x635

New E-One Metro: 100' Single Axle Rear Mount Aerial

14 posts in this topic

post-11-0-33862000-1376930401.jpg

Photo from official product press release and webpage: http://www.e-one.com/products/aerials/metro-100

New materials and engineering technologies are making 100' single axle aerials possible again. Time will tell, but then again there are a lot of single axle engines and quints out there nowadays that outweigh the E-One Metro.

Has anyone had a chance to see this truck up close at any of the trade shows over the summer? What advantages could this give some departments around here?

sfrd18 and EmsFirePolice like this

You can fit 2 in a firehouse where only 1 can fit now and double the ladders in the county .

sfrd18 likes this

Nice features, much akin to past E-one 100 footers that were so well liked. The short length and incredibly small footprint make this a sure winner if it holds up. Boston was pretty much full of the older version before they took them off the market and they went looking at other products. I can imagine the Jakes would love to have these with the short 11 foot jack spread.

Has anyone had a chance to see this truck up close at any of the trade shows over the summer? What advantages could this give some departments around here?

I saw it at the Fire Expo in Harrisburg back in May. I thought it was pretty nice for what it was. It would work great in my city, if we had the staffing for a "dry" truck. We've been running an E-One HP75 Quint for about 11.5 years now and it's been a very good fit for us.

With the loss of staffing and stations a couple decades ago, we were no longer able to staff a dedicated truck (Aerialscope) and maintain a staffed suppression capable unit in both stations. We ran with engines in both stations until acquiring the Quint. We could use a longer aerial, but we have a lot of tight streets and most tandem ladders would be too big to get around effectively. From what I've seen of it's specs, this unit is pretty close to the same size as our quint (which also carries our extrication equipment).

If we had the ability to maintain staffing for a third unit on-duty, this unit would be another great fit for us. Longer aerial, possibly shorter jack span, additional ground ladders, plenty of space for equipment (could make it our extrication unit and expand our rescue capability) and all for about the same overall size as our current aerial.

x635 likes this

I LOVE IT! I am a big E-One fan, and a bigger "truck" fan, so this is a nice fit.

We also run a 2006 HP75, and while it is nice, we are certainly handicapped by the shortfall of the "just" 75' stick. As I have mentioned in the past, even though the majority of our fires are in SFD, the setback from the road is what kills us. That extra 25 feet would come in handy on more than 1 fire that I can immediatly recall.

Atv300 and x635 like this

My job tried it for a day. Mixed reviews, E-One is new to us, so nobody knew what to expect. . It turned like our pumpers, and we had no trouble setting it up on streets where we frequently have to shortjack now. A few of the concerns were the inability to set up on hills that we can now, ( the bubble gauge has either green or red, no in-between) and the vertical stack wouldn't work for our exhaust vent system, unless we converted our reserve rig somehow to match Set-up time was maybe a little slower than our ALF/LTI light duty aerial. The cab was OK, however, there were concerns about the huge hump that was present to accomodate the AC unit and low profile roof. You couldn't see out the front of the truck or communicate with the Company officer from the back seats, unless you bent way down. Likewise, the company officer couldn't see the fireman in the backseat for the same reason. We currently use ALF/LTI aerials

Edited by Newburgher
sfrd18 and x635 like this

Nichols brought one up to look at. Drives nice, jacks only come out 29". But it still doesn't navigate well on our tight streets, which is why our job needs a TDA.

x129K likes this

Take a look at wappingers new ladder picture on this site ... also 100' ladder rear mount ...single axle .. but with bucket

heres what i posted on another forum:

I recently demo'd one. Heres some observations:
-it certainly is manueverable and easy to operate. wherever you can put most top mount pumpers you can put one of these.
-i felt the tip was really wobbly and bouncy being a lighter duty aerial.
-The waterway is limited to 600 gpm.
-For those depts that like wicked ladder complements, this will be lacking some.
-there are some limits to capacities depending on elevation and extention and if water is flowing or not that would remind some folks who've been around a while what you needed to remember when using 200 or 250lb ladders. it feels like one when climbing.
-its not a replacement for a tiller
-no place for a stokes or RIT basket or long tools other than 6 hooks.
-the jack spread was good as is typical with e-one aerials

Take a look at wappingers new ladder picture on this site ... also 100' ladder rear mount ...single axle .. but with bucket

You got to be kidding me ????, it also has this thing in the middle..... called a pump.

Danger likes this

Never been a big E-One fan, but my attitude has changed somewhat due to the rig we use at work. We can't kill that bast#rd..no matter how hard we try :P . As for this Truck, well it's not a bad looking rig and it is a true Truck (no pump just as it should be) so those are benefits. Without actually working with one I'd say it would probably be a serviceable ladder for the money for alot of departments that need a truck but don't have alot of fire duty. Ultimately though it comes down to the needs vs wants and give and take. If you're in the market for a truck you should ask a few questions: what do you need it for? how much do you have to spend? and do you have the people to staff it? As for the rig itself, there's always trade offs when it comes to apparatus. In the minus column, it's a light duty aerial so there will be limitations with the aerial, but it's still useful for roof crews, as a water tower and for plucking a few victims. On the plus side, smaller size means accessibility and that's a pretty important one. What use is that shiny new dual axle 100ft aerial with a 1000lb tip load ladder/ tower/ quint /rescue /engine if you can't get into a scene. Bigger isn't always better and this rig would probably fill the Aerial void quite nicely for those who need it filled.

Edited by FFPCogs
Capejake72 likes this

attachicon.gifmetro100.jpg

Photo from official product press release and webpage: http://www.e-one.com/products/aerials/metro-100

New materials and engineering technologies are making 100' single axle aerials possible again. Time will tell, but then again there are a lot of single axle engines and quints out there nowadays that outweigh the E-One Metro.

what a great jacking system.nice