Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JetPhoto

Former firefighter gets jail time for fatal crash

17 posts in this topic

Former Firefighter Timothy Johnson was on his way to his fire station when he rear-ended a car, killing a man

Saying Timothy Johnson still viewed himself as a victim, visiting Judge Paul Moon on Monday sentenced the former volunteer firefighter to nine months in jail -- the maximum term -- for his role in a fatal car crash.

“There’s been much said about your concern for public service and safety, but you turned those two concepts on their ear the night of July 16, 2010,” Judge Moon said in Ottawa County Common Pleas Court.

“The defendant was going 96 to 98 mph heading into an incorporated village. No public safety vehicle is ever reasonably permitted to drive at that speed,” the judge said. “What’s in the balance here? You’ve got the Graytown bowling alley [burning] and we’re trying to balance that with the lives of these two young people. Where’s the balance? It just simply doesn’t exist.”

http://www.firerescu...or-fatal-crash/

He would have avoided jail if he appologized? He didn't appologize?

Just curious: what was his level of training? Did he have FIerfightet 2 or Fire Officer? Had he taken EVOC? Not for nothing but if his training was up to standards perhaps he would have made better choices. Instead he created an unnecessary tragedy.

Ask me he got off easy!

Just curious: what was his level of training? Did he have FIerfightet 2 or Fire Officer? Had he taken EVOC? Not for nothing but if his training was up to standards perhaps he would have made better choices. Instead he created an unnecessary tragedy.

Ask me he got off easy!

I dont think the fire related training he has would have anything to do with what choices he made. If you ask me, the skill or better judgment of driving a personal vehicle doesnt come with fire department related training.

Edited by HubEng21

The training itself wouldn't necessarily cause him to make different choices, but the simple fact that one opts for this sort of training may be correlated with a higher likelihood of them making more mature decisions (it demonstrates maturity and a sense of responsibility). We seem to have a group of people in our society that think whenever there is a problem that training is the answer, that it will change behavior (get caught DWI and the remedy is often to take a course and pay a fine). There is also a clear attitude that this is BS and the whole concept is thrown out because of this. Both sides fail to address the impact of the individual's will in it.

People who take things seriously have no problem drawing from professional training in their personal lives and vice-versa (isn't this part of what makes the volunteer system work well? The fact that there is a large body of knowledge within a department due to a varied professional knowledge-base?). On the other hand, people who know it all and don't care will take very little out of training and draw from it in their real lives even less.

The message I take away from this is how egotistical, selfish, and self important this guy's actions were. The guy was hell-bent on making the truck and he was going to do whatever he had to do to get there in time. I'm sure it wasn't the first time. And how many guys like this are there out there?

Mr. Johnson, a father of four with no prior criminal record, had agreed to give up being a volunteer firefighter, although he planned to remain on the fire brigade at Davis-Besse nuclear power station where he works.

OK so even with a manslaughter charge he can continue working @ a nuclear power station on a fire brigade interesting

I know more than 1 guy with that "hell bent' attitude towards responding to calls. I can even recall a few years ago, I was involved in a converstion with a Vol. FF from Long Island who told me he does not use blue lights on his POV because sometimes he drives a "bit crazy" (his words-not mine) while responding and would not want the public to know who he was affiliated with.

When you are dealing with a mind set like that, training is not going to correct it. The problem is a lack of common sense.

If anyone here could devise a way to teach common sense, they would be a very rich man.

Edited by 10512
BFD1054 likes this

While the sad part of this story is one life has been ended, one life destroyed and countless others changed forever a positive can still come of this tragedy. We should strive to make this story a teachable moment. Impress on those who feel that those lights create a force-field that by having an accident enroute they not only never make it to the original call but strip that call of resources while someone has to rescue them and their innocent victims.

jack10562 likes this

You hit the nail on the head, Joe.

One person acting out of control caused this tragic accident, there is no excuse for driving anywhere like that.

What is even more shocking is he apparently failed to accept responsibility for causing the accident in the first place.

He got off easy.

peterose313 and BFD1054 like this

“Ninety-eight mph going through the most dangerous intersection in Ottawa County,” Mr. Huffman said. “There was a firefighter who testified that he wouldn’t do 30 mph through that intersection. This guy wasn’t even wearing a seatbelt.”

So if another ff says he wouldn't even do 30 mph through that intersection, I'm curious to know how Mr. Johnson can justify doing 98+ mph is perfectly acceptable in his eyes, all while NOT wearing a seatbelt.

Seems to me like the judge made the right decision by getting this guy off the road as he is a liability to himself and everyone on the road at the times he is behind the wheel.

I sincerly hope this proves to be a lesson. This wasn't a case of a young kid rather a father of 4 at the age of 43. Slow down...think about what you are doing. If it is a false alarm you didn't miss anything. If it is the "big one" chances are it will still be there when you get there but if you drive like an ***hole you put everyone at risk. I agree with Jack he got off easy not that more time would bring back the deceased but damn it people have to learn we are in the business of saving and protecting lives not taking them and destroying families including yours.

