firedude

(Delivered) West Harrison, NY FD Engine

18 posts in this topic

State: New York

County: Westchester

City/Town/Municipality/Dept: West Harrison Volunteer Fire Department (Harrison Fire District #1)

Unit designation/identifier: Engine 266

Chassis & Body (or Aerial) Manufacturer and model: 2012 KME Predator Rescue Pumper

Pump size, tank size (water/foam), aerial type & length: 1500gmp/500gal

Estimated delivery date: Early October

Notes: Replacing Ex-R35 (http://www.emtbravo.net/index.php/topic/42456-west-harrison-fire-truck-fire/)

post-17100-0-75644800-1349395106.jpg

Photo From: http://westharrisonfd.org/

Edited by firedude
JetPhoto, EdAngiolillo and sfrd18 like this

Awesome! This is the engine that was built to replace R-35 after it was detroyed by an electrical fire? It looks very similar, except they are using Engine 266 instead of R-35.

First of all.. nice engine, and good luck.

Here is where the sh*t storm is going to start..... Why do departments in New York State continue to put front facing blue emergency lights on the front of there apparatus ???

Please don't tell me because it looks cool,....IT's AGAIST THE LAW !!!

With so many "sue happy" people out there I would stay far from it, a flashing blue light is for volunteer firefighters as a courtesy light only (New York State Vehicle Traffic Law Section 375)

Here is where the sh*t storm is going to start..... Why do departments in New York State continue to put front facing blue emergency lights on the front of there apparatus ???

With so many "sue happy" people out there I would stay far from it, a flashing blue light is for volunteer firefighters as a courtesy light only (New York State Vehicle Traffic Law Section 375)

While this true and I'm not going to argue with that, lets look at how many police departments throughout New York State have forward facing blue lights. Aside from that looks like a great new engine, I wish West Harrison the best of luck with it and I'll look for the announcement of a wet down.

Unlawful, yes. But sue under what theory?

Love the engine! Good luck with it WHFD. Another KME added to Westchester. This has to be atleast the 5th or 6th KME Predator. Looks like KME has found a popular chasis.

x4093k likes this

While this true and I'm not going to argue with that, lets look at how many police departments throughout New York State have forward facing blue lights. Aside from that looks like a great new engine, I wish West Harrison the best of luck with it and I'll look for the announcement of a wet down.

"While this true " ...two wrongs don't make it right.

"While this true " ...two wrongs don't make it right.

No, two wrongs definitely do not make it right, but people are always quick to bring up that XYZ fire department has forward facing blue lights, but you'll never hear someone say XYZ police department does too what about them.

x4093k likes this

Unlawful, yes. But sue under what theory?

I do not know if you can sue a local government for breaking the law, but the theoretical damage is future liability.

If they are involved in an MVA a smart lawyer will easily be able to prove the apparatus was at fault if it was operating as an emergency vehicle, since the blue light means it can not operate as an emergency vehicle.

Before it was legal for blue lights on police cars I did watch a lawyer argue in court that the cop who ticketed him for failure to yield did not have to yield because the blue lighted police car had no legal rights as an emergency vehicle. The court through out the ticket.

but you'll never hear someone say XYZ police department does too what about them.

Because it is legal for forward facing blue lights on police cars.
on the job likes this

On a seperate note, the apparatus manufactures will not deviate from NFPA 1901 without a signoff for liability and most spec's say the apparatus will meet all State & Federal legal requirements for motor vehicles.

I wonder how much liability falls on the manufacturer if the vehicle is in an accident and it has illegal lights?

on the job likes this

Far as I know the only ones in Canada that can have blue lights in either the front grille or roof light bar are police related forces, IE: RCMP, Town Police, CBSA, DNR, DFO.

I do not know if you can sue a local government for breaking the law, but the theoretical damage is future liability.

If they are involved in an MVA a smart lawyer will easily be able to prove the apparatus was at fault if it was operating as an emergency vehicle, since the blue light means it can not operate as an emergency vehicle.

Before it was legal for blue lights on police cars I did watch a lawyer argue in court that the cop who ticketed him for failure to yield did not have to yield because the blue lighted police car had no legal rights as an emergency vehicle. The court through out the ticket.

Because it is legal for forward facing blue lights on police cars.

Since when in NYS is it legal for police to have forward facing blue lights? Forward facing blue is designated for volunteer fire POVs except of course in the city where they put it on the MTA busses. Its legal to have rear facing blue lights, but since when has it been legal to have forward facing?

firedude likes this

Since when in NYS is it legal for police to have forward facing blue lights? Forward facing blue is designated for volunteer fire POVs except of course in the city where they put it on the MTA busses. Its legal to have rear facing blue lights, but since when has it been legal to have forward facing?

I thought that when the PD finally got the blues, it included front, however in rechecking the regulation I found that was not the case. What was interesting is they did change the regulation again since 2011. That version added FD rear blue, but did not allow EMS (unless FD Based) to have it and now they allow it. THey also added the the Commish of DMV can determine the following:

The commissioner is authorized to promulgate rules and regulations relating to the use, placement, power and display of blue lights on a

police vehicle and fire vehicle.

In other words the state legislature is tired of the blue light issue.

You could file an Article 78, but you'd have to prove standing. It would be hard, but not impossible, as I can think of some potential avenues to pursue.

A "smart lawyer" couldn't make that case in this situation. There is a built-in, albeit unintentional, defense. Since forward facing blue lights are lawful in some situations in NYS (VFD's), as well as in much of the nations as a whole, there is no inherent danger associated with them. If there was, there would be tens of thousands of MVC's every single day across this nation.

In other words the state legislature is tired of the blue light issue.

Much like most of us are.

A good lawyer could argue that a blue light enhances safety especially at night. Here in California, only law enforcement can use blue lights. While part of this is so the public is aware when a LE vehicle rolling clde or running an enforcement stop, the blue lights get your attentioon for many reasons. If you are looking at 25 cars with brake lights lit, the set of blue flashing LED lights on a patrol car, grab your attention. In Nevada, Las Vegas allows and equips the fire rigs with red/blues...it really makes a difference. Therefore legality aside--red/blue lights add to recognition from motorists and helps avoid collisions when rolling code. Give it everything you can--red/blue/amber/white...anything that makes you stand out, why not?