Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Truckie 1075

Somers New Rescue-Are The Stairs Needed?

26 posts in this topic

what's with the stairway to heven on the back? whats the need/point/use?

once on top i believe that there are giant coffin sized compartments along the side for storage

Those stairs are common on Rescue 1's trucks.

The stairs are an alternative to the more common ladders secured to the rear of the boxes. There are pros and cons. The biggest pro being safety to access the top mounted compartments as previously stated. Rescue 20 is spec'd to have hopper for speedy dry that gets filled from the top. The stairs makes filling it easier.

One of the biggest cons in the stairs are the compartment space you lose because the stairs are recessed. They do fold up for some storage space.

WHY..... #-o

If they will sell it and spec it WE will buy it..... ](*,)

truck commities all around the county never stop amazing me with the stuff they will put on a rig.....

WHY..... #-o 

If they will sell it and spec it WE will buy it..... ](*,) 

truck commities all around the county never stop amazing me with the stuff they will put on a rig.....

Care to elaborate?

Your multiple negative comments this morning aren't very well explained.

You fail to say why you don't like this feature. This "stuff" is actually a quite popular feature, and appears on heavy rescues in major cities such as Baltimore, MD.

This feature provides a extremly safe and effective access to large rooftop compartments. Many heavy rescues have rooftop compartments that are accessible via a "pool-type" ladder, which makes it very dangerous for a FF to access the roof, and much more to bring up/down equipment. The roof-compartments are very large, and are typically used to store haz mat containment booms, extra equipment, etc not always used often but when needed is needed.

Please note that there are also compartments built into the stairs. Also, the roof makes a great "observation point" for an Incident command post.

I think the stair feature is a VERY safe, efficient, and progressive spec.

Looks like a waste to have all the "Staircase" nonsense when you could just have a reqular walk in rescue body, with more comartment space, and not have to scale the roof of the truck in order to get your tools and equipment. You also talk of using this rig as a rehab unit, a walk in back with A/C would be better than a rooftop. What are you gonna put lounge chairs out up there and get a sun tan? Look out point for command post :roll: are you kiding me?.. hold on let me report to the comand post, ladder the rescue truck guys , I gotta talk to the chief.. #-o

And a speedy dry hopper? that's a good one.. you may as well put a spreader on the back so you don't even have to get out.

Bottom line is you got people specing Fire trucks that couldn't even spec out their own car. It's a waste

First off, if you do not tone down the negativty and intensity of your comments, more of your posts will begin to be deleted.

The bottom line here is really that you are out of touch with modern-day fire apparatus, and don't seem to fully understand these features. A Speedy-Dry hopper is a VERY popular option, and is becoming standard on most rescue trucks nowadays. This is a more effiecient way to use and dispense the product into buckets to be spread, instead of storing it in hard-to-handle individual bags or buckets which take up more compartment room. As for a command post on the roof, this can give an IC a better vantage point,giving him/her a different persepctive and allowing him/her to view more of the scene with less obstructions. Same reason why almost all modern-day command posts include a elevated camera. Getting back to the stairs themselves, you really don't lose that much compartment space at all....in fact, you probaly actually gain better space layout, and again have better and safer access to the huge compartments up top.

And where did anybody say anything about rehab??

But since you brought it up, this rig seems like it will have a spacious open Spartan cab with room for members to soak up the AC or heat in the back as applicable.

Since you seem to have a very-closed minded and non-progressive attitude about fire apparatus spec'ing, you must still think riding on the tailboard is a important feature. Start thinking outside the box.

In addition to my post just above this, here are some visual aids:

(Photos taken by me, the Rescue is Radnor, PA a 2004 Seagrave/Rescue 1)

TBA5.jpg

The stairs themselves

TBA4.jpg

Speedy dry hopper fill point

TBA3.jpg

Shovels, rakes, and assorted hand tools

TBA2.jpg

EMS and rope rescue equipment

TBA1.jpg

Stairs folded up with additional storage also accesible from the sides

TBA6.jpg

Officers side rear compartment. You really don't lose much space because of the stairs at all. Note the button to dispense the speedy-dry in portions, and the spout is right under the compartment by the bumper. Also note how you can't see where the chute is bringing it from the hopper.

I have seen a couple trucks with the stairs to the top and form what i have seen you don't lose any space, but like stated you actually gain some more compartment space. Liek it was also said it is a lot safer then climbing a ladder to the top to get equipment and bring it down. The pictures of the rescue you posted show how spacious it is even with the stairs. I know Pierce has an option for the stairs that come down to climb to the top but thats probably a pretty penny to get as a feature. The speedy dry hoppers are an awesome feature because you can carry more speedy dry now and it takes up less space. From what I've seen you lose space with a walk in because you lose depth of compartment space and the compartments arent usually as tall. Face it we're in 2005 and the technology keeps advancing making trucks more spacious and safer. Who knows what they'll come up with next but i'm thinking it will be something useful. And it was mentioned by a hot head saying dept's waste money with features....Hmmm last time i checked depts would do that to give the best truck to their members then they can. Are some features not always needed...you bet but hey if my dept had the budget for every little feature we could get i'd hope they would if it would benefit the members

I know Pierce has an option for the stairs that come down to climb to the top but thats probably a pretty penny to get as a feature.

