x635

Answering the alarm: Latinos bolster sagging ranks of local volunteer fire departments

24 posts in this topic

I'm glad to see

Esteban Hernández, there was a perception to overcome when it came to volunteering for his local fire department. “I always wanted to join but I thought it was this racial thing — that you had to know someone to get in,” said Hernández, 28, a Port Chester firefighter who moved from El Salvador when he was 5. “(Latinos) think ‘there’s no way they’re going to accept me.’ That’s their mentality. But then they realize you’re treated like a normal person. There’s no discriminating.”

Full article: http://www.lohud.com/article/20140113/NEWS02/301130019/Answering-alarm-Latinos-bolster-sagging-ranks-local-volunteer-fire-departments

nydude2473 and SageVigiles like this

Good article which will hopefully open doors throughout the volunteer fire service. VFDs are community based organizations which means recruitment efforts should reach out to ALL members of the community.

nydude2473 likes this

I think it is great that we can tap into the latino workforce. Now how do we solve the communications problems that go with it. A new problem for instructors is non English speaking students. Dept's are asked to send an interpreter to all the classes for ff-1 if the student needs it. This is what OFPC has suggested as a means to help the student. Now the problem, what happens after the new recruit passes ff-1 and is on the fireground? Has your dept planned for the potential communications difficulties?

I think it is great that we can tap into the latino workforce. Now how do we solve the communications problems that go with it. A new problem for instructors is non English speaking students. Dept's are asked to send an interpreter to all the classes for ff-1 if the student needs it. This is what OFPC has suggested as a means to help the student. Now the problem, what happens after the new recruit passes ff-1 and is on the fireground? Has your dept planned for the potential communications difficulties?

Although limiting I don't think requiring proficiency in English is unreasonable as a prerequisite, just as it is for many jobs. Communication is a key element of fireground effectiveness and safety. Ultimately I think most prospects will have a good working knowledge of the language anyway since it would be just as frustrating for the student as it is the teacher for them to try to get by without it. .

Edited by FFPCogs

Danbury has a volunteer company in one of the most heavily non-English speaking neighborhoods and the department uses it to their advantage, especially when it's time for fire prevention week.

First of all, what impresses me the most here is the fact that the journal news has printed a positive article about the emergency services. Secondly, I am glad to see that the Hispanic population has an interest in joining the volunteer ranks in their community. I do agree with those if you that have mentioned a language barrier. Perhaps one solution would be the OFPC creating a language program specifically geared towards fire ground operations. I know there may be quite a bit involved in this but it could be an option. Thoughts?

First of all, what impresses me the most here is the fact that the journal news has printed a positive article about the emergency services. Secondly, I am glad to see that the Hispanic population has an interest in joining the volunteer ranks in their community. I do agree with those if you that have mentioned a language barrier. Perhaps one solution would be the OFPC creating a language program specifically geared towards fire ground operations. I know there may be quite a bit involved in this but it could be an option. Thoughts?

We have a area in our city that is mostly "latino". That company had complained that they couldn't understand the civilians when they went on calls. A spanish teacher was hired to give that company spanish lessons. How effective do you think that was? Nice idea on paper. In a 5/10 year cycle how many members are still now. We have used our FF's with a second language skill whenever we can. BUT....

Now back to my original post, my bigger concern is, as a fire officer that is not bi-lingual, how would I communicate with a non English speaking ff, who only passed ff-1 because he had an interpreter?

and I don't care what language or nationality it is that cant be understood.

Morningjoe likes this

I believe that despite IFSTA making Spanish language textbooks that NFPA 1001 requires the ability to speak and read English.

A few years ago at a VFD conference on a cruise ship (yes it is a fun way to accomplish training) we got a tour of the fire protection systems by the ship's safety officer. He was Italian and said that since his fire crew was made up of employees from other sections of the ship that respond when needed, he had 56 different languages spoken by members of his team. Because of this English was the only common language and as such operations were in English. This meant that speaking English was a requirement to be on the fire control team. I found it interesting that in an international setting, he was far less hung up about English that we seem to be in an English speaking country.

They're an invaluable asset if they can do all that is expected of them - including speaking English if that is the commonly used language of a department.

Do departments require these folks to be legal citizens? Is it required?

We got people using different slang or "cool" terms on the fireground already, and that causes confusion!

Same reason EVERY air traffic control tower communicates in English. You must speak and understand one language.

IHV II likes this

Same reason EVERY air traffic control tower communicates in English. You must speak and understand one language.

Never heard of that or even thought of it, is that worldwide?

Maybe we should recruit paralised people and pair them with normal people to carry them through the academy or to push there wheelchairs in the parades.

*paralized. *their. If you are going to be so negative in all of your posts please use proper spelling.

*paralized. *their. If you are going to be so negative in all of your posts please use proper spelling.

Paralyzed, if you're going to correct people's spelling, please use proper spelling. Sorry, had to break balls.

IHV II likes this

Paralyzed, if you're going to correct people's spelling, please use proper spelling. Sorry, had to break balls.

S***. Not the first time autocorrect screwed me. Lol.

Maybe we should recruit paralised people and pair them with normal people to carry them through the academy or to push there wheelchairs in the parades.

maybe you should grow up! do you have issue.s with people of color and what they speak?.this is what this web site is coming to now?

FFEMT150 likes this

maybe you should grow up! do you have issue.s with people of color and what they speak?.this is what this web site is coming to now?

