Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firedude

South Salem FD New Ladder?

18 posts in this topic

I heard a rumor that South Salem FD is in the process of spec'ing out a new ladder. Is this true? Any details?

EmsFirePolice likes this

I heard a rumor that South Salem FD is in the process of spec'ing out a new ladder. Is this true? Any details?

They were looking at the LI Mega Show.

firedude likes this

Hmmm. They don't even have a ladder truck yet. It will be a good use if it is true.

Like Westchester really needs another unstaffed/understaffed ladder.

Sailr322, newsbuff and x129K like this

With Ridgefield less than 5 miles away with a staffed tower ladder why again does SSFD need a ladder?

With Ridgefield less than 5 miles away with a staffed tower ladder why again does SSFD need a ladder?

Ridgefield is staffed with how many? 2, 3 guys? You dont think SSFD can muster up that many? How many runs do they do a year? How many workers?

If they cant staff it then I agree this is a bad move.

First of all, I believe that thus far, it is only speculation if South Salem is actually exploring a Ladder/Quint.

Secondly, in the years I have been at my job, I can not recall an instance where the SSFD did not have manpower to cover an incident.

Lastly, I don't see how all of you armchair quarterbacks can say they don't need an aerial device of some sort. Let's assume there's a fire at Four Winds on Route 35.

Ridgefield - 6.08 miles away

Bedford Hills - 8.65 miles away

Somers - 10.98 miles away

Katonah - 6.51 miles away

Croton Falls - 6.46 miles away

You're looking at no less than a 10 minute ride, not taking into consideration travel time to the FD, traffic issues, weather, etc.

If they're doing it, I say good for them.

But I do agree there are some out there that don't need to exist...

BigBuff, Mofire24 and IzzyEng4 like this

Ridgefield is staffed with how many? 2, 3 guys? You dont think SSFD can muster up that many? How many runs do they do a year? How many workers?

If they cant staff it then I agree this is a bad move.

Ridgefield has career staffing minimum of 6 or 7 and 45-50 vols on the fire side.

Ridgefield has career staffing minimum of 6 or 7 and 45-50 vols on the fire side.

6 or 7 coming in on the ladder would be a great response so in this case theymay not need their own Ladder if an automatic m/a system was in place.

Also if I remember correctly Ridgefield staffs 2 ambulances. So if they're 2 medicals deep that 6-7 can become 2-3 really quick. Not so easy to rely on them for automatic aid, especially considering how busy they are for a small town.

Ridgefield career guys staff 2 engines and 1 or 2 ambulances based on the shift staffing levels. Minimum staffing per shift is 6. The volunteers run an engine, rescue, ladder, and 2 tankers.

First of all, I believe that thus far, it is only speculation if South Salem is actually exploring a Ladder/Quint.

Secondly, in the years I have been at my job, I can not recall an instance where the SSFD did not have manpower to cover an incident.

Lastly, I don't see how all of you armchair quarterbacks can say they don't need an aerial device of some sort. Let's assume there's a fire at Four Winds on Route 35.

Ridgefield - 6.08 miles away

Bedford Hills - 8.65 miles away

Somers - 10.98 miles away

Katonah - 6.51 miles away

Croton Falls - 6.46 miles away

You're looking at no less than a 10 minute ride, not taking into consideration travel time to the FD, traffic issues, weather, etc.

If they're doing it, I say good for them.

But I do agree there are some out there that don't need to exist...

Couldn't of said it better. It seems as though EVERY time a subject like this comes up, that someone has to make the comment of it being understaffed and all that. Half the time they are probably saying it to say it, clueless about the department. South Salem covers all of their calls thoroughly. A ladder would be a big plus for them, and I am sure it would serve them well..

As you stated above, if this is true (since firedude said a rumor.) good for them, I hope it serves them well..

Maybe when time comes and their department is getting a ladder, I'll write how understaffed it is and useless it will be, thats basically what was stated above. And how 5 people liked it, I don't know.

Edited by BigBuff

I was not trying to bash and my comments might be slightly dated, but I was basing them on: http://www.emtbravo.net/index.php/topic/44719-south-salem-working-fire-132011-discussion/

I've seen hundreds of depts that have or want to have a ladder company, but they still have work to do on the basics engine company operations.

There are hundreds of unmanned / undermanned apparatus in Westchester (in volunteer, combo and career depts) and a massive lack of basic capabilities. And at the same time we spend a lot of money for service, that in some places is very good and other places very poor.

I am sorry if that offends some people.

newsbuff, spin_the_wheel and Atv300 like this

I was not trying to bash and my comments might be slightly dated, but I was basing them on: http://www.emtbravo....011-discussion/

I've seen hundreds of depts that have or want to have a ladder company, but they still have work to do on the basics engine company operations.

There are hundreds of unmanned / undermanned apparatus in Westchester (in volunteer, combo and career depts) and a massive lack of basic capabilities. And at the same time we spend a lot of money for service, that in some places is very good and other places very poor.

Myself and Bnechis have disagreed or debated points of view and topics on many threads over the years on the Bravo...but he has nailed it with this statement. You cannot argue this statement.

Bnechis and Atv300 like this

Maybe they can get money from that dirtbag Vinny Forras, oh wait, this is a legit organization and in this country.

"Maybe they can get money from that dirtbag Vinny Forras, oh wait, this is a legit organization and in this country. "

?????

I was not trying to bash and my comments might be slightly dated, but I was basing them on: http://www.emtbravo....011-discussion/

Wow what a great comment you can insert county, department what ever you want. In my opinion that's the main reason for the under funding and under staffing duplication of service departments need to down size and combine services not expand the services they already can't support.

Bnechis likes this