I've seen the retractable ladder/stairs that Pierce has. I feel it's clumsy to bring up and down on level ground. If the rig is parked on an incline it makes it even more difficult. It's also very difficult to operate with one person since it has to be pulled out and down.

i think that the stairs are a i great idea cause it makes it easier to get up and down for the roof top storage. Squad 67 in East Fishkill has the stairs on the rig and underneath then they have a pump panel it is a great idea. Rescue 1 also puts canopy on their truck to help make a rehab area.

So are they going to install a hose in the ceiling of the firehouse to fill the speedy dry Hopper? Hang on cap, I'll be right there, i'm going to the second floor of the rescue to get the ceiling hook. :-k Everybody thinks because they re-invented the wheel, it's better. Have fun with your flip up staircase,, I'm going to go and order an elevator on my next rig. Sorry you can't handle a little constuctive critisism. Deleting the post is easier right? [-o<

It is not just what people want on the rig it also a little group called OSHA. OSHA has a lot of rules and regs on what you have to put where and how a fireman is going to climb up and down a fire truck. A stair case is one of the easiest and safest ways to do that. A speed dry shoot is a great idea! We almost put it in our new rescue/pumper but we opted for more compartment space. It holds over 100 pounds of speedy dry. By the way you have less compartment space on a walk through then a box.

So are they going to install a hose in the ceiling of the firehouse to fill the speedy dry Hopper? Hang on cap, I'll be right there, i'm going to the second floor of the rescue to get the ceiling hook.  :-k  Everybody thinks because they re-invented the wheel, it's better. Have fun with your flip up staircase,, I'm going to go and order an elevator on my next rig. Sorry you can't handle a little constuctive critisism. Deleting the post is easier right? [-o<

No, FOLLOWING THE POSTED RULES of this forum is easier! Just because you don't like or agree with an idea doesn't mean you have to trash it or put it down the way you have been.

I can most certainly deal with your "criticism"...but it makes no

sense to me at all. And it's not even criticism, you're not even explaining rationally WHY something wouldn't work...you're just making nasty and mocking comments. Either you have quite a difficult time grasping a simple concept, or you are just looking to attack someone or something here. That elevator comment proves it all....how does that validate your position that the stairs are a poor idea????? So far, haven't heard ONE explanation of your position, only those ridiculous comments you have been making.

Let me try and explain this again......Bring the bag of Speed-E-Dry up the stairs, rip open top, dump in hopper. Done it before, takes two seconds. You can free up compartment space normally taken by bags or buckets, and hold a lot more speedy dry, and dispense it a lot easier then the more traditional ways. WHAT IS HARD ABOUT THAT? If it's such a poor idea like you claim, you can exlplain to me why it is becoming such a standard and popular rescue truck feature, and why so many urban muncipalties also have this on their rescue(s)????? And once again, I will try to explain to you that only the secondary/auxillary and rarely needed tools and equipment are stored up top. This frees up MORE compartment space at ground level for the everyday tools. And wouldn't you go up stairs to get in a walk-in rescue as well?????

So let me get this straight? Just because people improve on something, or make an idea better or more efficient, you don't like it? Your car probaly still runs on leaded gasoline.....

Just sounds to me like TruckieBuff's got a bone to pick. I dont understand his problem either.

Some people are just not happy unless they have something to b**** about, which seems to fit Truckie Buff's demeanor. Just like that other jerk the other day---maybe if we all ignore him he'll go away!

East Fishkill has the stairs on their squad? Does it have a hosebed or any type of hose storage since it has a pump and intakes? Ya know I didnt think about it at first when i posted but your right..the big thing with OSHA now so the stairs make more sense then a ladder does plus i'd prefer one on a rescue. I think if my co. didnt go with a demo since we were in a bind we would of gone with a walk around with the stairs. I'll have to hop over the mid hudson bridge one day and head into dutchess to take a look at east fishkill's squad

First off, as stated, there are just some people out there who can never be happy & will always b***h about everything! I am not one to put people and/or their posts down. But as stated, this guy/girl has said NOTHING to back up his "constructive criticism" (aka negative nonsense). If it were "constructive criticism," you would have backed your statments up with some valid points, but you have again & again failed to do so!

