Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

The Hosebed With A 15" Walkway

16 posts in this topic

I really like this idea. Takes a lot of the effort and danger of climbing over a hose bed to pack hose away. What does everyone else think?

post-11-0-23600800-1389629236.jpg

If you feel you can spare having the extra hose, sure.

If you have space to spare like that, you spec'd the rig poorly. I can't say I agree with it being all too difficult to simply stand or kneel on one hose load to pack another.

That was kind of where I was going with that. I've never had such a problem with it...

That was kind of where I was going with that. I've never had such a problem with it...

I agree. there is a reason just about every fire dept engine company carries about the same amount of LDH and attack lines. You just never know what you need and when you will need it.

Honestly I'd be worried about back injuries trying to pack hose in there.... You'd be standing without the ability to bend at the knees and dragging hose using nothing but your lower back as motive power... I'd rather have another few hundred feet and kneel to pack hose.

bigrig77 and BFD1054 like this

If you have space to spare like that, you spec'd the rig poorly. I can't say I agree with it being all too difficult to simply stand or kneel on one hose load to pack another.

Agreed. This is nothing more than a waste of space. Sometimes making thing "easier" or "safer" makes them less useful too when put into practice.

Honestly I'd be worried about back injuries trying to pack hose in there.... You'd be standing without the ability to bend at the knees and dragging hose using nothing but your lower back as motive power... I'd rather have another few hundred feet and kneel to pack hose.

Right with you. I can't imagine how this makes packing hose easier. I see more injuries.

Anyone note the load? With so little hose how about just dropping the divider heights and make wide low loads. With narrow tall packed loads the guy standing on the back step still is loading over his head. By lowering the loads its safer for more than just one guy. Plus if they are stretching off the back step easier for the nozzle FF.

Also is that a walkway or just a currently unoccupied section of hose bed? The hose is not or not entirely pre-connected so just maybe currently vacant storage

dwcfireman and velcroMedic1987 like this

One of the main things I think about when an engine company is designed is the hose bed. Our dept uses the rear or business end of the apparatus 99% of the time. I am much more concerned about getting the hose off rather than packing it, IE: low workable hose bed. I can take all day to repack the hose.

We had 2 of our engines with the walkway, it had advantages and disadvantages and the main disadvantage was like posted elsewhere, it was tough on the back packing hose especially as you get on in years. I for 1 am glad we don't have those rigs anymore for that reason only, but I sure do miss those 2 MACKS (1962 & 1984).

We had 2 of our engines with the walkway, it had advantages and disadvantages and the main disadvantage was like posted elsewhere, it was tough on the back packing hose especially as you get on in years. I for 1 am glad we don't have those rigs anymore for that reason only, but I sure do miss those 2 MACKS (1962 & 1984).

My Department had many Engines like this up until 1990. It was a popular feature in Volunteer Departments in the North East especially on Mack trucks. Believe it or not back in the day the "bench seats" above the hose beds were usually filled with many bodies gearing up!

view1.jpg Photos circa 1971

view2.jpg

Edited by spin_the_wheel
JM15 likes this

Our 62 MACK was actually copied from a long island rig and yes it had seats, 4 cushioned seats that opened up to pack hose. When we were writing specs for our 84 MACK we could not call them seats we had to call them doors, if they were "seats" we would have had tohave seat belts. We actually had a door installed on the rear of the walkway to make use of the space under the walkway.

Anyone note the load? With so little hose how about just dropping the divider heights and make wide low loads. With narrow tall packed loads the guy standing on the back step still is loading over his head. By lowering the loads its safer for more than just one guy. Plus if they are stretching off the back step easier for the nozzle FF.

Also, lower hose loads lowers the center of gravity of the vehicle (albeit by not much) to make the vehicle easier/safer to drive.

Also, lower hose loads lowers the center of gravity of the vehicle (albeit by not much) to make the vehicle easier/safer to drive.

Generally, the lower hose bed is created by making the horizontal water tank a vertical tank (in front of the hose bed) and their is no change in the center of gravity as you have moved some of the water up into the space that use to be occupied by hose.