You can not possibly think that what this guy wrote should be taken seriously? The fire service is being pussified daily! This was just pointing it out. Getting a translator for someone taking a class where the end result is running in to an enclosed space on fire?!?!?!

SmokeyJoe likes this

You can not possibly think that what this guy wrote should be taken seriously? The fire service is being pussified daily! This was just pointing it out. Getting a translator for someone taking a class where the end result is running in to an enclosed space on fire?!?!?!

we go. everybodygoes.thats what i say.

Heck, we have guys on the fireground nowadays that speak perfect English and can't communicate!

In the history of the fire service, there were a lot of immigrants recruited who couldn't speak English. If this current population wants to bolster the ranks, I'm sure they'd have the desire to learn English as well. And just like we send people to all different kinds of fire courses, why not send them to an ESL class at the local community college? Are we really in the position to turn away people who want to help? And can their language skills benefit the community when a firefighter can communicate with citizens in their native language, therefore improving fireground communication?

Speaking and understanding English is not the same as speaking it and no one else understands. You just tell them to speak slow. I remember 20 years ago the first gen Italians and Germans, the accent so thick, you just had to listen to it slowly and you understood it.

Heck, we have guys on the fireground nowadays that speak perfect English and can't communicate!

In the history of the fire service, there were a lot of immigrants recruited who couldn't speak English. If this current population wants to bolster the ranks, I'm sure they'd have the desire to learn English as well. And just like we send people to all different kinds of fire courses, why not send them to an ESL class at the local community college? Are we really in the position to turn away people who want to help? And can their language skills benefit the community when a firefighter can communicate with citizens in their native language, therefore improving fireground communication?

Ok Seth, I hope you are never in a life and death moment as a paramedic, and you ask for some med, a line setup ANYTHING, and your emt partner doesn't speak or communicate English, (but had an interpreter help him take his class), that you come away with the same liberal thinking, as the family looks on and the patient is dying.

Let anybody become anything they want in America, but this is called EMERGENCY service for a reason. Learn the language FIRST, then become chief of the dept if that's what you want to do. And you are right in one respect, communication is one of if not the leading cause's of problems when Line of Duty deaths occur. I don't think we are going to help that by putting more people on the fire ground that need to have an scba and interpreter.

CFI609D likes this

Ok Seth, I hope you are never in a life and death moment as a paramedic, and you ask for some med, a line setup ANYTHING, and your emt partner doesn't speak or communicate English, (but had an interpreter help him take his class), that you come away with the same liberal thinking, as the family looks on and the patient is dying.

Let anybody become anything they want in America, but this is called EMERGENCY service for a reason. Learn the language FIRST, then become chief of the dept if that's what you want to do. And you are right in one respect, communication is one of if not the leading cause's of problems when Line of Duty deaths occur. I don't think we are going to help that by putting more people on the fire ground that need to have an scba and interpreter.

I'm not saying let them speak a foreign language and not any English. Get them to a level of proficiency before letting them take classes or join a department. If they have the want and will, they'll want to learn the language so they can help Then have them change bottles, pack hose, etc until confident they cant communicate at a proficient level.

And, when they do learn English, I've found having a bilingual partner is an asset. They can often translate, which can affect care greatly. It's often a relief to the family, who, during a crisis, can have a better idea of what's going on. You can't work EMS if you can't speak English, even with an interpreter. To begin with, you need to be able to communicate with medical control and write in English. And most, if not all, agencies require that you are able to speak, read, and write English.

Also, sick is sick.. If someone speaks a little English, and is taking English classes, I'd have no problem with them riding third until they are proficient in speaking english. Bagging and doing compressions doesn't require much. Carrying patients or equipment doesn't require much. When you need extra hands and those hands are not there can have a great affect on care.

This has nothing to do with "illegals", this has to do with the fact they are already here, many have skillsets not being used from their home countries, and volunteer departments, especially in areas with a high concentration of immigrants, shouldn't be turning people away.

I'm not saying let them speak a foreign language and not any English. Get them to a level of proficiency before letting them take classes or join a department. If they have the want and will, they'll want to learn the language so they can help Then have them change bottles, pack hose, etc until confident they cant communicate at a proficient level.

And, when they do learn English, I've found having a bilingual partner is an asset. They can often translate, which can affect care greatly. It's often a relief to the family, who, during a crisis, can have a better idea of what's going on. You can't work EMS if you can't speak English, even with an interpreter. To begin with, you need to be able to communicate with medical control and write in English. And most, if not all, agencies require that you are able to speak, read, and write English.

Also, sick is sick.. If someone speaks a little English, and is taking English classes, I'd have no problem with them riding third until they are proficient in speaking english. Bagging and doing compressions doesn't require much. Carrying patients or equipment doesn't require much. When you need extra hands and those hands are not there can have a great affect on care.

This has nothing to do with "illegals", this has to do with the fact they are already here, many have skillsets not being used from their home countries, and volunteer departments, especially in areas with a high concentration of immigrants, shouldn't be turning people away.

I agree with you as far as learning English BEFORE they enter any classes. That isn't always the case with Volunteers entering FF-1 classes. All I want is communications / safety, And for anybody reading this, it isn't about being the chief, any officer or member who could be partnered up with an individual (who may be the hardest worker on the scene) who cant speak or understand what you just told him/her, is a liability.

Bnechis likes this