As most of you have stated, it seems to me that the Somers Fd has once again done an excellent job on specing out a new piece of apparatus, this time its Rescue-20!

I also happen to like the speedy-dry hopper! I first saw it on a rig out of Rockland at the Peekskill 4th of July parade a few years ago & i loved it! Our Rescue & Rescue-Pumper both carry speedy-dry, but in bags & 5-gallon buckets. What a pain in the a$$! First off, it can be a pain to carry/handle and they take up a ton of space!

The stairs are also an excellent feature, in my opinion, as well as others, obviously! They are much safer than a ladder for obvious reasons. If you are in full PPE, which you should be, it would be much easier/safer to climb stairs than it would be to climb a ladder, where you would be forced to use your feet & hands. If you have large equipment stored in the top-mounted comps. such as stokes, backboards & saws, it would be much easier/safer to carry them up & down on stairs. Two FF's would be able to carry long items such as the stokes and/or backboards up/down the stairs rather than try to "hand" them down to awaiting FF's on the ground.

The compartent space doesn't seem to be as much as an issue as many people may have thought. I prefer a walk-around that is set up like Somers & other Depts. I feel that the walk-ins waste alot of compartment space, however they do have certain pros. Pros would be riding space for members, room to get geared-up en-route & even for rehab purposes. But if you have a cab in the front of the rig, behind the driver/officer cab, than a walk-around would make more sense. As stated, you lose alot of room with a walk-in because you lose the compartment depth.

Anyway, just my 2 cents. Great posts/comments by everyone...well, mostly everyone =D> [-X #-o

And lets keep these forums possitive & stop the non-sense, please! This is a great resource for local & regional emergency service info! If you don't like it and/or refuse to follow the set policies/rules, you can go ahead and remove yourself as a member!

I really like the layout of this rescue and I cant wait to check it out when it finally comes in

Personally, I think what Truckie Buff's biggest problem is he didn't think of it first.

As has been stated, he has yet to make his point on why the stairs are a bad idea. His idea of "constructive criticizim" is anything but constructive and is nothing more than pointless banter. While he's criticizing Somers for doing it, he's also criticizing numerous other departments from the little guys to the big cities.

Let me add my 2 cents here as well-

"TruckieBuff" whoever you are- I'm on that committee and we spent over 2 years of research, planning and a hell of alot of time specing that Rescue! For you to make judgement on what I can or can't spec, come check me out- I think I know what I'm talking about! Before you pass judgement on someone, maybe you should find out who the people are first. I know you're making a general statement, but seeing how you're making it in this post, I'm looking at it, that you are speaking of me and my committee.

Also, specs are made as the community and FD needs them, something that Somers needs, is not the same that someone else needs.

As far as your "Walk-in" that is one hell of a waste for Somers, you obviously have no clue as to how we operate, and what OUR needs are! We have absolutely no need to have a "walk-in" and loose all that space- in case you don't know about the compartment space that's lost with a "walk-in".

Anyway- I can take constructive criticism, but how about giving some??

Well said RES20CUE. I've spent the last four years working on our specs(which the two rigs should be going on line soon) A lot of time and engery goes into it. Every dept needs are different and congrads on a sharp looking truck.

Somers, looks like you have done a fine job constructing another fine piece of apparatus. By the way good use of the unused space, by using the compartments at the top of the apparatus. And yes the "stairway" is needed to get to these compartments.

I dont mean to be negative but just trying to understand better, but how is it efficent and practical to put items on top of the rescue such as your ems equipment, backboards and ropes, insted of the side compartments? I agree the Speedy-dry hopper is an excellent inovation and should be implented on all new rescues, but i dont understand why you would want things put up on a roof? :-k Someone correct me if im wrong, but is there no railing or safety rope on the top of the rescue to prevent someone from falling? All its going to take is one member whos in a rush to trip over him/her self and fall off the truck or the back of the stairs!

The tools and equipment you put in a coffin compartment is at the discretion of a dept. A lot of equipment I have seen stored up top is the equipment not always used. I think a lot of hazmat stuff like booms and decon equipment and I would say rope gear if it is not always used. Like it was said the stairs are alot safer then using the ladder to climb up. Someone correct me if i'm wrong but isn't there plenty of room up top usually to walk around on a truck with coffin compartments. To me it seems to be pretty safe. There is always a slight risk to someone falling off of any truck they are working on top of but from the rescues i have seen they do look a little bit safer then most

21Truck- you're right on-

Our plan is to store equipment that is not used everyday, such as overstock HazMat stuff, long shoring, confined space rescue equipt, and telescoping jacks. There was never a mention of storing everyday use items such as EMS supplies.

It is very safe to walk around up there with "falling off".

Most of your questions could be better answered, if you just wait another couple of weeks and see for yourselves!