Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Westchester

Wrong-way driver killed in 2-vehicle crash on Taconic

22 posts in this topic

AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How many more of these accidents can we have. It's coming to the point that you can't leave your home anymore at any time. Something has to be done, regardless if the driver is impared, tired, lost, depressed, etc. This is happening too much!!!!!!!!!

It's time for Emergency Responders to put thier thinking caps on and think of a way to stop this horrific occurances, and hope one day the county,state, or others finally figure out how to stop this.

Maybe have a strip or two of spikes on every exit ramp so when the drivers attempt to enter, they'll be stopped. Only the ones who purposely do it will go around it, and that's not many of them. Maybe even set up a system to lower them if emergency services needs access.

Just a thought, it would probably cost a good amount though.

Westchester and BBBMF like this

Maybe have a strip or two of spikes on every exit ramp so when the drivers attempt to enter, they'll be stopped. Only the ones who purposely do it will go around it, and that's not many of them. Maybe even set up a system to lower them if emergency services needs access.

I wrote about the exact same concept in the last topic on the wrong way driver on the Tappan Zee. I have even talked to NYS Thruway Audthority. The only idea the state has is do en-large the wrong way signs, or post a overhead sign indicating wrong way/ Due to cuts in state budget cuts, this will never happen. My concern is you never heard of these type of accidents years ago, maybe 1 or 2, but never this many and it always seems to be a underlying condition of the driver. As a first responder I have seen my one too many accidents of this nature and it always seems to have impairment involved. I sure hope alcohol or drugs were not the cause of this young womans life, and thank GOD the other driver survived ( Position of Weed ), so she gets the STUPID award!

My uncle was ran over and killed onthe sidewalk of Fordam Road in the Bronx in front of my Aunt by a drunk driver. My family never recovered from this. I have 0 tolerance for Impared Drivers or Stupid Drivers.

peterose313 and 99subi like this

We stopped maintaining the grass on the medians, barely pick up the trash along the highway, stopped fixing the pot holes and bridges till they are at the total failure point and reduced police, fire & EMS responses because we can no longer afford all these things.

Its unlikely that there will ever be funding for this.

99subi likes this

Yet westchester has the highest taxes in the country and pay nearly $7k a year more on taxes on average but every highway shuts down every rain storm. Time for westchester to rethink some things.

Dinosaur, FF398, calhobs and 3 others like this

Yet westchester has the highest taxes in the country and pay nearly $7k a year more on taxes on average but every highway shuts down every rain storm. Time for westchester to rethink some things.

Yes and why are they so high? In 90% of the US the state pays the medicaid bill. NYS mandates the counties pay for it through county tax. over 70% of the county tax goes to that alone.

60-70% of the taxes go to the school districts and at least in my districts case the voters have approved double digit increases almost every year for the past dozen years. The same taxpayers complain about how high there taxes are.

And the PARKWAYS shut down because they were all deliberatly built in flood plains, hense they all have RIVER in the name of the road (Hutchenson River Parkway, Sawmill River Parkway, Bronx River Parkway). If you "fix" them you will flood villages and peoples homes instead.

Yes we should rethink things, but everytime we suggest a change (like consolidation) everyone screams not in my city, town, village.

We need to also change the way government is structured in NY, but no one is willing to do it.

Edited by Bnechis
billy98988, calhobs, PEMO3 and 4 others like this

The problem is red tape and bulls***t. Village, Towns, Countys, etc will always say they don't have the money or resources to correct a problem, but they find money for more less important things. I understand it's not only or area that has his rash of accidents. But we live and work here and this is our concern in our area. It's time for all of us to fight local and state goverment to correct or solve this problem before more people die. I wish I had the solution for just this problem, maybe they should start with at least better lighting at the entrance and exits of highways and parkways. DAMN! put a huge LED Sign saying "YOUR GOING THE WRONG WAY". Lighting is the cheapest and fastest way to start. Signs are good but after a while trees and weeds grow in front and really at night some of the signs you can't see. Or paint the roadway or use 3M white reflective tape on the road so drivers can see it. It makes me laugh when the county or state requires Emergency Vehicles to hace emergeny reflective paint or tape on the back of our firetrucks, ambulances, or chiefs vehicles, but we can't do anything to the exits or entrances on the roads in out area to make it more safe. Heaven help us!

It makes me laugh when the county or state requires Emergency Vehicles to hace emergeny reflective paint or tape on the back of our firetrucks, ambulances, or chiefs vehicles, but we can't do anything to the exits or entrances on the roads in out area to make it more safe. Heaven help us!

The county, the State and the Feds have no requirement for reflective rears.

NFPA does have a "standard" (for fire dept vehicles) and the manufactures will gladly build you a truck without them if the chief signs a liability waiver.

Westchester, repeat after me, "People are stupid. Very Stupid."

