let's keep an eye out for these two and safely bring this girl home.

I recieved a follow up alert cancelling this AMBER alert this morning

kj15 likes this

http://midhudsonnews.com/News/2012/September/06/AmberAlert_cancelled-06Sep12.htm

NEWBURGH – The State Police have terminated their Amber Alert concerning a report of a possibly kidnapped girl in Newburgh because of the “unique circumstances” of the alert, specifically that no identified child has been reported missing.

Troopers said, though, that Newburgh City Police are continuing their investigation into the case.

City Police Wednesday activated the New York State Amber Alert and is investigating a confirmed child abduction that occurred at South Junior High School at 33 Monument Street in Newburgh at 3:50 p.m.

The child is reported to be a black female, about five years old, with long black hair. She is about three feet talk and was last seen wearing a short sleeve bright pink shirt.

Two suspects, both said to be Hispanic men, are being sought. They are said to have forced the child into a black or dark pickup truck with possible green writing on it.

Anyone with information is asked to call the police at 845-561-3131 or 911.

It was a hoax?

It would appear so, from what I last saw they were not elaborating though.

Better safe then sorry i know the amber alert was cancelled

I don't know if you could call it a hoax, more like little kids who didn't understand the importance of what they were saying. The police went back and interviewed the children again and they had the same story, but this time one of the little girls said that the same men followed her home another day, and then broke down the door to get inside so they could get her, which was clearly untrue.

Does anyone know how long the girl was reported to be missing before the Amber Alert was issued? Not being familiar with this or any national standards is their a certain amount of time that must have passed before one can be issued? Do the police need to have a certain amount of credible information and/or evidence to issue one? I feel that there must be some type of standard, but again not being familiar with it I am not sure. Hoping someone might be able to answer this.

Does anyone know how long the girl was reported to be missing before the Amber Alert was issued? Not being familiar with this or any national standards is their a certain amount of time that must have passed before one can be issued? Do the police need to have a certain amount of credible information and/or evidence to issue one? I feel that there must be some type of standard, but again not being familiar with it I am not sure. Hoping someone might be able to answer this.

Amber alerts can (and I believe this is an example) be issued immediately upon receipt of information regarding a child abduction, kidnapping or even custodial interference. There are standards but they are designed to promote early activation of the system to get the child home and are not anything like the requirements for a warrant or anything else that takes time, detail, and evidence.

Once it was determined that this was not a credible report, the alert was canceled.

I agree with helicopper, the only standard in regards to the amount of information needed, is that it must be sufficent enough information where public involvement would do more good then harm (ie, the information can't be so vauge (no descrip, no vehicle, no direction of travel) that people are calling 911 every time they see a car with a kid in it go by)

Also, does anyone have anything further? Did the kids playing make this up, did the adult that called it in make it up? Any charges being filed? Why no follow up information from the police?

Edited by v85

Amber alerts can (and I believe this is an example) be issued immediately upon receipt of information regarding a child abduction, kidnapping or even custodial interference. There are standards but they are designed to promote early activation of the system to get the child home and are not anything like the requirements for a warrant or anything else that takes time, detail, and evidence.

Once it was determined that this was not a credible report, the alert was canceled.

I agree with helicopper, the only standard in regards to the amount of information needed, is that it must be sufficent enough information where public involvement would do more good then harm (ie, the information can't be so vauge (no descrip, no vehicle, no direction of travel) that people are calling 911 every time they see a car with a kid in it go by)

Also, does anyone have anything further? Did the kids playing make this up, did the adult that called it in make it up? Any charges being filed? Why no follow up information from the police?

AMBER Alert Guidelines

A Law Enforcement Agency with an inquiry about an AMBER Alert can contact the NYSP Special Victims Unit through the State Police 24/7 Communications Section at 518-457-6811.

The New York State AMBER Alert Plan can be activated when an investigating law enforcement agency has reasonable cause to believe that:

1. An abduction of a child (under the age of 18) has occurred, and
  2. The child is believed to be in danger of serious bodily harm or death, either due to the actions of another or due to a proven mental or physical condition.

Even if formal activation criteria have been met, activation may be impractical if available information is not specific enough and/or an extended period of time passed since the disappearance.

For example, an AMBER Alert specifying involvement of a white van (without a license plate number) could actually hinder an investigation by causing the public to inundate police agencies with possible sightings.

Notes:

1. "Reasonable Cause to Believe" means that from eyewitness accounts, OR by eliminating other possibilities, your investigation leads you to believe that a child has been abducted.
  2. Familial abductions qualify only if a child is endangered by the actions of the abducting family member.
  3. Whenever an AMBER Alert request does not meet activation criteria, requesting agencies are referred to other NYSP investigative resources and to the NYS DCJS Missing Persons Clearinghouse (MPC) for possible issuance of a Missing Child/College Student Alert.