x635

FDNY New High Water Evacuation Truck

23 posts in this topic

FDNY High Water Evacuation Truck

2013 International 4x4/Ferrara

Shop # IM13006

Note these are not only used for evacuation purposes, but to get firefighters and equipment to and from scenes in flood situations.

post-11-0-92625000-1381355615.jpg

Why does this FDNY rig have NYS plates on it? I thought Fire Apparatus did not need plates?

Some have department plates/no plates and some have official plates. I don't think there is a true rhyme or reason. IMHO

Edited by lafd55

All vehicles have a registration and plates. Emergency vehicles dont have to display them.

Its a nice truck. Wonder why they just didnt buy some Deuce in a half trucks from Military Surplus. Durable,High off the ground and cheap

bruce likes this

I will almost guaranty these were purchased with grant money due to the amount of FIRE apparatus destroyed by Hurricane Sandy.

And the feds are not giving the city any warranty on surplus military equipment.

Stay Safe..

EmsFirePolice likes this

All vehicles have a registration and plates. Emergency vehicles dont have to display them.

Fire Apparatus are not considered "vehicles" by NYS DMV. You may register them, but it is not required. Up till about 15 years ago a drivers licences was not required by NYS to drive them because they were not considered a motor vehicle....Only NYS could they come up with this stuff.

EmsFirePolice and markmets415 like this

Any more details on the vehicle? Did they raise the air intake and exhaust so it can maneuver deeper waters?

This unit is not in service and the plate is probably a dealer plate used for delivery from La.

This unit is not in service and the plate is probably a dealer plate used for delivery from La.

That is not a dealer or transporter plate. It is an "official" plate.

The plates with the "official" designation are only issued to municipalities, such as cities, towns or villages, or governmental authorities such as the MTA.

I see that FDNY sometimes buys Internationals and sometimes Freightliners. The MIRV truck was a Freightliner and was 4x4 but they went International for these.

I see that FDNY sometimes buys Internationals and sometimes Freightliners. The MIRV truck was a Freightliner and was 4x4 but they went International for these.

Like all things FDNY (and Gov't for that matter) it's about the competitive bidding process, nothing more.

JCESU likes this

Where Are They Station & How Many Do They Have

I believe there are only three at this time, assigned to severe flood prone areas, such as Far Rockaway.

I believe there are only three at this time, assigned to severe flood prone areas, such as Far Rockaway.

The population of Far Rockaway is reported to be about 29,000 with the average household owning less than 1 car, so they are heavily reliant on MTA or the City to move them out.

As Police Chief Brody uttered in Jaws: ''we are going to need a bigger boat" comes to mind

INIT915 likes this

What do they carry such to make them a "high water evacuation truck"?

Height, some engine modifications (air intake, etc), and 4x4 to drive through flooded areas, and room in the back to take back evacuees, or bring firefighters and equipment. There was talk about putting a Zodiac in the back, but don't know if that will happen.

Will it be stationed on the Saw Mill Pkwy?

No. SMRP is in Westchester. It will be stationed as I mentioned above.

My wife keeps telling me that I'm not funny and it's even harder on-line.

I was joking in light of this discussion: http://www.emtbravo.net/index.php/topic/49497-paving-to-reduce-saw-mill-parkway-flooding-set-to-start/

I just pictured the guy from the "Queen, my dishes please" commerical, "He didn't get the joke"

DaRock98 and JackEMT like this

Here's a shot of the back, and the boarding ladder stowed on the side..

post-11-0-59811400-1382376031.jpg

post-11-0-20112300-1382376051.jpg