The roads we have, pretty much have not changed greatly in the last 10 years or so. It is not an engineering problem for the most part. You can spend all the money on signs,lights and reflective striping, but the stupid driver that is in a rush, on a phone, laptop, ipad, just too self absorbed to say they are a bad driver, just plain too stupid to not understand how to drive will continue to do stupid things behind the wheel. Just take a walk through a mall or a store, people are too stupid to keep to the right when they walk. Ride a bus or a train, yup there is Mr. Stupid trying to push his way onto the bus or train before letting others off. Society has taught these people their s*** does not stink, and that they are the most important person in the world. It is always someone elses fault, never there own.

Westchester, repeat after me, "People are stupid. Very Stupid."

The roads we have, pretty much have not changed greatly in the last 10 years or so. It is not an engineering problem for the most part. You can spend all the money on signs,lights and reflective striping, but the stupid driver that is in a rush, on a phone, laptop, ipad, just too self absorbed to say they are a bad driver, just plain too stupid to not understand how to drive will continue to do stupid things behind the wheel. Just take a walk through a mall or a store, people are too stupid to keep to the right when they walk. Ride a bus or a train, yup there is Mr. Stupid trying to push his way onto the bus or train before letting others off. Society has taught these people their s*** does not stink, and that they are the most important person in the world. It is always someone elses fault, never there own.

You are so right! But lets look at the past to know.

Seat belts were not needed to be worn, and remember It used to be just a lap belt, now because drivers are worse and vehicles are made of crap we now need nascar restraints.

Cell Phones were not around years ago, now everyone has them glued to their ear.

Vehicles years ago just had am/fm radio, now the center console looks like the star ship enterprise. You need Scotty to set all the channels, time, video channels, etc.

Years ago most women drove sedans, know the shortest women/man drives the biggest truck using a step ladder to get in

And lets not forget GPS! What the hell ever happened to the good old folded map, look where you have to go and that's it, now we have a tiny screen with a blue line and a arrow showing us how to go home.

Yes most people spend most of their lives in the car. But damn't technology is taking over and ignorant drivers love this crap.

You ever heard of using a type writer while driving years ago, now look out ESPN has text messaging contests

Let's not forget Ambien, take a pill and you'll drive to California and not even know it. And let's add a Xanax pill and a beer. Now we got a ticking time bomb.

Instead of renewing drivers licence on line, It should be mandatory for ALL ages to renew every 10 years written and road test.

People have become more stupid! So we have to continue to protect ourselves against them by changing road signs, lights, etc.

This will not be the last wrong way driver! I just hope someone does something fast. I'm going to strap tires to my front bumper just in case.

dave0820 likes this

Seat belts were not needed to be worn, and remember It used to be just a lap belt, now because drivers are worse and vehicles are made of crap we now need nascar restraints.

Back before seatbelts over 50,000+ americans were killed each year in MVA's.

in 2011 is was down to 32,367 the lowest in 62 years. We have more drivers, driving more miles then ever. Maybe seatbelts were needed back then, but we were stupid then as well.

INIT915 likes this

People have become more stupid! So we have to continue to protect ourselves against them by changing road signs, lights, etc.

This will not be the last wrong way driver! I just hope someone does something fast. I'm going to strap tires to my front bumper just in case.

Seat belts have saved countless lives and saved untold millions in healthcare costs. That's the bigger reason for auto safety improvements.

You're right this won't be the last wrong way driver. Just like we haven't responded to the last fire, burglary, or heart attack.

INIT915 likes this

Nothing is going to make things 100% safe, but in my opinion, distractive driving is the cause of many problems and THAT should be a concern for law enforcement. We make laws like no cell phone use or texting while driving, but no one talks about reading, eating, putting on makeup or rummaging through our bags while driving. I believe in most states there are laws against distractive driving, why isn't that enforced more. Cops give out tons of speeding tickets, but ignore other things that are just as dangerous. My guess is a speeding ticket usually doesn't get challenged and the fines are high. If I can see people doing all sorts of strange things in their car while driving, why can't the cops? Just my opinion, for what it's worth.
Westchester likes this

Back before seatbelts over 50,000+ americans were killed each year in MVA's.

in 2011 is was down to 32,367 the lowest in 62 years. We have more drivers, driving more miles then ever. Maybe seatbelts were needed back then, but we were stupid then as well.

I agree 100%. But vehicles are built like crap now a days. They have side curtain air bags,B post air bags, air bags in seats, air bag for back seats. Yes safety standards changed but I feel they changed because of the way people drive today, the speed they do, and the vehicles they drive.If seat belts are lifesaving but there has been reports of accidents where people un-restrained sometime averted serious injury. One of the most common injuries when the bonet(front hood) had lift shocks and during a front collosion the shock would drive straight through the window where the driver or passenger would seat. Thats why Hood shocks were stop being produced.

M complaint is as vehicles get faster, lighter, and made with composite materials more safety devices are needed to compensate the shaby construction.

Vehicles built in early 80s and 70s etc needed less safety due to the vehicle weight and also the speedometer had a govenor which you can set. Remember!

