tommyguy

Working Fire New Rochelle JCC

14 posts in this topic

The New Rochelle Fire Department responded to a working fire at the Mid-Westchester Jewish Community Center on Wilmot Road near the border with Scarsdale Wednesday evening. Engines 25, 23, 21 and Ladders 13 and 12 responded on the initial assignment. Engine 22 and TL11 were special-called.

Yonkers FD Squad 11, Truck 75 and Battalion 2 were M/A at NRFD Station One with NRFD Eng 24.

The fire began in a sauna room in the rear of the building around 5 00 PM and was declared under control by 7 00 PM. Below is a news link with six photos taken at the scene:

News Link

x635 likes this

What frequency were they using? I couldn't find them

I know M/A units were on Fire 18.

New Rochelle M/A units do not use Fire 18, they use NRFD Dispatch

Now that many have adequate fireground handi-talkies for use at a fire scene, thus not interfering with the dispatch frequency and visa versa, why at a routine fire must mutual aid companies switch to a county channel if these units have compatablity with the local frequency. Doing this the relocated units have no idea what is going on with the fire and what to expect unless they constantly switch the radio and the folks at the fire have no idea what is going on in the rest of the City unless they do the same..

Certainly, a massive event with many units coming in, a common frequency would be warranted

Now that many have adequate fireground handi-talkies for use at a fire scene, thus not interfering with the dispatch frequency and visa versa, why at a routine fire must mutual aid companies switch to a county channel if these units have compatablity with the local frequency. Doing this the relocated units have no idea what is going on with the fire and what to expect unless they constantly switch the radio and the folks at the fire have no idea what is going on in the rest of the City unless they do the same..

Certainly, a massive event with many units coming in, a common frequency would be warranted

Also remaining local units (ln this case Engine 24) would not be able to hear/talk to the mutual aid units (if they switched to county 18) as locals stay on local dispatch. E24, Sq11, L75 & B2 responded to a smoke in a structure downtown, they need to hear/talk to each other.

x635, tommyguy, wraftery and 1 other like this

So many frequencies now and we don't use them to our advantage.

The new system allows you to do two things: Talk to somebody or not talk to somebody.

Gone are the days where the IC required 8 men at the CP because there were 8 different frequencies operation on the fireground with none able to talk to eachother. Then, the IC might have to wait 2 minutes to get free air time to call another unit to the scene.

NRFD's radio plan looks like it could use a little fixin, Barry

I can almost bet that Walter never had 8 aides at the command post!

So many frequencies now and we don't use them to our advantage.

The new system allows you to do two things: Talk to somebody or not talk to somebody.

Gone are the days where the IC required 8 men at the CP because there were 8 different frequencies operation on the fireground with none able to talk to eachother. Then, the IC might have to wait 2 minutes to get free air time to call another unit to the scene.

NRFD's radio plan looks like it could use a little fixin, Barry

Nope our plan allows every portable radio in the county to operate on our fire ground,

Today we had a little drill: FDNY, WC-DES (com unit), Eastchester (Eng), Fairview (Eng), Greenville (Eng), Hartsdale (Eng), Larchmont (Eng), Mt. Vernon (Eng), Montrose VA (Eng), New Rochelle (eng, lad, msu), Pelham (Eng), Pelham Manor (Eng), Scarsdale (Eng), White Plains (Eng, step ladder), Yonkers (eng, lad, com unit) & OFPC. (I think I got everyone)

Doing live fire training, highrise and residential, FAST/Mayday training. Also working on command & communications issues.

For communications, everyone was using one of 3 common fireground channels (based on scenario). everyone was able to talk to who they needed to. In addition FDNY & NRFD had E.F.A.S. operating and we could see each others radio traffic and we could see all of the FDNY maydays on our system as they came in. NRFD rolled out SIMS II as part of our EFAS command board. We were able to see the air levels of all NRFD & YFD scba's and their pass alarm status.

wraftery likes this

I can almost bet that Walter never had 8 aides at the command post!

5/23,1993 He had me. I had 8.

So therefore, you are wrong, he had 9. I can dig out the communications plan for the incident I am referring to if you need verification.

Nope our plan allows every portable radio in the county to operate on our fire ground,

Today we had a little drill: FDNY, WC-DES (com unit), Eastchester (Eng), Fairview (Eng), Greenville (Eng), Hartsdale (Eng), Larchmont (Eng), Mt. Vernon (Eng), Montrose VA (Eng), New Rochelle (eng, lad, msu), Pelham (Eng), Pelham Manor (Eng), Scarsdale (Eng), White Plains (Eng, step ladder), Yonkers (eng, lad, com unit) & OFPC. (I think I got everyone)

Doing live fire training, highrise and residential, FAST/Mayday training. Also working on command & communications issues.

For communications, everyone was using one of 3 common fireground channels (based on scenario). everyone was able to talk to who they needed to. In addition FDNY & NRFD had E.F.A.S. operating and we could see each others radio traffic and we could see all of the FDNY maydays on our system as they came in. NRFD rolled out SIMS II as part of our EFAS command board. We were able to see the air levels of all NRFD & YFD scba's and their pass alarm status.

I stand corrected, Barry. The thread sounded like NRFD was using a "local" fireground freq that mutual aid did not have access to or were not advised to go to channel #xxx. Thanks for the clarification.

Also, that sounded like a good drill. Wish I was there.

Bnechis likes this

I stand corrected, Barry. The thread sounded like NRFD was using a "local" fireground freq that mutual aid did not have access to or were not advised to go to channel #xxx. Thanks for the clarification.

Also, that sounded like a good drill. Wish I was there.

No we are using a local dispatch channel. All of our MA has access and if we got some unit that did not, our guides have dispatch in our portables.

When the county was designing the trunked system, we met with them and the engineers and they said it would not meet our routine needs and suggested we develop our own system....so we did.

tommyguy likes this

Step Ladder? Is that what you guys call a 75' quint? :P

Bnechis likes this

Step Ladder? Is that what you guys call a 75' quint? :P

LOL

No WPFD had a couple of ladders out of service so they did not have a ladder to send, so the truck company drove down in a spare engine, but they operated as a truck.

antiquefirelt likes this