spin_the_wheel

Vintage Westchester apparatus

131 posts in this topic

A friend of mine passed away a few months ago and his family gave me his collection of photos. There are boxes filled with photos, negatives, slides and manufacturer delivery photos. Going through it and scanning the good stuff I see there is some Westchester stuff. I'm going to put the good quality stuff up in this thread. He did a lot of photo buying/ trading so if there is a photographers name on the slide I will post it along with the image. First up is a 1964 ALF tiller from Hasting on Hudson.....Ron Bogardus photo.

fdhastingsonhudson64alf.jpg

redtruck75, sfrd18, 210 and 8 others like this

Next time New Rochelle, White Plains, and Peekskill.

x635 likes this

I love Maxims, and the semi open cab looked great especially on tillers. Here is a delivery photo from Maxim of New Rochelle Ladder 2.

What would be interesting is if someone has a photo of this rig towards the end of its career. We can compare the different looks it had from untouched delivery fresh to years of fire duty and additions and modifications made by the department that ran it.

fd-newrochelle_zps5d1e6f69.jpg

Edited by spin_the_wheel
x635, Bnechis, Westfield12 and 4 others like this

Another great looking Maxim tiller. White Plains Ladder 1. I believe this pic was taken at a parade in Nassau County. I guess back in the day rigs from Westchester and Nassau would attend each other parades more then they do today. Love the "bubble" window in the tiller cab.

fd-whiteplains_zps793d59e1.jpg

Besides Maxim I think Mack made some of the best looking fire apparatus. Some people think the American LaFrance 700 series "bathtub" look is the "definitive" American fire engine, I think the Mack B model is. It had its lines in the right places for sure and was the best looking fire engine model ever, in my opinion. Here is Peekskill Centennial Hose Co # 4 semi open cab. Again this was taken I believe at a parade in Nassau county. No photo credit for this and the White Plains rigs. M.Cap collection.

fd-peekskill_zps1a425043.jpg

x635, sfrd18, iaff5045 and 5 others like this

Port Chester Seagrave tiller. This rig must have seen a lot of fire duty in its time. It just went out of service a few years back correct? Gotta love the open tiller cab and to think the tillerman was still tooling around the village in an open tiller cab in the 2000's Cool. Photo by Mike Martinelli

fd-westportchester_zpsdc8adf11.jpg

Next time Pleasantville "patrols" and some more Macks.

Edited by spin_the_wheel
sfrd18, the cat, pcfpr1 and 5 others like this

I love Maxims, and the semi open cab looked great especially on tillers. Here is a delivery photo from Maxim of New Rochelle Ladder 2.

What would be interesting is if someone has a photo of this rig towards the end of its career. We can compare the different looks it had from untouched delivery fresh to years of fire duty and additions and modifications made by the department that ran it.

fd-newrochelle_zps5d1e6f69.jpg

Basicly it was untouched. Below is a pic of it with the replacement Seagrave Ladder 12 (1984 I believe)

post-4072-0-52501700-1376667025.jpg

Its last day in NR found it parked behind Sta. #5. We helped a volunteer crew from northern Vermont get ready to drive it to its new home. They were so thrilled as it was the 1st ladder they would ever have in there county. They drove it home in a snow storm, changing frozen drivers & tillermen every 20 minutes or so.

sfrd18, WCFCX613, x635 and 4 others like this

port chesters ladder went out in 2007-8. I had the pleasure of driving it for years and loved that rig and yes it saw more than its share of fires over the years

sfrd18 and 31TruckiePCFD like this

I'm "assuming" this is Pleasantville Westchester...but you know what happens when you do that. ALF factory photo.

fd-westpleasantvillepatrol_zps0d1de43d.j

x635, sfrd18 and grumpyff like this

I'm "assuming" this is Pleasantville Westchester...but you know what happens when you do that. ALF factory photo.

fd-westpleasantvillepatrol_zps0d1de43d.j

Yes, That is Pleasantville, NY. 1958 American LaFrance. The company has an almost identical photo in its company room. The bell from the ALF carried over to the Hahn in the next photo, but was too tall for the current Ferrara.

Edited by grumpyff
x635 likes this

I really love this style of Mack C Rescue Rig (The BEST was the Old Mount Vernon FD Mack C Box Rescue)

Croton on Hudson classic Mack rescue.

fd-west-crotononhudson_zpsd3ca5128.jpg

nyemt131411 and Chevyman like this

Hastings on Hudson Protection Engine company B model Mack.

fd-westhastingse2_zpse9875c29.jpg

Edited by spin_the_wheel
iaff5045, x635 and sfrd18 like this

One of my favorite all time Westchester rigs. Mamaroneck Seagrave tiller. Anyone out there have any good stories about this rig?

fd-west-mamaroneckseagravetillerbw_zps83

sfrd18, BFD1054 and x635 like this

Didn't the Yonkers Fire Department aquire this rig from Hastings back in the 1980's or thereabouts, and used it as a reserve rig?

Hastings on Hudson Protection Engine company B model Mack.

fd-westhastingse2_zpse9875c29.jpg

iaff5045 likes this

Awesome pictures man - any chance ya found anything from Rockland County?

Edited by ~ CBS ~

One of my favorite all time Westchester rigs. Mamaroneck Seagrave tiller. Anyone out there have any good stories about this rig?

fd-west-mamaroneckseagravetillerbw_zps83

Drove it off it's jacks as the 4 story building fell into the street at the Sea land fire Feb 1984 8 alarm's Port Chester ny
pcfpr1 and CHIEFPHIL like this

Didn't the Yonkers Fire Department aquire this rig from Hastings back in the 1980's or thereabouts, and used it as a reserve rig?

Yes they did !