BFD1054 and Remember585 like this

It's also rare that things like this occur the first time. Chances are he did this before. Chances are somebody in his department knew about it. So my lesson to the leadership out there is show some and police your people. Have zero tolerance for idiotic driving. No where does it say you have to authorize those blue lights. It's incredibly delicate for someone who needs to get elected every year to dole out discipline but surely niping things in the bud can possibly prevent tragedies like this.

BFD1054, ex-commish and peterose313 like this

His actions (reckless driving) are totally unacceptable while operating any emergency vehicle, let alone his private vehicle. New York State Vehicle & Traffic Law is clear as I’m sure the V & T law is in Ohio.

New York Laws > Vehicle & Traffic > Title 7 > Article 23 > § 1104. Authorized emergency vehicles

§ 1104. Authorized emergency vehicles. (a) The driver of an authorized emergency vehicle, when involved in an emergency operation, may exercise the privileges set forth in this section, but subject to the conditions herein stated.

b. The driver of an authorized emergency vehicle may:

1. Stop, stand or park irrespective of the provisions of this title;

2. Proceed past a steady red signal, a flashing red signal or a stop sign, but only after slowing down as may be necessary for safe operation;

3. Exceed the maximum speed limits so long as he does not endanger life or property;

4. Disregard regulations governing directions of movement or turning in specified directions.

c. Except for an authorized emergency vehicle operated as a police vehicle or bicycle, the exemptions herein granted to an authorized emergency vehicle shall apply only when audible signals are sounded from any said vehicle while in motion by bell, horn, siren, electronic device or exhaust whistle as may be reasonably necessary, and when the vehicle is equipped with at least one lighted lamp so that from any direction, under normal atmospheric conditions from a distance of five hundred feet from such vehicle, at least one red light will be displayed and visible.

(d) An authorized emergency vehicle operated as a police, sheriff or deputy sheriff vehicle may exceed the maximum speed limits for the purpose of calibrating such vehicles' speedometer. Notwithstanding any other law, rule or regulation to the contrary, a police, sheriff or deputy sheriff bicycle operated as an authorized emergency vehicle shall not be prohibited from using any sidewalk, highway, street or roadway during an emergency operation.

(e) The foregoing provisions shall not relieve the driver of an authorized emergency vehicle from the duty to drive with due regard for the safety of all persons, nor shall such provisions protect the driver from the consequences of his reckless disregard for the safety of others.

(f) Notwithstanding any other law, rule or regulation to the contrary, an ambulance operated in the course of an emergency shall not be prohibited from using any highway, street or roadway; provided, however, that an authority having jurisdiction over any such highway, street or roadway may specifically prohibit travel thereon by ambulances if such authority shall deem such travel to be extremely hazardous and would endanger patients being transported thereby.

The bottom line is his actions were reckless and with total disregard for the safety of others. While responding in his private vehicle he should have been following all the rules of the road. The point is clear regardless if you are operating an authorized emergency vehicle or your private vehicle responding to an emergency, you are going to be held accountable for you

Edited by LTFIREPRG
PEMO3 and JetPhoto like this

Like already mentioned by a few posters here, its about the maturity level and what your reasons are for being a volunteer. I am sickened to say this but most volunteers join for the glory, the front page picture, the awards ceremonies and pats on the back, the chance to wear that T-Shirt with all sorts of FD logo's and one-liners, and the real reason for going to the call is forgotten. My reason for responding to calls is the chance to help someone in need. I take the training so that when the pager goes off, I can do smething to help that person. The only thing I care about is getting help to them as soon as possible, filling the seats on the engine and responding to the call, regardless if my a** is in one of those seats or not. If someone else is in the truck and its rolling, fine, I could care less if I am on the truck, I just care that help is on its way. I RARELY turn on my blue light and quite honestly I dont even know if it still works. I drive to the station like I would for meeting night, unless I am closer to the scene and no other officers have called on air yet, then I will call on air and respond to the scene to do a size-up, and even then, as a line officer responding to the scene I still drive with due regard and only use my light on the main roads.

Too many people let their adrenaline take charge of their bodies instead of using their brains, their training, and common sense.

JM15 and PEMO3 like this

Just remember this my fellow vollies...........

If you drive like an 'Hole with a flashing blue light while in you POV when responding to a call, you're a 'Hole fireman driver.

If you drive to a call without a blue light flashing, then your just an 'Hole driver.

I rather be the the second, not the first cause I'll fit in with the other 'hole drivers out there and not make me a target as a fireman!!!

firemoose827 and JetPhoto like this

Just remember this my fellow vollies...........

If you drive like an 'Hole with a flashing blue light while in you POV when responding to a call, you're a 'Hole fireman driver.

If you drive to a call without a blue light flashing, then your just an 'Hole driver.

I rather be the the second, not the first cause I'll fit in with the other 'hole drivers out there and not make me a target as a fireman!!!

Or, and I know I'm going out on a limb here, just don't drive like an 'hole at all.

16fire5, firemoose827 and Danger like this