Also less distractions for drivers back then.

Nothing is going to make things 100% safe, but in my opinion, distractive driving is the cause of many problems and THAT should be a concern for law enforcement. We make laws like no cell phone use or texting while driving, but no one talks about reading, eating, putting on makeup or rummaging through our bags while driving. I believe in most states there are laws against distractive driving, why isn't that enforced more. Cops give out tons of speeding tickets, but ignore other things that are just as dangerous. My guess is a speeding ticket usually doesn't get challenged and the fines are high. If I can see people doing all sorts of strange things in their car while driving, why can't the cops? Just my opinion, for what it's worth.

I love watching a cop driving in a patrol car while on the cell phone! If police pulled over every person not paying attention to the road, the officer would never be able to patrol the streets, there's not enough ink in their pen to write tickets

peterose313 likes this

1) I agree 100%. But vehicles are built like crap now a days. They have side curtain air bags,B post air bags, air bags in seats, air bag for back seats. Yes safety standards changed but I feel they changed because of the way people drive today, the speed they do, and the vehicles they drive.

2) If seat belts are lifesaving but there has been reports of accidents where people un-restrained sometime averted serious injury.

3) One of the most common injuries when the bonet(front hood) had lift shocks and during a front collosion the shock would drive straight through the window where the driver or passenger would seat. Thats why Hood shocks were stop being produced.

4) M complaint is as vehicles get faster, lighter, and made with composite materials more safety devices are needed to compensate the shaby construction.

5) Vehicles built in early 80s and 70s etc needed less safety due to the vehicle weight and also the speedometer had a govenor which you can set. Remember!

6) Also less distractions for drivers back then.

1) One of the things that is driving all of those airbags is the high end cars put them in because of market demand. Remember GM in the early 70's had airbags, they proved they saved lives ("in those better built cars") they stopped making them because they felt the public would not pay a few hundreed bucks more (and this was back when the majority felt that seatbelts killed people. Are they really built worst? Why did the imports kill detroit? because US cars were desposable and always in the shop. Are we really driving faster?

2) Yes occasionally someone is thrown out a window and lives as the car flys off a cliff and explodes in mid air, before plunging into the ocean. But we know that 99% of the time you are more likely to die. If we hadd not fought against this argument for 30 years another 20,000 americans would die each year (as that was the main killer).

3) Can you document this? I have never seen this before your post.

4) My 1st car was as fast as my current one, I do not see a whole lot of cars that are faster today. The new designs absorb energy so when you crash the car crushes and the forces on the riders are reduced. Those composits are designed to do that because its safer.

5) That vehicle weight ment the car did well in the crash, but you absorbed the energy and bleed to death from torn organs. Your memory seams clouded by a longing for "the good old days".

My cars and my parents cars never had a govenor.

6) I Agree!

Dinosaur likes this

Kind of unrelated but still important....last week on 287 in Westchester I noticed a car entering weaving a little side to side and only going about 45 miles an hour. As I pulled up next to it I saw an approximately 18 year old female with her cell phone propped up on the steering wheel and both hands TEXTING her eyes were clearly on the phone. I stayed along side and blew my horn at her...she looked up and my wife motioned for her to stop texting...she laughed and gave us the finger! I am a parent of a 21 and 16 year old girl. We exited at the same exit in White Plains and I made sure she had to stop at the light in front of the Westchester. Okay, now what would YOU DO? I got out of my car and went back to her car and screamed at her.."WHAT ARE YOU DOING? She gave me the salute again.......What are we as parents to do? Call our police...but really...what are they going to do....IF THEY COME AT ALL..

WE ALL IN THIS COMMUNITY OF EMT BRAVO need to take the bull by the horns...aren't you tired of reading and seeing these horrible accidents? How can we stop this?

We stopped maintaining the grass on the medians, barely pick up the trash along the highway, stopped fixing the pot holes and bridges till they are at the total failure point and reduced police, fire & EMS responses because we can no longer afford all these things.

Its unlikely that there will ever be funding for this.

I returned for a visit after being away for several years and was appalled at the condition of the highways and medians and overgrowth on the side of the roads impairing vision of the signage.

An overhead banner sign and large signs on the supports posts would be helpful, but the State needed money for all the "Welcome to NY, Andrew Cuomo Governor" signs.

Westchester and Dinosaur like this

Do you have data to back up your statement that cops write tons of speeding tickets but ignore other things that are just as dangerous?

Good old factpinions...

Here's an idea. Some people want to commit suicide but don't want to do physical harm to themselves. Driving the wrong way into high speed traffic is one way to do it 'innocently'. No matter how many signs or 'failsafe' devices you put up, a person determined to die will bypass them. Lets stop blaming the system (which may not actually be broken) and instead fix who is failing to obey the system.

Do you have data to back up your statement that cops write tons of speeding tickets but ignore other things that are just as dangerous?

No official data, other then spending some time in court and listening to the cases....speeding tickets far out number all other traffic offences