v85

Transcare "Emergency Response Unit" Responding In Manhattan?

15 posts in this topic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mboKUdpkk34]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mboKUdpkk34

According to the description and vehicle it is a Transcare Emergency Response Unit; but it is not marked in any standard TransCare graphics, and is running code 3 in New York City, where TransCare is strictly interfacility transports.

The only thing I can think of is some kind of people-mover either bringing EMTs to an MCI, or for nursing home evacuations/green-tag transport at MCI's...but if anyone could confirm anything it would help.

Also I wonder where it was going...the video didn't appear to be taken in the immediate aftermath of Hurricane Sandy and I don't think TransCare would be first due to a more "routine" incident

Edited by x635
Link fixed
EmsFirePolice likes this

Transcare does do 911 in areas of the Bronx and i believe Brooklyn My guess is the vehicle is used for crew or equipment transport to vehicles that may be broken down or having emergencies.

It won't let me post the link...just type transcare emergency response unit into youtube or look in the EMS vehicles section.

It could very well be fleet maint. related...

I know FDNY has Emergency Field Crews, that have RLS on their vehicles

It could very well be fleet maint. related...

Fleet maintenance for an ambulance is not an emergency response, whatsoever.

It could have scuba divers or have kryptonite. I'm curous too, and I'm sure someone on here knows and will put the speculation to rest shortly. It could just simply be a supervisor's vehicle or a flycar. Just because it's a van doesn't mean anything. Organ transports are increasingly being picked up by commercial EMS agencies as contract add-ons. Also, Cambridge, MA uses Ford Econoline vans as Paramedic flycars. It's not common but not unheard of.

"Emergency Response Unit" means nothing, it's just lettering indicating that it is an emergency response unit. A drive through the metro area could show an emergency vehicle with a variety of lettering and descriptors.

It won't let me post the link...just type transcare emergency response unit into youtube or look in the EMS vehicles section.

The link should be fixed and working, and for most browsers, the video can be player right from this thread. No?

I thought transcare ran the 911 units for NYU and Beth Israel.

The amount of supposition here is astounding. Not only does Transcare hold numerous 911 contracts with numerous hospitals throughout the city, it also does do interfacility transports (which anyone knows can be an emergency in itself) but no regulation or rule states that a person having a medical emergency has to call 911 and no regulation or rule states that Transcare has to call 911 for said emergency, no matter your definition of 'emergency'.

No, I do not know the reason for the vehicle, but I wouldn't be so pompous as to go on a 'public' forum and start assuming it was 'just go red lights and sirens'. How hard would it have been to pick up the phone, call Transcare and ask?

And yes, I get that this is a forum where questions are 'asked out of curiousity', however I wouldn't assume or even put out that a company/department/Squad would allow or have/utilize emergency lights on a vehicle without an emergency reason. Thousands of people in NYC bypass the 911 system every day (Hatzolah and the Voluntary EMS units as two rather big examples) so don't assume that an emergency isn't what the vehicle is going to. Flycars come in many shapes and sizes.

I think that is the organ van...

Someone on the video comments said it could be Organ Transport; I never knew TransCare did that. I also thought most Organ Transport vehicles were marked as such.

Because "commercial outfits" are the only ones who abuse RLS? Rather broad accusation.

They are not the only ones, but they are the bulk of the problem.

99subi likes this

They are not the only ones, but they are the bulk of the problem.

Is this a factpinion?

TransCare does in fact run a "Organ Donor Team". TransCare utilizes a Ford, Expedtion/Flex/Explorer and a van for this program.

The team runs all over the Metro area and has been seen as far North as Vassar Brothers in Poughkeepsie. The team runs in conjunction with a lot of the hospitals in the city and Westchester area.

As far as running lights and sirens anyone in the Emergency Services knows what it takes and how time sensitive harvesting organs can be. It is rather ignorant for anyone to say that ANY company is abusing the lights and sirens until you know for a fact what the units job description is.

I have attached a picture of one of the vehicles, they all have the same exact sceme.

If anyone would like facts and not opinions or "factpinions" (I like that one) please let me know.

There is also a little info here> http://www.inside-healthcare.com/index.php/featured-reports/1095-transcare-corporation

post-18386-0-59549300-1368558932.jpg

Edited by x1243